It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2003, 02:05 PM   #1

mgiag HB User
Question scar tissue in bladder?

Hello,
I am a 26 year old female, and I have had a few UTI's in the past 5 years. My most recent infection was back in November, and it was not immediately cured with antibiotics. Eventually, the urgent symptoms got better, but I was still left with some discomfort with urination. My family doc. sent me to a urologist who put me through an IVP and cystoscopy. All he came back with was that I have scar tissue in my bladder from the infections I have had and this is causing my problems. His only other cause of concern is that I have microscopic amounts of blood in my urine, but he sent the sample out for a cytology test and it came back negative for any cancerous cells.

After that long-winded story, I guess my question is this.. Has anyone ever heard of having scar tissue in their bladder? I'm not in pain, but just discomfort. And if it is possible to have scar tissue in the bladder, will the symptoms ever ease away, or will they only get worse with time?

I just want to know if there is a light at the end of this tunnel, or if I need to get a second opinion (not looking forward to any more cystoscopies, though).

Sorry for the long message, Thanks for you help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2003, 08:54 PM   #2
Inactive

ds4832 HB User
may i ask what type of symptoms youre having?.i ask because i've been dealing with some symptoms for the past 9 weeks and am scheduled next week for a cystoscope..i'm hoping that some answers will come from this..my urine is showing no signs of infection and the IVP i had done last week showed nothing abnormal....how was the cystoscope?..were you put under general anesthesia or a local?...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2003, 06:59 AM   #3

mgiag HB User
My symptoms are mainly twinges after I urinate, a mild feeling of still having to go after I have just gone, and occasional burning. The weird thing about these symptoms is that they are not constant. Peeing is like a box of chocolates for me, I never know what I am going to get (trying to keep sense of humor).

The cystoscope I had was at the dr. office. It is my understanding that they only put you under when they do a cystoscope with a hydrodistension. It only lasted about 5 minutes. It is about the same level of pain/uncomfortableness as having a catheter inserted. I didn't particularly enjoy it. I had mine in the morning and those first few times I went afterwards were like peeing razor blades. But I drank lots of water and took a pyridum tablet right after it was over, and I felt much better by the evening.

I hope that helps. Good Luck.

Old 05-22-2003, 01:31 AM   #4
Inactive

ds4832 HB User
thanks for the information..i hope youre feeling better..?..i had my cystoscopy today (5/21)..was nothing to it..i *** scared because i had listened to a friend of mine who recently had one and she made it out to be some barbaric procedure..anyway, the scope showed mild irritation of the bladder wall...the dr gave me 3 doses of Cipro and Usept to take as needed (an analgesic/antispasmodic/antininfective)..i'm hoping this will get me back to normal..i've been dealing with this for the last 10 weeks, constantly..the feeling of having to urinate all the time is enough to drive you crazy....i hope you feel better soon and thanks again for the info.. ..diana

Old 05-31-2003, 05:06 PM   #5

Megan2 HB User
Hi - I've been dealing with a similar situation. Have u ever heard of Interstital Cystitis? Thousands of people have this condition, & I am hoping that the media, etc will bring some light to this disease. M

Old 05-31-2003, 11:21 PM   #6
Inactive

ds4832 HB User
do you have interstitial cystitis?..if so, what are your symptoms and how were you diagnosed?

Old 06-02-2003, 07:14 AM   #7

mgiag HB User
I have heard of IC, but I was told that the cystoscopy was the most common means of diagnosis, and that result was negative for me. Have you been diagnosed with IC, and are the symptoms you have similar to what I experience? It was my understanding that with IC, you had to run to the bathroom many times a day, and I don't have to do that, I just have a problem with being uncomfortable and having some burning when I go. But my UTI results always are negative.

Thanks for your input!

Old 06-03-2003, 06:40 PM   #8

Megan2 HB User
In 2 days I will actually have procedures (scope & dilation)to determine if I have IC & to increase urethra/bladder. I've been dealing with the burning upon voiding, as well as frequency, for many many years. Never diag. as IC, but now really want to know. My symptoms seem to come and go, depending on food & liquid consumption, as well as vitamins and/or aspirin! No, UTI! Mainly no UTI due to drinking plenty of fluids to keep the acid low in my system! This hasn't been fun. I hope this info helps. M

Old 06-03-2003, 11:18 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User
How do food and liquid control it? What exactly do you eat that triggers it?

Old 06-04-2003, 06:23 PM   #10

Megan2 HB User
Usually foods which are acidic (ie. apples, oranges, sour cream, chocolate, coffee) are irritants. Liquids: alcohol, juices. Mainly what's agreeable is water! Too boring though! So u limit amt & how often! If too much is consumed, then I have to void too often, which also irritates the urethra! Some days are good (can't say "Normal") but other days u wish you could replace that area! Do u have IC or something sim? M

Closed Thread