It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2008, 05:33 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
Could meds contribute to kidney/bladder infections

Woke up this morning in such pain in lower abdomen. I have had pain on the left side for days, probably over a week, very much like ovarian pain. It was getting abit worse. Then it started waking me up last night, along with the dang shoulder & arm. Felt like a ton of pressure. Woke up this morning & could hardly straighten up my lower abdonmen hurt so bad felt nauseated, hurt to even sit down, strange. Could not touch it there. Felt alittle better after going to the bathroom but is still there, like a burning pain. Hurts to stand straight up. I am wondering if it could be a kidney or bladder infection. I drink a ton of water so I am wondering if the meds could contribute to something like this. I am always going to the bathroom so that would be nothing new. Very intense pain with alot of pressure. What do you think? I can barely move my arm at all this morning so When it rains it pours! Sammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2008, 05:53 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User
Re: Could meds contribute to kidney/bladder infections

Hi Sammy,

Well that is an interesting question! I thought that when a person had kidney pain it was sort of on the lower back/side area? I have never heard of anything like that. When I had a kidney stone I whad pain on my lower back/side.

It almost sounds like really severe constipation. Okay this will sound funny, but is your urine a noticible dark color because that would be a sign of something with the kidney's.
Sometimes if I am really severely constipated I will have the same feeling. I may have even gone some is the days prior, but I can still get severley constipated.
I would suggest to go to the ER or you Primary if it starts to become unbearable, because you never know what could be going on in there.
Sammy, I hope this discomfort and pain will go away and you can go back to the way things always are.

Hang in there! Christine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2008, 07:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Sammy, I think Chrissy may be on to something. I was thinking the same as she did, when I read your post. I have had this happen several times over the years and it has always been constipation. What really clicked was what you said about the pressure and that it even hurts to sit. I know that feeling very well. The thing is, that you may even be able to "go" a little each day, but can still technically be constipated.

I also drink tons of water and take stool softeners and fiber supplements every day. It doesn't happen as often now, but I still have issues occasionally. Stress can add to it as well, and I know you've had more than your share of that lately. Opiates/opioids in general can be very constipating.

Are you taking anything on a daily basis? (stool softener, fiber, etc.) You may want to give it a shot. Another thing I notice is that when I am constipated, I tend to get a lot of gas pain as well. I take OTC Gas-Ex and it helps a great deal.

Sorry you are going through this. It can be really painful, especially on top of chronic pain. I hope you can get some relief soon. Good luck and God Bless, CMP/MM

Old 06-03-2008, 09:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

I thought the same, perhaps I am not going enough. The pain is going around the back left side. But heck with me who knows. Anything on the left can be confusing. I do take something everyday & the norco & motrin did kind of have me messed up. I swear this is like ovarian pain. I am going to try the miralax today to see. Although I did have a decent bowel movement this morning. My husbund wants me to go to the doctor, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I have this issue with anger with the doctors right know & I better work on that. The weather is acting up & I no longer question if it effects my pain because I am in a whole lot today.
I just am sick of it all. I feel like crap & tired of seeing everyone suffer for my pain.
I told my husband I will have to get some help it this continues, I just dont know how to handle it at times. Maybe it just been to much at once. I can't take antidepressants & wont even attempt to ever again. I don't know guys, I will try to muddle through.
I feel like I am at the preschool level of how to accept & deal with cp.
For me I love to laugh & be as active as I can be & this is robbing me of all that I am.
Of course I have gotten way off topic here, suffering abit of the blues. I have alot to learn. Chirssy I truely hope with all my heart you can get rid of this pain.
cmp, I know now what you were saying how some days you just feel like thats it, or its all doom & gloom. I have to spend more time talking to god, I know deep down that is the only way I will get through this & accept it. How do they even know for sure that it cmp? Although deep inside for once I know their correct. We will see. Hopefully its the bowels & it clears up with the miralax. Sammy

Old 06-03-2008, 02:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Sammy, once you get the miralax in your system and take it everyday if you are as lucky as me you will not have any future problems.

As far as being blue, this is very natural where you are at. You doctor did something very cruel to you -- remember I went thru this too last September -- I still get emotional about it. I don't think I will ever forgive this doctor and when I read threads like yours well I just relieve the pain. The one thing that helped me more than anything was going on prozac. It helped me so much. I don't know what kind of problems you have had with anti-depressents but I know it was a miracle drug for me. I was able to stop crying. Now I have switched to cymbalta and it is okay but I liked prozac best.

I even encouraged another cper to try an antidepressent and her hubby was so thankful for that suggestion and she is too. It really, really helped alot.

So you might consider it but again I don't know what happened. I was amazed at how much it helped me mentally and emotionally.

