It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2007, 05:08 PM   #1
(female)

westllen HB User
Bladder Cancer, having biopsy done

Last yr I had surgery to remove a tumor.

I'm having problems again, went to the doctor and he did a cycstoscopy and found 2 more tumors. He said he's "concerned" - looks "bad".

Anyone have any experiecnce with bladder cancer?

Old 04-17-2007, 10:13 PM   #2
(female)

kaye alexandra HB User
Husband had Bladder Cancer

Well, my husband had bladder cancer a few years ago. The tumor actually perforated the bladder wall which is not good. He had radical surgery - bladder removed, including prostrate, nodes, etc. The tubes were left and he ended up with a stoma. He had chemo and radiation. The chemo was cisplatin. He is doing very good and it was told to him things did not look good at that time, but he put back all his weight he lost, eats well, and enjoys his golf. He has tests done every six months and so far so good. I can tell you if the surgeon gives & performs on you the latest techniques and you have a good attitude, this will be all for the best. I wish you well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2007, 06:24 AM   #3
(female)

westllen HB User
Re: Bladder Cancer, having biopsy done

Kaye, that is awesome! I am so glad to hear your husband is doing so well! Was he able to work while taking the Cisplatin? That's a concern for me, I want to be able to continue to work, my job can't live without me

I am waiting for the cytology report, surgery is in 2 weeks. I have a wonderful attitude towards this, this is not my 1st time up to bat I had uterine cancer, malignant melanoma. But this us new for me, looking to find out what to expect, kwim?

I truly appreciate your responding, it helps so much!

Old 04-18-2007, 03:08 PM   #4
(female)

kaye alexandra HB User
Bladder Cancer treatment, etc.

The problem with Cistplatin or any Chemo is the side effects, which is nausea and weight loss. Each person responds differently to treatments. You can work during this but it seems that after receiving the Chemo, at least for my husband, the second day following, he was sick for a day or two. So, it seems you could time the treatments. Not sure if they will give you treatment every day or only certain days, but if they only treat you once per week, you could have the treatments on Thursday or Friday, but on Saturday and Sunday you may not feel so good. Another thing that was interesting with my husband was that he never lost one hair. Most folks do, but for some reason he didn't. He had radiation and chemo for weeks. I can say he looks great and is feeling good. So, if you have been through some things before with cancer, you have a good idea what you will feel like. Nothing is guaranteed in life and we now feel each day is a real gift and blessing, and make the most of it all.

Last edited by kaye alexandra; 04-18-2007 at 03:10 PM.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:00 PM   #5
(female)

westllen HB User

Kaye, thank you so much for your honesty. I am the type thar likes ro know what I am up against

My cytology report came back inconclusive, as they claim there wasn't enough for further testing. Doctor will re-do it when he does the surgery.

I am very happy your husband is doing ao well. I have heard with Cisplatin you don't loose all your hair.

Thanks again for your info. I truly appreciate it.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:12 PM   #6
(female)

kaye alexandra HB User
2nd opinion?

Reports are inconclusive? I would stay on top of this. We had one urologist that never saw the tumor but my husband was losing blood in the urine. This urologist said my husband had a bladder infection and put him in antibiotics. With the antibotics the bleeding did not stop. I was fed up and we found another Urologist who found the tumor immediately and showed us the xrays and where it was actually now growing out of the bladder which is not good. I wish you the best and hope all goes well for you.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:06 PM   #7
(female)

westllen HB User

Oh Kay! That's terrible! You really do have to stay on top of them, don't you.

I discussed with the Dr re-doing the cytology, since the surgery is in less than 2 weeks we'll wait. I am still hurting from last Thursday cystoscope.

I've done alot of research on the internet, sometimes that is good and sometimes that is bad. Kwim?

Whatever it turns out to be, I just want to live a healthy, "normal" life.
Whatever normal is

Old 04-19-2007, 07:03 PM   #8
(female)

kaye alexandra HB User
Smile Re: Bladder Cancer, having biopsy done

I know what you mean by doing research on the cancer issue. You will read info that sounds promising and than there will be info that will depress you. From the many folks I know who have had cancer or are still struggling with it, the treatments and what they go through is really an individual thing. I have a friend who has a mother in her 80's that has had bladder cancer for some time and these tumors pop up now and then. She has a different treatment called Immunotherapy or biological therapy which uses the body's own immune cells to fight the disease. To treat superficial bladder cancer, bacillus Calmette-Guérin (BCG) may be instilled directly into the bladder. BCG is a weakened (attenuated) strain of the tuberculosis bacillus that stimulates the body's immune system to fight the cancer. This therapy has been shown to be effective in controlling superficial bladder cancer.

I can say it all took my husband and I by total surprise. I have read that smoking can cause it - hubby does not smoke, and being around chemicals - which he has been, and also can be hereditary (who knows).

I know you will do well and all will work out good for you.

Last edited by kaye alexandra; 04-19-2007 at 07:04 PM.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:58 PM   #9
(female)

westllen HB User

Kay, I had the proceedure done today. Unfortunately I vomited during the proceedure and inhaled alot of it. It has settled in my right lung. Pulmonologist did a Chest Xray, now has me on 60 mg of prednisone and an antibiotic. I'm not happy about this.

Urologist said I should have the biopsy report and cytology report back by next week. Hopefully it will all be negative.

Closed Thread