It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2008, 12:14 PM   #1
(female)

grandmasue HB User
what to do when the bladder doesn't empty completely

what to do when the bladder doesn't empty completely. My Urologist said my bladder was stretched. He doesn't know why and said the only thing I can do is Cath three times a day. Not much of an answer, I don't think.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:33 PM   #2
(female)

skewch HB User
Re: what to do when the bladder doesn't empty completely

I have a similar problem, going for cystoscopy tomorrow. I am pretty anxious as I don't know what they will find. Good luck with your situation. I will post a new thread on the results tomorrow.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2008, 05:03 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Momof2sons HB User
Re: what to do when the bladder doesn't empty completely

grandmasue,

That would be called a "Neurogenic bladder", Where your bladder cannot contract hard enough to empty your bladder. That can be caused by having pelvic surgery, problems with the nerves to the bladder malfunctioning, damaged due to pressure on the spine from a back injury, or a neuro transmission problems among other things...

I have a neurogenic bladder which my bladder doesn't contract at all. Basicaly my bladder is "dead" and I have been self cathing for almost 11 years now. My bladder never regained function after having a hysterectomy with bladder sling surgery when I was 33.

What are the circumstances surounding the issues your having? Was it a gradule or sudden? What type of testing was done to find out your bladder was "stretched"? The fact your bladder is "stretched" sounds like your bladder hasn't been contracting hard enough for some time which means it was "overfull" on a regular basis causing it to stretch IN MY OPINON of course. Have you ever had pelvic surgery, or a lower back injury, or head injury that could be a link as to the beginings to your problems?

It might be a good idea to get a copy of the report from your testing as well as from the Urologist. It doesn't sound like he did much explaining to you, and "I" believe the fact this is OUR bodies, it's important for US to know what is wrong. I have multipul medical issues and most were just discovered within the last year and a half, I've learned that knowing and understanding what we may have going on with us makes us the best advocates for ourselves in our medical care. Unfortunantly gone are the days when ALL doctors do the right thing, and we have to "watch our backs" sort a speak, and educate ourselves on what ever medical issues we may have. "I" believe this is the only way we can be sure we are getting the BEST medical care we ALL diserve! Just MY opinion of course.

I do wish you the best, and please let us know how you make out.
Take care, and God bless.
Annette

Closed Thread