It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2006, 03:09 AM   #1
(female)

elphers HB User
Bladder "sling" surgery, but why hysterectomy?

My Gyne and Urologist, after testing, suggests that I have the "sling" surgery for my bladder lift. My question is-- why do the both of them also mention hysterectomy? I have an appointment with my Gyne on Nov. 14 to talk about this. Do they usually go hand in hand? I am having cramping, but no one seems to know why and no ultrasounds or ? have been done. I am almost 50 (Nov. 12--whoopee!!!) and am going through menopause. Should I just go ahead and have the hysterectomy at the same time??? I'm kinda confused! Anyone had these surgeries???
Thanks so much,
elphers

Old 11-03-2006, 05:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnydaze1 HB User
Re: Bladder "sling" surgery, but why hysterectomy?

I would definitely ask for more detail on why you need a hysterectomy. Only thing I can think of is that it's putting pressure on your bladder. But if you're going through the change..(oh you're so lucky, I'm 51 and regular as ever) and don't have any menstrual concerns, I'd certainly want more answers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2006, 11:28 AM   #3
(female)

gingerblossom HB User

Whatever you do ask for more info before you agree to a hysterectomy, I had mine because of severe bladder prolapse but then I had all kinds of complications afterwards with the catheter adn still have bladder issues, Whatever you do just be sure its really necesary

Old 11-05-2006, 12:53 PM   #4
(female)

elphers HB User

Gingerblossom,
Thanks for the reply. Also thanks to you Sunnydaze.
Gingerblossom, I have a few questions if you don't mind. How did you know that your bladder prolapse was severe enough to have surgery and a hysterectomy? Did you have the tests at a Urologist? I did, but the nurse said that I did well with the bladder cystometrics, but the Urologist examined me and said that I have dropped. What were your symptoms? I feel like something is "between my legs" even though my bladder isn't hanging out. I have been having cramping so I have been taking Bentyl. I urinate a lot and have had a few accidents when I laugh.
I'm curious to see if my Gyne suggests a hsterectomy. The Urologist said that it's "his call!" (My Gyne). Do bladder lifts usually go along with hysterectomies? How long were you laid up recuperating or off work? I really don't know what to do about either surgery!
Thanks for any help!
elphers

Old 11-30-2006, 08:07 AM   #5
(female)

Beentherebefore HB User
Wink Re: Bladder "sling" surgery, but why hysterectomy?

I went thru the same thing just recently. Although I apparently had a few more troubles than it sounds like you have. I am 38 (39 on the 14th of Dec) and underwent a Total Vaginal Hysterectomy and bladder sling surgery. I had uterine prolapse starting to occur, my bladder had slipped or fallen and my vaginal walls were starting to colapse as well. They repaired one wall, put in the sling and removed my uterus and cervix. A lot to go on for being so 'young' I was told, but my children are 3 & 5 (Not having any more) and the last one was really hard on me 'region' wise. I had the stress incontenience when I laughed too hard, sneezed or it was really bad if I tried to run after my kids. I had the surgery on November 6th. I do believe that it is the best thing I could have ever done. They left my ovaries so I don't have to undergo hormone therapy, I can sneeze and laugh and I've even have had to run and no problems what so ever. My bladder had fallen so long ago that I almost had to learn how to go to the bathroom again without having to compensate for the bladder being where it is supposed to be now. I did have a small problem when they removed the catheter the first time, my bladder wasn't able to get rid of the urine in it - I had over 1000 cc still in it (over 32 ounces) so I had to have it resinserted. The next day they took it out again and things went much much better. I was only in the hospital for 2 nights and was released to go home and rest. I have to go back to work soon.

Good luck on what ever you decide. I hope this helps explain or maybe will help you to raise a few more questions for your doctor. I never saw an Urologist, mine was all performed by my OB-GYN.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:46 PM   #6
(female)

ericollin HB User

Last edited by ericollin; 01-03-2007 at 11:34 PM.

Closed Thread