It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2004, 03:49 PM   #1
Inactive

Emsybobs HB User
Can't empty bladder.

Had an ultrasound of my bladder today - they took a picture with it full then after had gone to toilet. There was still 50ml of fluid left - they said this not normal. Anyone know reason for this? xxx

Old 01-14-2004, 07:52 PM   #2
Inactive

j_f_2003 HB User
Re: Can't empty bladder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emsybobs
Had an ultrasound of my bladder today - they took a picture with it full then after had gone to toilet. There was still 50ml of fluid left - they said this not normal. Anyone know reason for this? xxx
I had trouble emptying and my problem was due to stenosis (narrowing of the urethra) During an office cystoscopy while I was awake with local numbing jelly around the urethra, the dr. found that he had to dilate the urethra. The rest of the cystoscopy exam went fine. Not saying this is your problem, but this was mine that caused me not to empty completely.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2004, 10:51 AM   #3
(female)

Esmo77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_f_2003
I had trouble emptying and my problem was due to stenosis (narrowing of the urethra) During an office cystoscopy while I was awake with local numbing jelly around the urethra, the dr. found that he had to dilate the urethra. The rest of the cystoscopy exam went fine. Not saying this is your problem, but this was mine that caused me not to empty completely.
I was diagnosed with a collapsed bladder at birth. They removed 1/2 of it when I turned 3 and now I am 37 (today!!). Anyway they call my problem a neurogenic bladder and since it will not empty completely I have to do intermittant caths 4 x a day to aviod infection. I have been doing this for about 12 years now and it is just a part of my everyday routine. Anything is better than a bladder infection/spasms. You may not have to go that route but with urine retention you usually end up infected (or at least I do). Also take suppression meds 1x day to ward off the little bacterias my bladder seems so attracted to. Good Luck.

Old 01-17-2004, 07:12 PM   #4
Inactive

j_f_2003 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmo77
I was diagnosed with a collapsed bladder at birth. They removed 1/2 of it when I turned 3 and now I am 37 (today!!). Anyway they call my problem a neurogenic bladder and since it will not empty completely I have to do intermittant caths 4 x a day to aviod infection. I have been doing this for about 12 years now and it is just a part of my everyday routine. Anything is better than a bladder infection/spasms. You may not have to go that route but with urine retention you usually end up infected (or at least I do). Also take suppression meds 1x day to ward off the little bacterias my bladder seems so attracted to. Good Luck.
Wow you've been through a lot. Sorry to hear it's been rough for you. I have had several infections within the last three months and am going for a follow up soon. I will be put on a different antibiotic prophylactically. I thought one of the meds neurontin I've been taking has had an effect with retention. My urologist said he thinks it has something to do with it while the neurologist says he doesn't think it causes that and that neurontin is metabolized by the liver not the kidneys. I thought I saw something on the internet that said it was metabolized by the kidneys. I am beginning to trust my urologist more than my neurologist and am about ready to stop the neurontin all together but I don't want to be in pain again. I'm trying slowly to get off my meds for chronic pain. I wish you luck in finding out what's going on. Keep us posted.

Old 01-20-2004, 02:43 PM   #5

andrea319 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_f_2003
Wow you've been through a lot. Sorry to hear it's been rough for you. I have had several infections within the last three months and am going for a follow up soon. I will be put on a different antibiotic prophylactically. I thought one of the meds neurontin I've been taking has had an effect with retention. My urologist said he thinks it has something to do with it while the neurologist says he doesn't think it causes that and that neurontin is metabolized by the liver not the kidneys. I thought I saw something on the internet that said it was metabolized by the kidneys. I am beginning to trust my urologist more than my neurologist and am about ready to stop the neurontin all together but I don't want to be in pain again. I'm trying slowly to get off my meds for chronic pain. I wish you luck in finding out what's going on. Keep us posted.
Wow, that is a lot. I had the same trouble about 2 years ago I just didn't know I wasn't able to empty my bladder. I had been suffering with constant bladder infections for 2 years and finally after much arguing and a second opinion I found out it was due to a neurological disorder I was born with (Tethered Cord). I too have to cath everyday. I just had my 6th back surgery 4 months ago hoping it would solve the problem but it didn't. I'm not used to the cathing thing yet and I have to admit I hate it. Because you cath you introduce bacteria into the bladder so you still have to live with bladder infections. I know mine are still bothersome off and on. My resistance is always down because I think my body is trying to fight off the infections so I don't fight other things as well as I think I should. Anyway sorry so long but I would definately not let it go. See whoever you have to but get to the bottom of the problem.