I am continuing to pray for you -- I know you are struggling right now. Keep posting we are here for you.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:22 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

aussiejono HB User

Take a teaspoon of baking soda in 500ml water, if it is a UTI, this will releive the pain very quickly.... if thats the case, an antibiotic might be indicated.

Re constipation, try taking 2 or 3 Senna tablets at bedtime, keeps you from getting too bound up.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:31 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

chablis3 HB User

Sammy, how nice to find you again, but so sorry you are having such trouble. I have not posted for awhile, but have thought about you often. I was hoping you were feeling much better, and it just upsets me to read the trouble you are still having. I am not sure what the problem might be with the pain your having in your left side, but, I do know that meds can surely mess a person up stomache wise and create all kinds of havoc. If I take too much of just ibuprophen, it gives me problems, so I would think other meds can do the same thing. My, you have been through so much between the initial operation, and now the problem with your surgeon and meds. No wonder your scared and upset.

Just wanted to drop in and send my best to you, and I hope you get everything straightened out soon.....and start feeling better. As the other posters said, you get on those doctors and demand some help; you have the right to do that...especially with your surgeon who cut you off just like that with no meds.....how cruel of him.

Hopefully by today you have found someone to help you. Take care, and my very best to you.

Judy

Old 06-04-2008, 05:34 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks everyone I have taken the miralax so we will see. I think I will stay on it for awhile just to be on the safe side. Baking soda & water, that sounds simple enough.
chab, how wonderful it hear from you & how ironic I was just thinking about you. How are you & how is your daughter?
Yes as you can see I am abit of a mess, officially a cper. At least I am in good company. I am just so glad to hear from you.
Pepper cant take antidepressants, they had tried me on several in the past & has some nasty side effects. My husbund was furious with the doctor & said enough! Some trips to ER, & so depressed I was thinking things I would have never thought. So they are a no no for me. I wish I could take something but I think I have tried at least 4 in the past & same thing with each of them.
My sisterinlaw said the same effexor (spelled wrong) really helped her. I am worred the PM doctor may want me to try it again & I would have to say no, they scare me to much. I am praying when I get into Pm it will help.
Thanks everyone, Sammy

Old 06-04-2008, 09:02 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

Oh SAMMY, Thank god you have a PM apt coming up. it seems every day you are worse and worse and worse. I am having a hard time keeping up with all of your ailments and post about how much pain you live with and how scared you are of your upcoming PM Apt. I am almost thinking some of your pain could be from so much worry, stress, and anxiety. it does tend to increase the pain you already have.

I have no adivce here but I sure hope your up coming Dr can help you. I will be horrified if he won't. Have you thought about seeing a pain Psychiatrist?
It might be helpful so you can deal with things a bit better anxiety wise.

what date is your apt? I thought it was last Monday? please lay low and just take your norco and percocet and don't worry so much about your MEDICATION PLEASE just take it and don't feel so guilty about taking 1 percocet if you really need it please take it!! its only going to make things worse, and just hang on until your up coming PM apt. the Dr will have an ear ful and I hope your apt is a long one so you can explain all of your ailments and worries to him ans your pain issues, hopefully you wo't break down into tears but probably will, I know I have. I feel for you and I think a pain Psychiatrist would be good step for you in the future for coping skills, so you can cope a little easier. Hugs, SS

Old 06-04-2008, 10:09 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Sammy, if you don't mind, could you list all your symptoms please.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:56 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pepper & SS, I went on the miralax & hopefully that will help, feel not as much pain today. The reason I was thinking infection was I am getting some discharge, & the pain was going around the back & spreading. I do believe having to take all the extra meds because of the refill problem played havoc on my system. I do not do well with the codeine & then all the motrin. Yes it has been stressful, one thing after another. The darn surgeon really threw me through a loop & then the MRI results & the office attitude & not giving my records over. Having to hurry & find a PM. All of it, alittle to much. On top of that everyday family life, you know? Heck I am sorry but I am still trying to digest all this & get used to the surgeon telling me this is my life now.
As I was saying to cmp, who is telling me kind of what it normal, I honestly believe this crummy weather is intensifying my pain. I no longer question how the weather effects my pain. I am really thinking about after getting into PM & calming down dropping alittle note to the surgeon, give him something to think about.
I have already told my husband that if I don't start to deal better with this I will have to seek help. I am getting to know my limits. I am not sure how long it takes to accept something like this.
How about you Pepper? how are you doing with accepting this?
You to SS? I am trying to mentally stay posative. It changes hour to hour.
Now I have got to deal with the liver thing. These darn doctors, why can't they just explain & do things the right way. We are not stupid & we know not to expect miracles but there has got to be a better way. For example if the surgeons think you may indeed need PM, prepare that person, give them names, let them look into it. How hard it that. Especially when someone like me comes out & asks. How many of us have gone through that?
Look how it still makes you feel Pepper. That has me seeing red! How dare they take it in there hands to rock someones world like that. They need to be reminded of the oath they take. At least they can be honest to you face to face. Not have someone call you & say sorry your on your own, don't really care if your suffering. They do it because they can. I have half a mind to take a video of my worst day & send it to this guy, along with letters from my children & my husband who just told me yesturday that he goes to work worried sick about how I am going to do that day. He sees how it is in the morning & knows. I am sure your familes go through the same. It just so uncalled for. Ok, I let off some steam. I will pray that this PM doc is good, but if not then I will find one that is. I am paying for it in every way & I think we should be entitled to decent care & choices. You are so wonderful for caring, I hope we all have some better days ahead. God bless! Sammy

