It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
Now a UTI bladder problem

For the past two weeks, I've been treated for a UTI. After first few days on one antibiotic, still had feeling of pelvic pressure so dr put me on cipro for 5 days. Still have pressure in abdomen and urinate frequently. Internist saw no sign of infection in sample today, so am going to make appointment with gynecologist. Internist said need to rule out bladder prolapse---freaked me out....After having waited and prepared for hip surgery for so many months don't want anything to interfere with August date. Also, depressed--hit 50 and everything's seemingly falling apart. Tonight read web, trying to get info--all of it sounds bad--however, am evaluating diet and realizing that I've really almost tripled my caffeine intake the past two weeks (very stressed with work and stuff and we have a new starbucks machine in the breakroom and am also drinking lots of iced tea because its hot in Texas already). So, am hoping when I see gynecologist, she will see nothing dire and there will be a reasonable explanation for this persistent problem. Just here stewing and worrying so thought I'd bare my worries to the board.

Maggie

Old 06-03-2008, 12:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User
Re: Now a UTI bladder problem

maggie, i'm sure they'll sort it out in time for your op, you have a couple of months yet.
when i had the pre op tests for having my first hip done, my urine sample kept coming back 'contaminated', time and time again. the surgeon said he wouldn't go ahead until i had a clear sample, and like you, i was completely devastated. my gp put me on a very high dose of antibiotics for 3 days, and that did the trick. why it kept saying 'contaminated' and never 'infected' i have no idea.
with the second hip, it was blood pressure. never had a high reading in my life, then at the pre op. tests, same thing - far too high to go ahead with the op!! gp started me on blood pressure meds and managed to get it down to an acceptable level for the surgeon, so the op did go ahead.
so, i do understand how you're feeling, but as i say, you have plenty of time to get it sorted out. i'm sure they will do all they can to ensure that you have the op when it's scheduled. but if not, then better to be safe than sorry and wait a little while longer. these tests are done for a reason and your surgeon is the best one to decide if it's safe to go ahead with surgery.
keep your chin up maggie.
sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2008, 03:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Hi Maggie:

If you have tripled your caffeine intake recently, that could well explain all the extra bathroom visits. Try cutting way down on the coffee and tea. Orange juice can also bother some and make more bathroom trips.
Do get the bladder checked out too. Cover all the bases. Please let us know how cutting the caffeine intake helps!

Shirley H.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:29 AM   #4
(female)

lthomas HB User
Exclamation Re: Now a UTI bladder problem

Don't want to freak you out but check out the symptoms for interstitial cystitis. You are naming a few of the "bullet" symptoms for interstitial cystitis. I have IC and it is not a horrible disease. It is aggravating though and notoriously missed in diagnosis until it is really really bad. I would definitely find a urogynecologist or a urologist that specializes in treating IC if you think you might have it.

Gymnastics is fun at 18 but not at 40.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:37 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Thanks all. I have an appointment on Friday! I will ask about the interstitial cystitis. And, in meantime, at advice of my internist, I've cut back severely on caffeine (taking just enough to avoid big withdrawal headaches) and also got some probiotic tabs from health food store plus yogurt--to establish good bacteria in system.

The hip stuff sometimes takes so much energy, that other health issues just push me into overwhelm mode--It also just irritates me.........when I get into this kind of spot, I have to consciously relax and remind myself what I have to be grateful for...

I'll let you all know what happens. Thanks for the support

Old 06-03-2008, 07:01 PM   #6
(female)

lthomas HB User

If you still feel like you have UTI but the test says no...this is a big big bullet sign of IC.

IC is a fairly complicated disease. Symptoms vary so greatly and there is no "sure fire" test to diagnosis it. It is notoriously overlooked and incredibly misdiagnosed as other problems. Diet plays a huge part in most ICers. The medical community doesn't really know what causes it and they don't have a "prefect" cure but there are tons and tons of treatment. Stress has been indicated as a "trigger" for IC. My urogynecologist is an nationally recognized IC expert and he thinks stress causes a number of IC symptoms to surface. He feels that IC is also associated with bladder trauma.

I had surgery in 2003 to correct 5 different pelvic prolapse. It is a tough surgery but it was well worth it for me.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-20-2012 at 09:44 AM.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:45 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

sugarboots HB User

I second the suggestion of Interstitial Cystitis. The disease is not very well known. Please discuss it with your OBGYN. Most know of it. Mine diagnosed my case.

I would try and stay away from caffeine, acidic foods, citrus anything, sodas; all which are bladder irritants. See if you feel better and have less frequency. You can learn alot about seeing a urologist who can diagnose and treat you, if that's what you have. Mine started w/a uti pain that wouldnt go away, although the infection did. It took me 5 urologists until I found one who really knew how to treat it.
Good luck!

Last edited by Administrator; 02-20-2012 at 09:45 AM.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:22 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Thanks all. Went to see my gynecologist today and she did extra tests. Fortunately diagnosis was yeast infection. So am vastly relieved. Thanks for all the info though. It's good to know about all this stuff!

Old 06-07-2008, 11:06 AM   #9
(female)

lthomas HB User

Oh that is great news.

Closed Thread