It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2008, 08:27 PM   #1
(female)

Christa007 HB User
Bladder spasm??

Hey ya'll,

I don't know why, but for the past few years I've been getting what seem to be spasms, in the middle of the night, to the point where when I get up to rid the urge to pee, I absolutley cannot at all. I end up going back to bed with no relief, in great amounts of pain, and wake up in the morning and find that I can pee!

Has anybody experienced this before? Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2008, 08:13 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Momof2sons HB User
Re: Bladder spasm??

Christa,
When you say "bladder spasm" what exactly do you "feel"? Is it a sort of very painful burning sensation, that you are unable to pee through? If so you MAY be experiencing Urethral spasm, which would be actualy closing off the urethra, making it impossible to urinate. When you are able to go in the morning, Is there is a large amount? Do you feel like your bladder is empty when you DO go? Is there any pain when YOU ARE able to go?
Do you have any other bladder symptoms?
It's hard to comment further without more information.

Wish you well,
God bless,
Annette

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2008, 02:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

I had something like that years ago. The Dr. had given me Amitriptyline (sp?) to take at bedtime. It stopped the spasms and stretched the bladder so I did not get up all night. It is an anti depressant but is used for bladder problems and other things.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:12 PM   #4
(female)

Christa007 HB User

It feels like a pull, and it happens when I'm asleep, never when I'm awake, its painful and I end up waking up and trying to pee, and its impossible, I have the urge to go, but I can't. In the morning, yes, there is a large amount, and after I go my bladder feels empty, but I can have minor ache throughout the day, and no, when I go in the morning there is no pain.

I don't have any other bladder symptoms...

Old 03-08-2008, 05:11 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Momof2sons HB User

Christa,
It sounds like to me that its possibly your Urethra that is spasming, which in turn would make it impossible to pee through. Im not sure what would cause this "only at night" other than your bladder may be "over full" when this happens. And the aching your having during the day, may be because it was "stretched" from the sheer volume during the night? But then again, your able to go in the morning. That is puzzling.
The fact its gone on for 3 years, I would have it evaluated by a Urologist. They could do a Urodynamic study and fill your bladder to try to promote this to happen, so they can SEE what is going on. As you can imagin its not a good thing to have your bladder "over distended" which could lead to infection, and in the extream, bladder "prolaps".
I do know from personal experience that when the Urethra spasms its impossible to go. So that would be my best guess. They do have "antispasmotics" that "IF" that is the problem it could take care of that. But believe a full work up on your bladder function should be done.
Please let us know how you make out.

Take care and God bless,
Annette

Old 03-25-2008, 03:49 PM   #6
(female)

reellulu83 HB User

Hey Christa,

I share your experiences exactly! I wake up constantly with the feeling of spasm/pain and it's so uncomfortable but then when I finally get back to sleep I wake up and am able to urinate fairly normally. My symptoms started after a nasty UTI a year ago and I had a cystoscopy that revealed minor scarring in my bladder and during the procedure I had my bladder and urethra stretched a little which relieved it entirely. I had another UTI just last month and it started it all back up again. My urologist has prescribed me Oxybutynin which is an anti-spasmodic specifically for bladder spasms and so far it's keeping it at bay and I'm sleeping through the night again. It sounds like it might work for you.

Closed Thread