It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2007, 08:22 PM   #1
(female)

nikkiisshort HB User
Unhappy Bladder Infection that wont go away?

I was diagnosed with a Bladder infection earlier in the week and was put on the generic form of Cipro XR and also took Uristat to help with the pain and such. Well, I finished the antibiotics (it was only 3 days) on Wednesday and I was fine. Then this morning I wake up and felt the need to use the bathroom even though I had just gone a few minutes ago. I figured that I was just dehydrated or something and drank some more fluids. And when I went to urinate, I noticed that terrible smell that I had before.

The smell is what's worrying me. I have a past of having kidney issues (mostly with kidney stones and infections), but haven't had any flare ups like this since I was in high school (Almost 3 years ago).

Can anyone tell me or give me some advice as to what I should do (other than increase my fluid intake, that I know is a given)? ANY feedback is welcomed!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2007, 09:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User
Re: Bladder Infection that wont go away?

Hi Nikii
Three days on antibiotics isn't enough time generally to heal a bladder infection. I would check with your doctor and ask for some more antibiotics. Also drinking cranberry juice every day helps. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Mus

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2007, 12:12 PM   #3
(female)

nikkiisshort HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by music47 View Post
Hi Nikii
Three days on antibiotics isn't enough time generally to heal a bladder infection. I would check with your doctor and ask for some more antibiotics. Also drinking cranberry juice every day helps. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Mus
Thank you Mus!

I definitely thought it was kind of odd that she put me on only 3 days of antibiotics. I've been drinking a lot of cranberry juice (luckily, it's post thanksgiving so we have a lot of it along with the cranberry sauce and such). Thank you!

-Nikki

Old 11-26-2007, 10:05 AM   #4
(female)

Catherine83 HB User

I've had a history of UTI's that seem to last forever. I went through 5 different antibiotics until 1 finally worked. It took over a month to find one that worked for me so I would just get my doctor to try something else. I was on a 3 day at first, then a 7 day, then a 10 day, and then 2 more 3 days before mine cleared up...it wasn't fun.
While you wait, drink tons of water and I take Super Concentrated Cranberry Supplements. They are 1680mg and easy to swallow (small softgels). I take 2 of those 3 time per day. Sometimes I get sick if I drink a lot of cranberry juice so this is a quick easy way of getting what you need without all the harshness of drinking it. I foudn these at WalMart where they keep the vitamins. They are under $5 for 120!
Hang in there ~ katie

Old 12-13-2007, 02:33 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Laye HB UserLaye HB UserLaye HB User
Re: Bladder Infection that wont go away? Catherine83

Catherine..If you don't mind me asking what antibiotic finally worked for you? I'm now on my 3rd round but with an entirely different bacteria. I was just curious as to what worked. I'm on Levaquin (sp). I started with Doxy and then Cipro and now this. It's frustrating. It is taking forever to clear up. I've never had problems like this before.

Thanks!

Closed Thread