It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2007, 02:18 PM   #1
(female)

Melissa765 HB User
Question Help with bladder cancer -- what stage, what will the death be like?

My great grandfather has bladder cancer, and I was hoping that you'd be able to help answer a few of his questions: He was diagnosed with bladder cancer about a year ago, and due to his old age, he decided not to go about getting any treatment beyond surgery to try to remove the mass (which wasn't successful). Now he is having bloody/mucusy discharge when he urinates. He is in constant pain, which is exacerbated by trying to urinate, despite high doses of Percocet (he'll be goingon on Fentanyl within the week). What stage of bladder cancer does this sound like? I know that it is at least stage III, as that's what he was originally diagnosed with.

Also, what is it like to die from bladder cancer? One of my uncles said that
you bleed from every orifice of your body and that it's a terrible death. My family is really just looking for what type of thing to expect as time progresses, yet he refuses to go to the doctor that this point so they can't really ask anyone.

I really appreciate any help. Thank you so much!

Old 01-09-2007, 09:36 AM   #2
(female)

Baylee Bianca HB User
Re: Help with bladder cancer -- what stage, what will the death be like?

Melissa, So sorry to read about your great grandfather and the pain he is going through. Nobody should have to be in pain and suffer like that. My sister was diagnosed with bladder cancer in I think early Sept. of 2004 and is doing good. She has been through two surgery's and chemo but, the cancer has stayed gone and she just had a clean check up. Never was sure of her stage as she never asked. I hope someone will come along who can help you out with your questions. My thoughts are with you and your family. Baylee

Last edited by Baylee Bianca; 01-09-2007 at 03:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2007, 10:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB User

Melissa,
My dad died from bladder cancer on Feb. 18, 2005 and he did not bleed from everywhere. I have never heard of that! My dad died very quickly and peacefully. They made sure my dad had no pain and figured out what worked to ensure he was painless. (not sure if possible, but they did it for my dad) He actually went into coma about 36 hours before he died. I am sorry your great grandfather is having to deal with such pain. I usually only post on the lung cancer,(my husband has terminal lung cancer, but never smoked) but some reason pulled up cancer and saw what you wrote and wanted to ease some of your worries.
You take care and just be there for your great grandfather! It is great wen they are surrounded by love.
Kim

Old 01-10-2007, 07:28 PM   #4
(female)

MSHekele HB User

Melissa,
Im so very sorry to hear about your grandfather and not to be rude but your uncle sounds like an idiot.
Not to go on another huge rant but my father just died November 5 2006 from bladder cancer. He had some of the same problems as you mentioned about your grandfather. None of which were bleeding from every orfice. Id love to know where he heard that.
My dad had his bladder removed.
However he did have the blood clots and difficulty and painful urination. Have they cathed him yet. I know that made it easier to go for my dad. Also was your grandfather a smoker at any time? From what the Doctor told me the bladder filters out toxins and poisons from your body thus nicotine goes into the bladder. my dad was a smoker.
Anyway chances are they will try to keep him as comfortable as possible. Infection might be a difficult thing to fight and there might be a possibility of his kidneys shutting down from overworking themselves. Im not a doctor so that is just what I saw with dad.
I wish you and your family the best of luck my thoughs are with you. Please let me know if I can help you at all.

Heather

Last edited by MSHekele; 01-10-2007 at 07:28 PM.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Does your grandfather recognize you still?Is he eating and drinking without any help?My father died from bladder cancer about 3 yrs ago.He had no idea that he had it till he started bleeding when urinating.By then it was too late.They tried cutting it out and radiation to no avail.Once they stopped treating it aggressively he started going downhill.He started loosing weight,sleeping for longer periods of time.He had a catheter in him.Up to 2 wks before he died he was talking about the past and when he was young.They put him on morphine,then he really started to go downhill fast.Alot of times when i went to see him he thought i was my brother.Most of the time he would moan or talk in his sleep.He was barely eating or drinking anything.Hospice told us that it was`signs that it was getting close to the end.It was only the second time in my life that i was up close in seeing someone die.I will never forget it.I know my fathers in a better place now because of his relationship with God.That at least gives me some comfort.My father was an artist and i have his paintings to remind me of him.I also have pics`and video thank God.Your going to have to be strong for him.This may sound horrible but i was actually relieved when he died.I had to sit with him from time to time and listen to him moan which just about killed me.When he died gave me some consolation that at least he wasnt in any pain anymore.When i have thoughts about him now i smile.Because he loved to paint clouds and sunsets.And now he has the best seat in the house(heavenly house) to do it.Just be loving and let him do most of the talking.God bless you and your family.I will send a pray up for your grandfather.Take care.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:28 PM   #6
(female)

mc1982 HB User

Hi Melissa...I dont know anything about bladder cancer, but sounds like the others do. All I know is that if you have not contacted Hospice yet, please do. They will be a big help to the family and your great-grandfather and they will make sure he is not in pain. They were so much help to me before my dad passed away from congestive heart failure and before my mom passed away last year from Alzheimers. ((Hugs)) and sending prayers your way...Marcia

Closed Thread