It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
(female)

dinkles HB User
Interstitial Cystitis versus bladder infection - HELP

Wow. There is a lot of useful info here. About 20 years ago I had repeated bouts with UTI's (one every week or two) for several years and then fine for a long time. Fast forward 15 years. About 1 1/2 years ago had some symptoms of bladder infection (feeling of still having to go after going and some burning/pain). Went to urologist who put me on an antibiotic and then another antibiotic to no success. Had a cystoscopy which showed cystitis (inflammation). Since that time every once in a while I feel like I am coming down with bladder infection but symptoms disappear so I go on with my life. Last week had the nagging feeling that maybe I had an infection coming on but it went away. Last night I went to the potty and peed and urine had a very strong odor and was cloudy and yellow and it hurt after I went (no during, but after). I have never had urine that smelled like this and was that cloudy. Urologist has called out an antibiotic and pyridium for the pain/burning, etc. I had cultures last year when I was flaring but they came back negative and symptoms eventually went away. This time only getting worse.

Can someone have IC and can it feel this much like a UTI?

Is it true that odor and cloudy urine is a sure sign of bacteria in the urine?

If the culture comes back negative, can this be IC?

The urologist has mentioned the term interstitial cystitis to me before but never officially diagnosed it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2008, 06:29 AM   #2
(female)

katrina_35 HB User
Re: Interstitial Cystitis versus bladder infection - HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkles View Post
Wow. There is a lot of useful info here. About 20 years ago I had repeated bouts with UTI's (one every week or two) for several years and then fine for a long time. Fast forward 15 years. About 1 1/2 years ago had some symptoms of bladder infection (feeling of still having to go after going and some burning/pain). Went to urologist who put me on an antibiotic and then another antibiotic to no success. Had a cystoscopy which showed cystitis (inflammation). Since that time every once in a while I feel like I am coming down with bladder infection but symptoms disappear so I go on with my life. Last week had the nagging feeling that maybe I had an infection coming on but it went away. Last night I went to the potty and peed and urine had a very strong odor and was cloudy and yellow and it hurt after I went (no during, but after). I have never had urine that smelled like this and was that cloudy. Urologist has called out an antibiotic and pyridium for the pain/burning, etc. I had cultures last year when I was flaring but they came back negative and symptoms eventually went away. This time only getting worse.

Can someone have IC and can it feel this much like a UTI?

Is it true that odor and cloudy urine is a sure sign of bacteria in the urine?

If the culture comes back negative, can this be IC?

The urologist has mentioned the term interstitial cystitis to me before but never officially diagnosed it.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:48 AM   #3
(female)

katrina_35 HB User

Hi, i just came across your site...I too, have interstitial cystitis and yes it does feel like a UTI..it is a horrible disease and it does not go away. it can go into remission for a while but you have to make sure you don't eat the wrong thing...Things that are a NO No are: Coffee, Caffeine, Tomato Paste, Chocolate, Salt and Pop. If you go to the ICNnetwork.com it is a site for IC patients and it is very helpful. when i have flare ups i have to go get Bladder Instillations and believe me it helps...it may be uncomfortable but it helps, as a matter of fact i had to go get one yesterday. but when i feel it coming on if i ate something i shouldn't have..take a hot bath, take tylenol and drink a cup of water with baking soda and rest with a heating pad on your abdomen. If you just have to eat something that you shouldn't...go to Jewels or Walgreens and get Prelief...it should be in the antacid aisle and what that does is...you take it before anymeal that you feel have acid in it and it will take the acid out before it hits the bladder......I have had this for years and never knew it...I always thought it was a UTI and went for antibiotics and they never helped...this is when i found out that it was IC. I hope this help you a little. God Bless

Old 07-30-2008, 06:50 AM   #4
(female)

katrina_35 HB User

and yes....if the culture comes back negative and you are still having this problem....it is more than likely IC.

Closed Thread