It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2004, 07:19 AM   #1
(female)

Baylee Bianca HB User
looking for information on bladder cancer

My sister had a large tumor removed on Tuesday. She was told she has bladder cancer. She will not know until tommorrow of the type and stage.
Anyone with any info on bladder cancer? Thank you, Baylee

Old 09-02-2004, 10:32 AM   #2
(female)

Lorabelle HB User
Re: looking for information on bladder cancer

This is my first post, but I have been researching the daylights out of bladder cancer since my father was diagnosed with it on July 8, 2004. He too had a large bladder tumor removed on August 13, 2004. It was around 10-15cm. which is pretty large. About 75% of bladder tumors are superficial, so don't worry until the results come back. It could be totally superficial. My fathers tumor turned out to be TaG1, which was absolutely the best it could be. He will undergo BCG washes in his bladder six times over a month and a half and regular checkups every 3 months to make sure it doesn't grow back, which a large percentage of bladder tumors do. The urologist removes subsequent tumors as you would remove a skin cancer from your nose. Keep your chin up, I have my fingers crossed for you.

Last edited by Lorabelle; 09-02-2004 at 10:34 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2004, 02:23 PM   #3
(female)

Baylee Bianca HB User

When they say most bladder cancer will return. Is it true if it does return that it comes back more aggresive? I am still waiting to hear from her she was sapose to get the test results back today. Another question are BCG
washes a type of chemo? She is so afraid of having chemo and being sick.
Thank you, Baylee

Old 09-03-2004, 06:13 PM   #4
(female)

Lorabelle HB User

BCG is a wash made up of TB vaccine, it causes the good bladder cells to fight the bad ones (in simple terms). You'll be hoping that they find a papillary tumor instead of nonpapillary. Papillary tumors "typically" grow outwards instead of inwards. If it is a papillary tumor, subsquent tumors are usually smaller because they are being caught much sooner then the original one was. Even if god forbid it is invasive bladder cancer, if it is still contained in the bladder it doesn't have to mean a death sentence. Once it's spread through the muscle layer and out it's much more serious, but I wouldn't get panicked until you get the results. Let's us know the results, I don't want to overwhelm you with information that sounds scary because hopefully she will fall into the 75% group.

Old 09-04-2004, 06:14 AM   #5
(female)

Baylee Bianca HB User

Thank you so much your information has been helpful. Plus talking to someone who can relate to how you are feeling helps alot. I am confused right now by the fact my sister called yesterday to get her results. The nurse blew her question off and just said the normal after her surgery would be a visit in 6 weeks. Then said the doctor wants to see her in 2 weeks. My sister is way way to passive and is just willing to wait out the 2 weeks with out knowing the results. Myself if they told me I would know in 3 days. I would be demanding a answer. It seems I am more worried than my sister. Guess thats a good thing though do not want her stressed out. When after your fathers surgery did the doctor want to see him again? Thank you again for all your help. Baylee

Old 09-04-2004, 10:51 AM   #6
(female)

Lorabelle HB User

It was the same thing. They took the tumor out on August 13 and the followup wasn't until August 26. It was 13 very excruciating days of worry. Did she have to stay overnight in the hospital after they took out the tumor. If not, then that's a good sign that it might not have been too large. My dad had to stay overnight because of the size of his (they had to make sure he didn't start bleeding) and it still turned out to be superficial. I would hope if it was something serious that they would be in touch with her, so maybe that's a good thing. I keep thinking about how hard this is for you and her, after being through it myself, try not to worry too much, the stress can't be good for either of you. Let me know when you hear something.

Just wanted to add that my dad did the same thing when it came to getting the results, he wouldn't have pushed to get them either. He didn't want them any sooner then he had to have them. It was a case of what you don't know can't hurt you. Knowing those results were just sitting in the urologists office was so frustrating.

Last edited by Lorabelle; 09-04-2004 at 11:22 AM.

Old 09-04-2004, 12:10 PM   #7
(female)

Baylee Bianca HB User

My sister came home the same night. The doctor told my brother -n- law it was a large tumor. He also told him he may have to go back in and do reconstructing surgery it would depend. He did not say though what it depended on. The only other thing he said was he felt he got it all and the tumor was up against the wall. Not sure what that means either. I hear ya it drives me nuts knowing the doctor has the results but, is making her { us } wait so long. It has just been such a bad 18 months for me and my family. Have lost my mom, brother,aunt, uncle,friend and my dog. This almost seems unreal that my sister would then get diagnosed with cancer. I know that is part of why the feeling of being so anxious to get the results { nerves }. It really has been good to have someone to talk with who has been through this. You have helped me to feel more positive and relax abit. Did your father have alot of pain after surgery? My sister said ever time she goes to the bathroom it burns real bad and is very painful. She assumes this is normal and will not call the doctor.The bad part is we live so far apart and I can not be there with her for support. I am in Ohio and she is in Nevada seems like we are a million miles apart. :-{ Baylee

Old 09-04-2004, 06:00 PM   #8
(female)

Lorabelle HB User

He definately was in pain, quite a bit for the first two days. I think he still has dull pain, even three weeks later. He had blood in his urine also for a week or so after the surgery. We didn't tell my dad how big his tumor was, so when he was catherized in the hospital we kept checking his urine for blood, he had no idea what we were upto. He actually didn't have any blood until they took the cath out. Hopefully the up against the wall means the lining of the stomach. I would think if it was a large flat tumor then she would have needed to stay overnight because that would have meant alot of scraping. Papillary tumors on the other hand look like a cauliflower growing in your stomach, so the stem part can be small and the head large, so only maybe 2cm or less is actually touching the stomach wall. It must be hard for you guys living so far apart, we both live in MA about 5 miles from each other. Is she your only sibling? My dad is only 66, a scare like this brings everything into reality. I'll be praying for you guys, hope to hear good news soon.

