It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2008, 06:59 AM   #1
(female)

sherryrenee0423 HB User
Question Anyone have Bladder Pain too?

Hello Everyone,

I haven't really introduced myself since I started reading/posting on the board. I was diagnosed with Fibro 3 years ago and now looking back on things, I'm almost positive my symptoms started way before I actually experience the muscle/joint pain. I was living in L.A. when I was hit with severe pain and ended up moving back to Texas (a blessing in disguise). I had to take a medical leave from school, BUT I finally graduated this last December. That was an empowering moment...even though it didn't happen until I was 24. I have a great job, very supportive boyfriend (soon to be fiance hopefully) and family, and the best weenie dog. My parents bought her for me when I was first diagnosed with FMS and she has made me a believer in the whole pet therapy movement. She helped me through the bad days.

So here's my question: Before I was diagnosed with FMS I got a severe bladder infection that almost sent me to the ER. My bladder has never been the same since that day. I've had so many tests and procedures done, which all left both the urologists I saw puzzled...they couldn't find any reason for the pain I have. Does this go along with FMS or is it a whole different issue? My bladder burns and aches most of the time. It burns when I urinate (no STD's, no infection). Anyone have a similar experience? Or am I just weird? Thanks for your help.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
(female)

Grapedy HB User
Re: Anyone have Bladder Pain too?

It's all after effects from the infection itself.

I too had a monstrousity of a bladder infection many years ago. It took 3 rounds of antibiotics and many gallons of cranberry juice to get rid of it. The constant burning and pain took two years to go away. Even now my bladder isn't fully recovered and it probably never will. I think it shrunk to be honest, lol. Sometimes I'll go 6+ times a day, even when I've drank hardly nothing. For years I couldn't even take a sip of something after 8pm or I'd be in the bathroom all night.

It can still burn and hurt when I go and sometimes I can't go. Even though I know I have to, nothing happens. The female bladder is a very delicately balanced organ and an infection can throw it so off kilter that you'll never be the same again.

You can try adding cranberry juice to your diet, of if you don't like the taste you can get cranberry pills. Worth a shot!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2008, 06:24 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi all,
i take 11,000mg of cranberry a day. i have had infections for over 3 years and see another doc for a second opinion next week. after all this time my fibro echos the pain of infection and there are times i could swear my bladder is afire. for myself fibro has come to live in my urinary tract because it is weak and compromised by the infections. fibro loves a weak spot in us. loves to mimic the pain and see if it can get your brain messed up. after all this time i can tell if a real infection is on its way or just fibro messing with me.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 02-07-2008, 11:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

The symptoms you describe are a common complaint of FMS sufferers. Interstitial Cystitis is a common complaint, but the urologist you visited apparently did not diagnose this condition (was a cystoscopy ever done?). IC can cause bladder pain with no evidence of an infection. It is a very painful experience. What can happen in fibromyalgics is calcium and phosphate don't join togeter and crystallize inside cells. Instead, the two substances coexist in solution. This is the effect you seen when you drop salt in water: It immediately enters into solution, though the sodium and the chloride are still there. As long as they're sufficiently diluted, they won't form particles. Phosphates leave the kidney in a dissolved state, but things change in the bladder, which is a reservoir that holds our liquid waste until sufficient volume needs to be voided. While waiting in the bladder, phosphate solidifies in combination with calcium, oxalate, or magnesium. The weight of these microscopic crystals cause them to sink to the base of the bladder and settle around the opening of the uretha. On urination, these particles are swept out and, like liquid sandpaper, abrade the delicate lining, the mucosa. If the scraping effect is sufficiently injurious, the integrity of the membrane is compromosed and, once broken, allows bacterial penetration. The five most common dietary triggers for painful attacks are: cranberry juice, coffee, carbonated beverages, tomatoes, and tobacco. Vitamin C supplements can be a problem because of their acidic composition - even the buffered form. car and airplane rides are notorious triggers, so Prelief (an OTC) may be taken as a preventative measure. Stretching and excercise may also prove to be helpful in the long run.

Hope this helps!
Kirstee

Old 02-07-2008, 01:49 PM   #5
(female)

sherryrenee0423 HB User

Wow that was quite a response to my question. Are you in the medical field? Both urologists did the scope thing and the water retention thing and stretched my urethra (ouch!). Both doctors said they couldn't find anything and basically gave up on me. I also passed three kidney stones right after the really bad infection. That put me in the ER, but they sent me home because they were small enough to pass on my own. It gets really painful that time of the month...very achey. I've suspected that it might be IC, but since two urologists couldn't find an answer I'm reluctant to diagnose myself. Of course, I haven't been back to a urologist in 5 years because they poked me so much I couldn't handle it anymore. I've had all of my records trandferred to my Gynocologist because she knows a lot about urology because her daughter has had lots and lots of problems. She's really great. She discovered that I have a heart-shaped uterus...I'm a little curious to see if that might affect my bladder/urethra pain.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:57 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Hi Sherry:
It sounds as though the current doctor really cares. I understand not wanting to go back to the urologist since a lot of the tests are unpleasant. I'm not a medical professional, but I have studied a lot about what effects FMS patients. You might try the guafenesin protocol which was pioneered by Dr. Paul St. Amand. You can find out about this type of medication searching the internet. This board does not allow me to post actual websites, but you know what to do. I am on this protocol and I have improved immensely.

Blessings,
Kirstee

Closed Thread