It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2007, 01:45 PM   #1
(male)

Hardy09 HB User
Vitamin E and Bladder Cancer

In 2002, the results of a long-term study that evaluated the effect of regular use of vitamin C and vitamin E supplements on bladder cancer mortality in almost 1,000,000 adults in the U.S. was published by the American Cancer Society. The study was conducted between the years 1982 to 1998, and found that subjects who regularly consumed a vitamin E supplements for longer than 10 years had a reduced risk of death from bladder cancer. I think the study is impressive for two reasons, the large number of people studied, and the duration of the study.

Last edited by Hardy09; 05-18-2007 at 02:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2007, 02:29 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Mike In NY HB User
Re: Vitamin E and Bladder Cancer

I read a report a few months ago that mentioned Vitamin E but not C. It said that Alpha Tocopherol reduced risk of bladder cancer but Gama Tocopherol offered no protection. It mentioned almonds as an excellent source of Vitamin E. I don't eat almonds but I drink Almond Milk almost every day in oatmeal. It also mentioned spinach and red/green peppers. I don't remember who conducted the study.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2007, 02:44 PM   #3
(male)

Hardy09 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike In NY View Post
I read a report a few months ago that mentioned Vitamin E but not C. It said that Alpha Tocopherol reduced risk of bladder cancer but Gama Tocopherol offered no protection. It mentioned almonds as an excellent source of Vitamin E. I don't eat almonds but I drink Almond Milk almost every day in oatmeal. It also mentioned spinach and red/green peppers. I don't remember who conducted the study.
I think in the study I reported that Vitamin C had no effect. I eat almonds on oatmeal every morning, and also take 400 IU of Natural E. I'm thinking of cutting that to 200 IU, especially since the almonds have Vitamin E.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:40 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Mike In NY HB User

John Hopkins University Researcher Edgar R. Miller says that Vitamin E above 400 increases the risk of dying and shortens your life. Dosen't recommend taking Vit E supplements. It's all so very confusing. So many conflicting studies that cause fear and confusion. Maybe we should cease taking Vit E supplements and focus on almonds, spinach and peppers. I'm taking ALIVE but half the recommended dosage which is 100 IU a day. One study says it reduces your risk of bladder cancer and another one says it shortens your life. For years I took Vitamin Shoppe Multi Vitamins for Optimum Health which has 1000 IU's (3333% Daily Value). Who knew back then that this was too much.

Last edited by Mike In NY; 05-18-2007 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Add additional information.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:21 PM   #5
(male)

Hardy09 HB User

Quote:
John Hopkins University Researcher Edgar R. Miller says that Vitamin E above 400 increases the risk of dying and shortens your life. Dosen't recommend taking Vit E supplements. It's all so very confusing. So many conflicting studies that cause fear and confusion. Maybe we should cease taking Vit E supplements and focus on almonds, spinach and peppers. I'm taking ALIVE but half the recommended dosage which is 100 IU a day. One study says it reduces your risk of bladder cancer and another one says it shortens your life. For years I took Vitamin Shoppe Multi Vitamins for Optimum Health which has 1000 IU's (3333% Daily Value). Who knew back then that this was too much.
There are several issues involved, and it is very confusing. For one thing, the vast majority of vitamin E research with supplements (like 95%) has used d-Alpha-Tocopherol, which is the most active form of the vitamin. They have not really tested other types of vitamin E supplements, such as natural vitamin E supplements, which have all the tocopherols. I take a natural vitamin E supplement, for example, at 400 IU, but since it is not 400 IU of d-Alpha, it is a lower amount than a 400 IU d-Alpha (I think the d-Alpha in it amounts to 200 IU).

Isn't it strange that all sorts of research shows that natural vitamin E in food benefits health, but the researchers don't test the most natural form of vitamin E we get in supplements, but d-alpha vitamin E? Then they say, "Why don't we get the same good results from supplements that we get from food?" Then they say, "Don't take the supplements because its not the same as getting the vitamin from food"!

Of course, I am not sure that I buy into the dangers of high-dose d-alpha vitamin E supplements at all, since the studies, as far as I know, have not excluded nutty people who take ridiculously high amounts of the vitamin, amounts that no sane person would take; that HAS to distort the results. One well-respected researcher I read carefully analyzed the data and said that in his opinion up to 800 IU was safe. But for all we know, some of these people were taking 4,000 IU, or 10,000 IU.

Why anyone would want to take more than the standard 400 IU, as listed on most high-dose bottles, is beyond me, but I bet a lot of people with cancer, or a family history of cancer, and other very serious problems have done just that in desperation, and it has skewed the results. Naturally, sick people with cancer, or who have a family history of cancer, die more often than other people who don't have cancer, or have such a family history, and they also likely take higher doses of the vitamin. "More can't hurt, right? And I have CANCER." What does it prove to say that some of them died when taking high doses? They already had the disease, or were more likely to get it! I don't know what these stupid studies mean with regard to supplements if the doctors don't strictly control the dosages, and the groups of sick and well people that they are comparing, or use stringent control group methods.

There have been so many studies showing that vitamin E supplements work for all kinds of things, and I am very suspicious of these meta-analysis studies that automatically exclude whole classes of research, e.g., studies of vitamin E in which no one died. Maybe some of the people in those studies in which no one died, did not die because they were taking vitamin E!

I believe that in the SELECT study, which has been going on now for five years or so, and will report in 2013, the vitamin E dosage is 400 IU of d-alpha tocopherol. If the researchers ever thought that amount was even slightly dangerous to the patients, they would halt the study, as happens all the time in studies of drugs. Apparently, so far, people in the study have not been dropping like flies, because the study has not been halted.

Last edited by Hardy09; 05-18-2007 at 07:01 PM.

Old 05-19-2007, 04:25 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Mike In NY HB User

Many thanks for your lengthly informtive message. It's very helpful. I plan to continue taking supplements but less and focus more on a healthy diet. I've been taking supplements for at least 25 years and possibly more. I was encouraged by my Mother who took significant amounts and died at 99 and was sick for just two years. Father died at 54. I'm 67 and have never been in a hospital. I've never been sick except for a cold or the flu and I don't take medication which is rare for someone my age. I feel certain that supplements have helped me especially since I have not always lived a healthy life. I'm far more focused now on a healthy life because of age. When it comes to supplements, I always felt that much more than the recommended daily amount was better. Again, thanks.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:07 PM   #7
(male)

Hardy09 HB User

Quote:
Many thanks for your lengthly informtive message. It's very helpful. I plan to continue taking supplements but less and focus more on a healthy diet. I've been taking supplements for at least 25 years and possibly more. I was encouraged by my Mother who took significant amounts and died at 99 and was sick for just two years. Father died at 54. I'm 67 and have never been in a hospital. I've never been sick except for a cold or the flu and I don't take medication which is rare for someone my age. I feel certain that supplements have helped me especially since I have not always lived a healthy life. I'm far more focused now on a healthy life because of age. When it comes to supplements, I always felt that much more than the recommended daily amount was better. Again, thanks.
Thanks Mike. Yes, a healthy diet is so important, and it is good to know that you are focusing on that.

Closed Thread