Old 01-20-2004, 04:00 PM   #6
Inactive

Emsybobs HB User

Hi I dont think I was clear enough - I can empty my bladder, what I mean is after 2 infections I have pain down there and when I go, I need it again 5mins later - ie. it doesnt empty entirely. I think you mean you cant empty it full stop...?xxx

Old 01-21-2004, 06:26 AM   #7

andrea319 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emsybobs
Hi I dont think I was clear enough - I can empty my bladder, what I mean is after 2 infections I have pain down there and when I go, I need it again 5mins later - ie. it doesnt empty entirely. I think you mean you cant empty it full stop...?xxx
No, I can empty my bladder almost completely on my own. But whenever you leave any residual urine in the bladder that residual urine is where you have trouble. That urine left in the bladder is where ecoli grows and it mutates and is very difficult to get rid of. Most all bladder infections or UTI's are ecoli and this is usually the cause not emptying the bladder completely. If you go and then go 5 min. later and you have even a small amount that could continue to cause you trouble. When I had my eurodynamics test done most of the time I empty my bladder almost completely but it's even that little bit that will continue to make problems. Urologists are trying to do a test study on women who have constant UTI's or bladder infections, most of those women have children. My trouble didn't start till after I had kids. You should see a urologist. I only saw my GP or Gyno and they just kept prescribing one antibiotic after another, now my body is so resistant to antibiotics that it's difficult to treat anything in my body without the strongest antibiotic they can give me. Get a second opinion there's no harm in it. Do you have insurance?

Old 01-21-2004, 12:30 PM   #8
(female)

Esmo77 HB User

The problem is that I am at the bottom of my problem. I have a wonderful urologist and I have a birth defect that will never be fixed. I actually feel fortunate to have a bladder at all considering the circumstances. Cathing is just a part of life, just as insulin is to a diabetic, I am sure they don't "enjoy" those shots. You just do what you have to do and move on. I just had ACDF surgery on C5-7 with corpectomy and cathed the whole time. I guess you could say I am an "Old Pro". I usually go up to one year with no infections. Keeping your caths, environment for cathing and storing them very clean is the ticket. The only reason I ever get an infection is the suppressant medication wears off after about 10-12 months, I become immune. Anyway, just a bit of encouragement to those who have to cath regularly.

Old 01-21-2004, 05:16 PM   #9
Inactive

Emsybobs HB User

Andrea, I am seeing a urologist - this was how they found I couldnt empty bladder properly...I had an infectiom in June (e coli) since then no infections just pain and inability to empty bladder completely. They think it is irritable. I havent had children...am just 24.

xxx

Old 05-07-2008, 05:34 PM   #10
(female)

rradkins31 HB User
Unhappy Re: Can't empty bladder.

I was born w/ double uetters on both sides No one didnt know what was wrong w/ me when i was 2 my mom took me to so many drs. well someone found something i had reflus of the kidney i kidney surgery when i was 2 in the hosptial the dr. said if i didnt have this surgery i would die in about 2 month well in the hospital for about a month did good for a long time now i have nothing but uti always 3 x a month or more go on anit. they still dont work well had test done monday and they found out my bladder dont empty again sick of all this stuff you know gets depressing i have had 2 back surgery cause all the back pain i have so dont know if it is back or kidney u know i am only 39 years old i guess just getting old what does the dr. do now for this stuff please help me thanks

Closed Thread