Last edited by Lorabelle; 09-04-2004 at 06:17 PM.

Old 09-05-2004, 04:59 AM   #9
(female)

Baylee Bianca HB User

My sister has had bleeding since the surgery to but, she said it gets less everyday. This is going to be a long 2 weeks of just waiting until she gets back in to see the doctor. No she is not my only sibling I have a brother. I came from a family of 5. One sister died at 2 from liver problems and another brother died less than two months ago of a massive heart attack at 46 years old. I am the baby of the family. Seems funny calling myself the baby at 38, married with 4 kids. I will keep you updated seems like there will be no news until she goes back in to the doctors in 2 weeks. Thank you again for all your help & support. Baylee

Old 09-05-2004, 07:26 AM   #10
(female)

Lorabelle HB User

Wow, you've had a hard last couple of months. I'll be checking back regularly for your post, try not to worry too much even though that's easier said than done. By the way, I'm 41 with a 14 yr old son and a 12 yr old girl (who gives me a run for my money every day of my life). Lori

Last edited by Lorabelle; 09-05-2004 at 07:28 AM.

Old 09-16-2004, 02:30 PM   #11
(female)

Baylee Bianca HB User

Lorabelle, Wanted to update you on my sister. She went to the urologist today. The first time since her surgery. He told her the cancer did not spread into the wall. He feels confident he got all the cancer and she will need no chemo. He wants to do some type of test on Sept.24th of her kidneys. He said he does not believe the cancer started there but, to be on the safe side wants to check the kidneys. He said due to the fact bladder cancer does come back 30 % of the time. He wants to see her every 8 weeks up to a year. Then every six months up to 5 years. All in all it sounds positive just wish my sister would be more aggresive and ask questions. She did not ask any. I would want to know everything about what I have to make myself more knowledgable. Did your dad have any test on his kidneys?
She does not know what type of test only that she gets a prep kit 2 days before the test. Thank you again for your support and info. Baylee

Old 09-16-2004, 05:35 PM   #12
(female)

Lorabelle HB User

I've been checking daily for posts, I'm glad she finally got the diagnosis, it sounds good. Did they tell her the stage and grade? Did they mention BCG treatments? It must have been small if they didn't want to do BCG, my dad's urologist does it for tumors greater than 2cm. My dad had a catscan to check his kidneys originally and that's when they saw a shadow on his bladder and did further testing and found the the cancer. I don't think he had any other testing done on his kidneys besides that, but I'll ask him.

Old 09-17-2004, 03:49 AM   #13
(female)

Baylee Bianca HB User

I wish my sister would be more aggresive about asking questions. She did not ask the type or stage of the cancer. The doctor said he did not want to do any treatment for it at all. I am abit puzzled because the doctor has said twice the tumor was large. My sister does not know the exact size but, said he used the words large tumor. If the test on her kidneys on the 24th turns out to be all ok. He does not want to see her again until Nov.4th. Another thing that bothers me is that she had a ultra sound of the bladder and kidneys before her surgery. The doctor has never braught up her kidneys until yesterday. In saying he does not feel cancer is there but wants to check to be safe. The bladder tumor they seen from ultra sound would they not of picked up if she had a tumor in the kidneys ? I am still abit confused but, feeling more optimistic. Baylee

Old 09-17-2004, 08:04 AM   #14
(female)

Lorabelle HB User

If I was your sister I would ask when I went in on the 24th the stage and grade, it must be a Ta G1 tumor though, since he didn't feel the need to do BCG treatments. Let me know how things work out.

Old 09-18-2004, 05:46 AM   #15
(female)

Baylee Bianca HB User

I will keep you updated.You have been such a wonderful support and help to me. I am also going to try again to get her to ask questions like the type and stage. I thought like you if he is not doing any after treatments it must be of a early stage. Just abit nervous on this next test in trying to understand why he would think it could maybe be in the kidneys but then said he doubts it.She had a ultra sound prior to the surgery of her bladder / kidneys. He also told my sister it was contained in the bladder. He said he was checking the kidneys to make sure it had not started there and spread to the bladder.
That is what has me confused if it started in the kidneys and spread to the bladder. I would think in the ultra sound if they noticed the shadow on the bladder then the kidneys would of had to of had a shadow as well. Guess I am just a worry wart and could be closer so I could go with her and ask questions. How often does your dad need to be seen for check ups? My sister said he wants to see her every 8 weeks for the first year. Thank you again so much. I will post again on the 24th not sure if they will tell her right away or if it takes time for the results but, I will post an update either way.
Baylee

Closed Thread