It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

fibrostuff HB User
Fibro and the bladder

Lately I have had the feeling that I have to go to the bathroom and I don't (my dr. doesn't think it's an infection), or I have to go often. There has been one or two dribbles if I held it to long. Sometimes there is a feeling of "pressure" down in the private area.

I am in my late 30's, so I don't know if I can chalk it up to getting older. I haven't had children.

This is causing me anxiety. I am applying for jobs where I would have to commute a ways, and I stress that I could pee in the car!

I have drank pure cranberry and taken yeast med just in case per dr. directions.

I have read the fibro patients have bladder issues. Can anyone relate to the issue and the anxiety?

Thank you

Old 02-26-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
(female)

STEFFI43 HB User
Re: Fibro and the bladder

I have Fibro and also a condition of the bladder called Interstitial Cystitis.
Look this up on the Internet and see if the symptoms apply to your problem. Interstitial Cystitis is quite painful. Good luck.

Steffi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2008, 10:35 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

fibrostuff HB User

Thank you, I will ask my doctor about that.

Years ago I had a bladder infection that took a month or two to go away. After it was gone I still had some bladder discomfort for what I think was a year or so.

Is your IC painful everyday, or do you get flares of it?

Thank you

Old 02-26-2008, 10:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

baserockermom HB User

I'm in my mid-forties and for about ten years have increasingly had to go during the night (three times) and had some leakage during the day. I, too, figured I was just getting old and might need to get things tacked up, you know. I've been on Lyrica for three months now and that is one benefit from the drug that has not waned. From day one I have been able to sleep through the night (once I get to sleep) without urinating and have had absolutely no more leakage during the day.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:14 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

fibrostuff HB User

Interesting. So the bladder issues you had must be fibro related since the Lyrica is helping.

Doesn't sound like you had/have Interstitial Cystitis unless you have bladder pain. So, just fibro bladder. I suppose I will have to go to a dr. to figure out which one I have. argh.

Thank you for your comments.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Interstitial Cystitis is a common problem with FMS. What can happen in fibromyalgics is calcium and phosphate don't join together and crystallize inside cells. Instead, the two substances coexist in solution. This is the effect you seen when you drop salt in water: It immediately enters into solution, though the sodium and the chloride are still there. As long as they're sufficiently diluted, they won't form particles. Phosphates leave the kidney in a dissolved state, but things change in the bladder, which is a reservoir that holds our liquid waste until sufficient volume needs to be voided. While waiting in the bladder, phosphate solidifies in combination with calcium, oxalate, or magnesium. The weight of these microscopic crystals cause them to sink to the base of the bladder and settle around the opening of the uretha. On urination, these particles are swept out and, like liquid sandpaper, abrade the delicate lining, the mucosa. If the scraping effect is sufficiently injurious, the integrity of the membrane is compromosed and, once broken, allows bacterial penetration. The five most common dietary triggers for painful attacks are: cranberry juice (very acidic), coffee, carbonated beverages, tomatoes, and tobacco. Vitamin C supplements can be a problem because of their acidic composition - even the buffered form. Car and airplane rides are notorious triggers, so Prelief (an OTC) may be taken as a preventative measure. Stretching and excercise may also prove to be helpful in the long run.

Hope this helps!
Kirstee

Old 02-27-2008, 01:51 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

tiredpoet HB User

I have Interstitial Cystitis without a lot of pain from it. I have more pain when everything else flares. Other times I have maybe a dull feeling near my bladder or no pain at all, just a constant need to urinate even though most times I don't go very much at all or barely even a "trickle."

My doctor told me cranberry juice will actually aggravate IC very much.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:57 PM   #8
(female)

sherryrenee0423 HB User

The bladder pain started before the Fibro for me. It feels like a nightmare bladder infection I had 7 years ago never went away. Drinking lots of water helps with the pain...I sure can feel it when I don't drink enough liquid. It really starts to ache when I'm on my period too. And the sitting for long amounts of time makes it worse. I recently started Pilates and I don't know what it's doing, but it seems to be helping tame the aching and pain. I guess because my core is getting stronger? Anyways, went to the urologist many times over and they never figured out what was wrong with me. Then the fibro kicked in in my legs and the doctors chalked my bladder pain up to the fms.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:35 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

fibrostuff HB User

I was just wondering if the Vitamin C mix that I am taking was effecting it!

Also, when I told my doctor I felt like I might have a UTI he told me to drink pure cranberry, which I did. That kills any bacteria, but would aggrevate IC!

All of this started before he gave me the Vitamin C mix or told me about the cranberry, but I drink coffee daily and love tomatoes.

If I am to understand this right, IC is a variety of bladder symptoms that come and go? Or is it only bladder pain?

Is the pain similar to cramps? Maybe not the actually cramping but the heaviness/location?

THANKS TO ALL!

Old 03-02-2008, 01:52 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

IC happens in FMSers when the phosphate/calcium action causes crystals to form in the bladder. The crystals cause deep irritation in the bladder lining. This can cause pain and/or a bladder infection. Another symptom is bladder spasms, back pain, or general heaviness in the vicinity of the bladder with or without a bladder infection. Because FMSers have a very acidic composition to their bodies, it is important to avoid acid-causing foods such as tomatoes, Vit C, etc., when they are enduring a flare. When I have IC, it lasts for about 6 months, then is suddenly gone when the flare has waned. It is a nutty piece of work.

Blessings,
Kirstee

Old 03-02-2008, 03:12 PM   #11
(female)

Ishla HB User

I havn't looked up IC yet, but sounds interesting. I have problems with my bladder constantly.

Closed Thread