Old 06-04-2008, 01:07 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Just another thought...pain meds do/can cause urinary retention. A few years ago I had a uti seemingly out of the blue. After the fact I noticed that I had not been 'going' as much or drinking as much water. I do have to make a conscious effort to empty my bladder. Constipation is much more common but urinary retention does happen. Good luck.~Mush

Old 06-04-2008, 01:16 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Sammy, I hate to sound so stereotypical, but most surgeons have egos the size of their Mercedes'. They are notorious for not wanting to admit that the procedure they performed didn't cause a miraculous recovery! I have worked with some of the best surgeons in my area over the years, and many of them have such God complexes, that you wouldn't believe what comes out of their mouths!

I apologize to anyone who knows a good caring surgeon who doesn't fit this profile and I know I shouldn't generalize, but just look at the number of people here who have had horrible experiences with theirs. So many here on the board have been dropped without explaination or concern, it is just appalling!

Now that I got that out...........My hubby used to worry about me the way yours does. He has become quite used to it over the years though and he doesn't worry as much. Of course, I have found a great PM doc, and I am getting excellent care, so I know that helps the whole process. My wish is that everyone here could have the same experience that I do with a PM doc. I have said before, if I could clone mine, I'd send him to every person here who is struggling to find the right one.

Hang in there and take care, CMP/MM

Old 06-04-2008, 02:13 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

Sammy,

I think all of us cp'ers go through an adjustment period when we learn that this could be our life now. It was very hard on me, and I am sure many others. I looked at it like a death, and the "Old Me" had died, and it left the "sick Me" in it's place. Not very happy news. I literally had to grieve over the "loss of Old Me". That is okay to do. It's normal and this is a very hard transition in anyone's life.

I finally had enough. I was not very optimistic, but I started looking in the phone book for counselors. I could not believe that I found one that specializes in chronic pain. I made an appt. immediatley. Turns out, not only does he specialize in chronic pain, he also suffers from cp as well. It helped me so much to not only talk to someone, but for someone to help me work through this grief process. I would highly recommend this for you Sammy. This is a process, and it's not a marathon! This takes time, and it is an on-going acceptance.

I hope that you will consider talking to someone about the changes in your life You deserve help with this, because it can be so difficult to cope with. There is nothing wrong with you that needs to be "fixed." Your reaction to this life-changing situation is normal. Please find someone to help you through this, so that you can cope, heal, and be happy.

Your Friend,

Amanda

Old 06-04-2008, 04:06 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks ladies & it is good to know that the meds can cause some issues there. I am a waterholic, but had really started to decrease because I was so tired started drinking abit more coffee. Guess I'll go back to the water. I am trying wait it out, dont want to go to the docters & see if taking the miralax & going more will help in the pain department.
Yes Amanda I have considered talking to someone, I am hoping to get into PM & at least have abit more control. I fully admit I lack patience & am trying to be pateint in telling myself acceptance takes time. I do feel I gues like you did, like a very vital part of me is gone. It could always be worse, some days its hard to see that.
Cmp, I sure wish you could clone your PM, we would all be standing in line. What a wonderful compliment to him & how fortuante you are, You deserve to have someone good, we all do. I am asking around. I have kept this to myself so inorder to ask around I have to tell other family members & for me thats not easy. Im not sure why I feel that way, but I do. I assure you I dont really feel sorry for myself, I look over some of my posts & even to me it sounds like it. I am more angry, stunned & scared. I hate to think negative & it goes against who I am, perhaps that is why this is so hard.
If this PM works out it will give me some thing to at least focus on, you know maybe even some of my old life back. I know, I know I wont get it all, but some is better then none. Heck I never knew something could hurt so much every single day. I so give you credit cmp. Of course all the other vetern cper's to. It will all take time.

Closed Thread