It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2005, 02:21 PM   #1
(female)

TipsyDaisy HB User
Colon cancer spread to bladder -- what to expect and questions for doc

Just received word that during the course of survery to remove 1 ft of my FIL's colon, it was found that the cancer had spread to his bladder. The doctor said that the cancer is a Stage III, T4.

My FIL is still in surgery now. I am at home and the immediate family at the hospital now. Of course they are stunned and not sure of what to expect or what questions to even ask the doctors.

One thing I am interested to find out how many lymph nodes were found with cancer cells. Is there anything else we should be asking about when the doctor comes back out?

Anyone else with similiar experience? What might we be expecting as far as treatment is concerned?

Old 11-30-2005, 12:15 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

shnswms HB User
Re: Colon cancer spread to bladder -- what to expect and questions for doc

I would ask what treatment options are available to him. Weigh the benefits of the treatment depending on his age, quality of life, and other factors. How old is your father in law? I would expect chemotherapy, a combination of chemotherapy and radiation, removal of bladder, and a possible colostomy. Since it had only spread to the bladder he has a much better chance of survival then if it had spread to distant organs such as liver and lungs. Some other members may be able to provide some more information. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2005, 12:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ktee_uk HB User
Re: Colon cancer spread to bladder -- what to expect and questions for doc

Dear Tipsey

I hope your fil is by now on his road to recovery. My husband was diag in April 2003 and had a low anterior bowel resection in May 2003. After surgery, his surgeon explained to me that the primary tumor had grown out through the colon wall and attached itself to his bladder. He was able to scrape the tumor off the bladder during the resection. As a result of this, he had to keep the catheter in for a few days more than normal to take the pressure off the bladder and reduce risk of infection. He did not need to have a colostomy. After a few weeks (may have been a few months but we cannot remember now) his urine flow was pretty much back to normal.

In my husbands case, he was diag as stage 4 as he had mets to the liver. After chemo, liver resection, more chemo and radioT he has remained clear ........ v.good news for a stage 4er.

I would ask about treatment plans from his surgeon and also an oncologist but i guess you need to concentrate on his immediate recovery from this surgery. He will be very sore and find it difficult to move around especially untill his stitches or staples come out. But moving around and try to walk a little more each day will help his recovery and get him home quicker. It is really important not to overdo things though so from a practical point of view he will need a bit of help in the first month and less during the second month of recovery.

Please ask more questions as you think of them and we will all try and help you through this.

Good luck and best wishes for your fil.

regards
ktee

Closed Thread