It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2008, 08:01 PM   #1
(female)

lynneec56 HB User
neurological problems with bladder due to diabetes

My urologist has determined that my bladder's muscles lack of ability to spasm or to empty completely is due to nurological problems. He wishes to install an Interstrim Sacral Nerve Stimulator in my bladder. All I can find is documentation for pain on the internet. What are the pro/ con (s)? I am concerned a great deal about infection---but even more about having to catherize myself several times a day down the road. Help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2008, 07:32 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Momof2sons HB User
Re: nurological problems with bladder due to diabetes

lynneec56,

I have what they call a "Neurogenic bladder", basicly means my bladder is dead, no nerve function, so it dosent contract. I have been self cathing for 10 years now.(I'm 43 now) I know the thought can be dawnting, but its not as bad as it sounds. At this point its second nature to me, but certiantly remember how mortified I was at the thought of it, way back then.
Over the years I have researched a great deal on MY situation, and have learned quite a bit. To be able to pee, your bladder NEEDS to "contract", for your bladder to contract, there HAS to be nerve function. Your bladder "spasms" with the "muscle" the bladder and bowels work off the same muscle. What I was TOLD reguarding The "Interstim implant" was this, that in order for it to work, there HAS TO BE NERVE FUNCTION, even a little bit of function will increase the chances of the Interstim working for you. Most importantly there IS a "temporary version" that they CAN TRY, prior to going full out and implanting the device. I would highly recomend doing this before having the implant.
Now for me, this device wont work because I have NO nerve function, caused by nerve damage during my hysterectomy I had 10 years ago.
I have some questions for you if you dont mind...Now I'm assuming you have had "Urodynamic studies" done, for him to concider this device? Does your bladder SHOW nerve function, there for, "contraction"? Can you pee on your own, but are just unable to empty? If so, how much are you retaining? What do they believe has caused you to have "bladder retention"?
Try looking up Just "Interstim Implant" or "Interstim implant for bladder retention".... It is hard to find alot of information on it, but its there.
Feel free to ask me any questions reguarding the retention, I may not know all the answers, but am willing to help you find them.
Take care, and God bless,
Annette

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread