It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2007, 07:58 PM   #1
(female)

Stacy1403 HB User
Angry Self Catheterization and Bladder Infections

Hi Everyone! Last week I started to self catheterize due to some urine retention that has been causing several bladder infections a year. Although I have been experiencing bladder infections all along the last 3 months has been worse than ever...one after another with hardly any break in between. Due to this my doctor has me self catheterizing twice a day. found it difficult on day one...had the hang of it by day two and it gets easier and easier each day. However, today I have been experiencing UTI symptoms and is positive I have one. I truly just finished a course of antibiotics on Thursday from my last one...it is now Sunday. I have a feeling it was caused by self-cath. Has anyone had similar experiences and if yes what have you done to try to keep them away. I should say I am already fairly obsessed with trying to keep UTI's away naturally because I experience them so often. I take extra Vitamin C, cranberry juice or pills and I stay away from anything with perfumes and chemicals on my clothing and bedding. Any other secrets to warding off the evil UTI????
Thanks,
Stacy

Old 12-03-2007, 12:10 AM   #2
(female)

Kim_blessed HB User
Re: Self Catheterization and Bladder Infections

Hi there,
I am afraid I don't have any practicle solutions for you. I just wanted to chime in and let you know I am sharing your misery. I've had infections on and off since June (much more on than off). I will be watching this thread for any helpful suggestions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2007, 11:07 AM   #3
(female)

agravy HB User

I have been doing theself-cath thing for about a yr. now 4x's a day & I must say that you do get used to it. I relate it to when you used to have a period & had to take the necessities with you to the bathroom. As far as infections I have been blessed & haven't had any. My uro. told me that I could use the same cath over & over just to make sure that I cleaned it well. I'm not willing to take any chances so I use a new one each time. It get expensive, but I think it's worth it to not get an infection. i also use those kleenex flushable wipes to clean myself before & after. I don't know if this is what has prevented me from getting infections or not, but I'm not willing to take any chances. You may already be doing this yourself, but if you're not this may be something you might want to try. Hope this helps.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:36 PM   #4
(female)

LeChat22001 HB User

Hi -
I have been self cath-ing for over two years and haven't had any infections so far. (Anxiously looking for a piece of wood to knock on)
My urologist also told me I could use my catheters more than once as long as I cleaned them well. I get four a month on my prescription and am just careful to wash them with anti-bacterial soap, always at home and soap anywhere else. I am very careful to not use a cath, if it touches any surface, without cleaning it. I always carry two with me when I go anywhere.
Are you using surgi-lube sterile lubricant with the cath?
I may just be less susceptible to UTI as I've only experienced them a few times in my life.
I have to say the self cathing gave me back my life. Prior to this I was famous for knowing where any bathrooms were whenever I went out with my friends. It is great to see a whole movie also.
Wish I had more suggestions for you. Good luck with this. Take care

Old 12-04-2007, 04:07 PM   #5
(female)

taosdaphne HB User

I just had a monster of a UTI, and need NOT to have another one until the urologist can run some tests. So I went out and bought cranberry tablets and take them religously. Cranberry (juice or tablet) is v. good for bladder health.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:24 PM   #6
(female)

Stacy1403 HB User

Thank you to everyone who has posted to my thread so far. Anything is helpful. I use a new sterile cath every time along with a sterile lubricant. I am hoping this UTI is just because I am just learning and it took a while the first few days to find out where it was suppose to go. so now that I am a lot more comfortable with the process hopfully the UTI's will be fewer and much farther between. Especially since my main reason for doing the self-cath was to eliminate UTI's or try to anyway. However, I do agree that even with the UTI I have not been having to go to the washroom as often...especially at night. The second night after starting this process I slept until 6:30 am before having to get up and go. That has been the first time in probably two years...I am use to getting up at least 4 closer to 6 times a night. So that alone is an answer to one of my many prayers. Time will tell I guess. Thanks everyone. Stacy

Closed Thread