It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2007, 09:25 AM   #1
(male)

LeonM HB User
over distended bladder

I'm a 54 yr. old male diagnosed in Oct. '06 with bladder muscle failure and an overdistended bladder. The urologist drained 2100 mL of urine when this was discovered. No cause has yet been determined for this problem. Through a Cystoscopy exam Dr. has ruled out any restriction from prostate of bladder neck opening. I currently self catheterize 5 times a day in an effot to allow my bladder to shrink and repair. I drain between 450 and 950 mL depending on how long between cath use and how much I have had to drink. I have only been able to dribble a little bit if I am holdong above 800 mL. Current treatment consists of a "wait and see" aproach. Personally I am not optomistic this is going to improve. My wife is encouraging me to look outside of our city for advanced skill and knowledge. Does anyone have experience with any of this or any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2007, 12:18 PM   #2
(male)

dreamer54 HB Userdreamer54 HB User
Re: over distended bladder

Interesting that there is someone else out there with my condition. I have been self-cathing for a while now also. My Urologist also drained quite a bit of urine out of my baldder ( 1/2 gallon). After several tests, they determined that my bladder is distended and that I also have Urethral Strictures. A couple of years ago I had a "TURP" procedure done in an attempt to enlarge the Urethral passage through the prostate. This unfortunatly did not help my condition and I still catherize 4-5 times a day . I have had many infections because of having to use a catheter, many times running fevers as high as 104 degrees. I have found that by using a smaller red rubber coude catheter ( fr.12) and also by taking vitamin C ( 500mg)everyday, I can keep the fevers and infections away. My doctors do not offer a definate reason as to why I have this problem. One theory is that my baldder became overfilled when I didn`t empty totally which caused it to stretch, thus damaging muscle tone and or receptors inside the walls of the bladder which sense when the bladder is full. Another theory is that the back problems and herniated discs I suffer from have caused nerve damage which in turn prevent my bladder from communication with my brain, thus preventing me from urinating when needed. At present, I can only urinate a little during a bowel movement which is strange. Possibly the nerves are somehow interconnected, who knows. I guess it could all be worst and I try to make the best of it all. To give you some hope, my brother in law also had this problem a few years ago and recovered from it by allowing his bladder to shrink via using catheters. After 6 months- a year, he recovered use of his bladder. It dosen`t appear that I will be as lucky. Any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited by dreamer54; 01-11-2007 at 12:21 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2007, 07:26 PM   #3
(male)

jeffmat4355 HB User
Re: over distended bladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
I'm a 54 yr. old male diagnosed in Oct. '06 with bladder muscle failure and an overdistended bladder. The urologist drained 2100 mL of urine when this was discovered. No cause has yet been determined for this problem. Through a Cystoscopy exam Dr. has ruled out any restriction from prostate of bladder neck opening. I currently self catheterize 5 times a day in an effot to allow my bladder to shrink and repair. I drain between 450 and 950 mL depending on how long between cath use and how much I have had to drink. I have only been able to dribble a little bit if I am holdong above 800 mL. Current treatment consists of a "wait and see" aproach. Personally I am not optomistic this is going to improve. My wife is encouraging me to look outside of our city for advanced skill and knowledge. Does anyone have experience with any of this or any ideas?

I am a 51 year old male with the same symptoms. I can only tell you what caused my troubles. My doctors all believe that it was caused by years of alcohol abuse, which caused poly peripherial neuropathy, affecting mostly the nerves that control my bladder sphincter. This was diagnosed in 2002.

Jeff

Last edited by jeffmat4355; 10-09-2007 at 07:27 PM. Reason: added date

Closed Thread