It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2005, 12:03 PM   #1
(male)

sssikuk HB User
Question Bladder Neck Incision (TUIP)

Hello All

I'm a 42 yr old male.
I first visited my GP due to urinary infections many years ago.
After seeing different consultants with no real diagnosis I was last reffered 3 years ago. I was being seen by a registrar who carried out a flow rate test after which I had a bladder scan. He told me I had a large bladder that could hold a litre (maybe more)and that I had retained 200ml of urine. My flow rate was very up and down and hesitant and never peaked as high as it should have done. (Should mention that my symptoms also include burning which lingers even after peeing). He carried out a proststate digi test and said me prostate was not enlarged. Next visit I had a cystoscopy..which was agony !! He had a quick look in my bladder which was ok..he said I had prostatis. My next visit to the hospital I was fortunate enough (in the NHS) to see the consultant. Another flow rate test which he said was very poor...the graph was continually up & down. He told me I could never put out a fire with that !!! He tried me on a months course of flow max....which I didn't see any benefit from. No further mention of prostatis. Next visit another flow rate, same as usual and again retaining about 200 to 250 ml.
He then explained I appeared to have a blockage and a urodynamics test would identify this. Interestignly at the start of the urodynamics test they syphon your bladder to ensure it is empty and mine already was, I expected the usual 200ml residual ?? Anyway the test identified I have a blockage and that I push with my stomach to pass urine (which is true, I have to force it).
I've been told I need a TUIP (bladder neck incision). I'm due to have this next Tuesday 5th July. This is on the UK NHS and I have already cancelled twice and have been told this is my final chance. I am really unsure about having this op. My main concerns, apart from the risks associated with any operation, are about retro ejaculation, impotency and the possibility of needing another op in a few years due to scar tissue forming and again blocking the flow whch may mean having a TURP
So that brings me to where I am now TUIP or not?
I went back for another visit to the consultant last week and saw a different registrar who advised if I didn't have the op I could possibly get renal failure due to urine backing up to the kidneys. Also the larger my bladder gets the harder it is for it to contract. I have always called my problem a bashful bladder beacuse I cannot pee in public but I also struggle at home and in private so maybe my own diagnosis is incorrect.
Regarding the TUIP, is it a simple procedure? or can it have damaging effects? What are the long term effects? Or am I worrying unnecessarly ? The registrar I saw last week, closing words were "If I were you I'd have it done".
I would welcome any advice.
Thanks Terry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2005, 10:41 AM   #2
(male)

sssikuk HB User
Re: Bladder Neck Incision (TUIP)

Guess I'm going to have a worrying weekend. Op is on Tuesday and I'm still unsure what to do for the best.
Anyone had this op? or know someoone who has?

Old 06-02-2008, 09:41 AM   #3
(male)

MisterAV78 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Bladder Neck Incision (TUIP)

I just had th surgery & I've been recovering since friday w/ a cathater. I had a similiar situation. so far I seem to be soing alright. Not as much bleeding as expected but the stomach craps are a pain (more like surgery pains).
My doc prescribed vicodin for me so thats a plus I guess.
I wish I had more info for you. My follow up is this thursday so I'll know more then.
I will say this, my doc took pictures of my prostate which ended up becoming enlarged & took pictures of my bladder & I know I have damage that will remain wth me for the rest of my life, if I would have gotten my behind in sooner some of this could have been handled sooner but it is what it is.
Don't let this linger & go for it!
You will have risks w/ all surgeries that is a given I guess at the end of the day you must hope or pray or whatever you do & believe it'll be ok.

Good luck buddy!

Old 06-12-2008, 11:15 AM   #4
(male)

Hank52 HB User

I had my TUIP surgery on 2/11/08. My post-surgery symptoms included frequent, urgent, and burning urination. It took about 3 months for the symptoms to subside. Don't go by my experiences because every individual is different. We don't know where we fall in the normal or log-normal distribution curve. Approximately 85% of the patients who undergo TUIP would benefit from this surgery. I am among the 85%. I posted my experiences in another tread entitled "TURP Question" in this forum.

Every surgery has risks and benefits. You have to decide what is best for you. There is no perfect answer. I obtained a second opinion before I decided on the surgery. If I didn't have the surgery, I would have risked atrophy of the bladder, in which case, I would have to use a catheter the rest of my life. The risk of retrograde ejaculation is a non-issue for me because I am 56 years old.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:13 AM   #5
(male)

easeltine HB User

I have my TUIP scheduled for next week, 9/2/08.
The first time that I went to see a Urologist for my problem was when I was 36, 15 years ago. I have been taking medication for 15 years. The first medication I took was a drug called, "Cardura," and the drug that I have taken for the past 12 years is, "Terazosin." I have had the drug amount increased around 5 years ago to 10 Mg.
The drugs have always helped me. I still have to urinate around 3-4 times nightly while taking the drugs, but it's noticeably worse without them. My PCP decided that we should try the Urologist about 5 month ago. I have been practicing self-catheterization for over two months now, and that really helps. It reduces the amount of urination from 1 1/2-2 hours to 4 hours.
Thank you for your testimonials regarding the operation. I am nervous, but to get off of the medication that I have been taking for 15 years I think it will be worth it.

Last edited by easeltine; 08-25-2008 at 11:15 AM.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:34 AM   #6
(male)

easeltine HB User
Cool Re: Bladder Neck Incision (TUIP)

I had the surgery on 9/2/08 as scheduled. The surgery went better than I would have expected, especially, compared to the "classic" hernia surgery I had done 21 years earlier. There is no pain involved in the surgery, and one hardly needs pain medication for recovery. I took the foley cathetar out on Friday morning 9/5/08. One must remember to take the saline solution out of the balloon that is in the bladder, or you will not be able to take the miserable thing out. It is sort of horrible to be on a bed that long, the muscles get anxious to do anything different and your butt gets sore.
I am peeing very well, better than I can ever remember. One needs to drink a lot of liquids after this surgery to clean out the system. Expect some bleeding. I am still having the bleeding when I am going. I did not have a bowel movement for 3 days, that was kind of uncomfortable, and fighting this hemmeroid is difficult.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:23 AM   #7
(male)

rog944 HB User

Thanks for sharing your experience withTUIP. I am scheduled for surgery next Monday. I have suffered pain for quite a while, so I am looking forward to the relief!

Old 10-06-2008, 12:19 PM   #8
(male)

easeltine HB User

Rog,

It has been over a month since I had my operation. I am 51 years old. If your experience is like mine you will see some blood in the urine for the first 2 weeks. After that I haven't seen any blood, though I still experience some slight discomfort after urinating once in a while. The few days in bed with the Foley Catheter was a bit weird. When nobody was around I was walking to the bathroom naked to empty the bag...LOL!

Getting this operation has:
1. Taken me off the medication that I have taken for 15 years.
2. No longer need to do self-catheterization.
3. Most important! I can urinate now like I have never done in my life.

Have Hope! You will be better!

Old 12-18-2008, 10:46 PM   #9
(male)

dudik HB User

easeltine
I live in los angeles and I am considering the tuip proceedure.
Can you please let me have the name of your urologist and phone # ?
I thank you in anticipation.

Closed Thread