It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2006, 12:15 AM   #1
(female)

jackmar HB User
Question bladder spasms?

I finally went to emergency because I can't sleep at night. As soon as I lie down, I have to pee. I mean up to 15 times in 2-3 hours. They think that I may have an irritated bladder. There is no infection in the urine. The pills are not helping (antibiotics and phenazo). Does anyone know what this could be and how to get rid of it. I am so tired, next option is to sleep on the toilet!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2006, 02:42 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

tdf HB User
Re: bladder spasms?

How long has this been going on? If more than a couple of days, go back to doctor. You might need a referral to a urologist. I don't know why they would give you antibiotics if they found no infection, it makes no sense to me. If you have had an infection which has irritated your bladder, your bladder may have remained sensitive even if the infection has been cured. It is like a mosquito bite which keeps feeling itchy. You have to stop scratching it - ie stop going to the toilet when your bladder complains. Drink a lot of water and when you need to go, lie down and relax, breathe, think about other things, anything to stop giving into the urge (at least temporarily). Cranberry juice is also recommended for bladder inflammation, but check if you can drink it with your medication. Try to fill your bladder up, but not go. Eventually the "itch" will subside (assuming this is just a bladder infection and not something else - don't delay going back to doctor if this continues). Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2006, 08:46 AM   #3
(female)

serafina HB User

I too have experienced such frequency and I could never connect it to food/drink, etc. About 4 years ago I went through several tests with urogynecologists, 2 urologists, gynocologist, nephrologist (kidneys) . . . No one found anything wrong. I would make sure you get tested for interstial cystitis and stds. Sometimes another infection in your body, such as a std can cause you to urinate more often as your body is trying to flush out the virus/bacteria. In my case they suspected anxiety. Even though you may not feel anxious at the time, built up anxiety can cause bladder spasms (much in the same way it causes bowel spasms for some). I still get this problem now and then but it is not as constant. There is other medicine that may help too, such as the overactive bladder meds, anti-depressants such as xanax, and antispasmodics used for irritable bowel syndrome (the 2 are often connected). Hope this helps and you find answers. Please keep us posted because it may help many others!

Old 09-13-2006, 09:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

hyper79 HB User

i agree its possible anxiety, i went to my urologist 2 weeks ago for bladder pain, he prescribed macrobid and sent me on my way.after a week of taking them,i was still in pain but much more so i went to the er. they did x-rays,bw,and urine cultures and every thing was fine??im a guy and worried it was prostatis again but my prostate was fine. the gave me pirodiux ,forgive my spelling, well it helped and turned my pee red!!!i took 2 ov the 6 pills they gave me and have not had anymore pain,knock on wood.i was very tense and stressed during the bladder pain episodes.

Old 09-22-2006, 03:44 PM   #5
(female)

jackmar HB User

I"ve had an internal and an external ultrasound done and I am still waiting on results.
The anti-spasm pills help a bit but if I miss them for a couple of hours I certainly notice. I would prefer a more holistic cure than pumping myself full of drugs, so if there are any suggestions......

Old 09-26-2006, 10:37 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

kerri0500 HB User

what do the bladder spasms feel like? I have left sided low ab pain and it iseems worse when i have a full bladder. I wake up 2-3 times per night with a FULL bladder. It is HUGE to the left of my belly button. I have done the ultrasouinds, CTs all that stuff, all negative with the exception of prominent ureters. My bladder when full at night is like the size of a small football! any ideas anyone?

Old 09-27-2006, 01:39 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

kerri0500 HB User

any suggestions, anyone? thanks!

Old 09-27-2006, 03:54 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

hyper79 HB User

hi, im not sure about a female,i suppose the bladder is located in the same area, the bladder is well below the belly button.um? on the left side is your spleen. kinda odd? bladder spasms feel like a deep painful ache, pretty constant,maybe 4 inches below the belly b. IBS can cause those type pains also.im puzzled??

Old 10-08-2006, 05:52 PM   #9
(female)

Arizona94 HB User

Jackmar, I feel your pain. I too was having symptoms similar to a bladder infection and had the urge to urinate dozens of times a day. I had urinalysis after urinalysis, all of which came back negative. I finally went to see a urologist who performed a battery of tests (some of which were uncomfortable, though not painful). Cancer and ICS were ruled out, which left "overactive bladder" as the diagnosis (a rather generic diagnosis). I was prescribed Detrol LA and told to avoid caffeine in all forms. Ten months later, I am MUCH better, though when I cheat and have coffee I pay the price. The downsides to Detrol LA are the cost (since there is no generic equivalent, it's very expensive), dry mouth, and smelly urine, though from what I understand these side effects are less severe than side effects from other drugs. In the interest of getting off of these meds, I am considering trying acupuncture, which my urologist says does offer relief for some people with this condition.

Good luck!

By the way, I am 42, seemingly too young for overactive bladder, but there you go!

Closed Thread