It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
(male)

chevmal283 HB User
Lumbar Fusion--the bladder problem/question...What meds and why happening

I have yet to be told that I have Arach; but it is suspected. It would sure explain much of my symptoms and suffering.

Soon after double fusion lumbar surgery, began to have bladder/bowel issues.

Years and years of suffering with the sudden urge to pee, but pushing hard to pee. Up to 36x in 24 hour period presently.

I've been to Urologist, but he gave me sample meds to stop peeing during the night. What I need is meds or something that makes me empty my bladder so I don't have to pee all the time. It's nightmare. Pulling over to the side of the a freeway to pee in the bushes many times over is....

Anyway, I'm told that lumbar fusion wouldn't cause this problem. Neither would neck fusion. I don't get it.

So what meds are you prescribed to make you pee?

And what have you been told is the cause of your bladder problem?

Old 08-21-2008, 04:52 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

mznell HB User
Re: Lumbar Fusion--the bladder problem/question...What meds and why happening

Hello ~

Could you provide a couple more details? At what levels was your fusion? Did you have emergency surgery due to bladder involvement? Did you even have bladder involvement prior to surgery, or did this come on after your surgery. When did it start in relation to your surgery?

Thanks. I'm sure someone will have some thoughts for you soon.

xx MM

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

sandim HB User

Hi,
Do you have any other symptoms, or did you post your surgery? I am asking since bladder and bowel problems are red flag symptoms of Cauda Equina Syndrome as well.
I developed Cauda Equina Syndrome post my L4-5 fusion, which went untreated for 17 months, and resulted in my having to have a revision/salvage 2nd surgery to try to decompress the nerve roots, and central canal stenosis that wasn't fixed during the first surgery....
Also, you need another consult with a different urologist. If yours told you that the problems you are having don't result from back surgery, he has no idea what the heck he's talking about.....Mine knew that I had CES the first visit. I do have to intermittent self cath in order to empty my bladder so I don't have unexpected accidents, but at the same time, there is some peace of mind that comes from knowing that I can go out and not worry about embarrassing myself in public, at least from that little problem.
Sandi M

Old 08-21-2008, 11:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: Lumbar Fusion--the bladder problem/question...What meds and why happening

Originally, my Dr. thought I had CES...but later realized that I have Arach. I take Flomax to help me go to the restroom and I also do a self cath. to train my bladder to completly empty. I make sure i go and sit on the toilet, every 3-4 hrs. and with all that, I finally have my bladder trained to empty when I go and I do not get up at night too often now.

BTW, I have had 2 lumbar fusions, and they believe that is what caused my Arach., so I believe that a fusion could lead to having this disorder. The way that we figured that my problem was neurogenic (meaning due to nerve damage) was the Urologist did several tests, including an ultrasound and a test to measure how much liquids go in me, before I feel like I have to go. These tests were to check to see if I had problems with kidney/renal failure. When those came back to be just fine, the only thing left was due to nerves. Have you had these type of tests? I would highly recommend seing a Neurologist. Once we figured out what was wrong, my surgeon referred me to one and told me to make sure that I do not see a neurosurgeon...but a Neurologist.

I hope somthing in this has helped you.

Lorie

Old 08-22-2008, 07:02 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

tmv30 HB User

I had problems going to the bathroomas you foster i dont know how much i would drink before i had to go and now after they ddi my anterior/posterior fusion i use it like 2 or 3 times an hour and when i get up it leakes out more. They have found blood in my urine and my pre op so i dont knw if this is intirely from the surgery. I am getttin results next week from IVP and renal ultrasound. I had a hhysterectomy 2 years ago and i know your bladder can fall after that and they have to go in and tack it up so i am hopeing that is it.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:29 PM   #6
(male)

chevmal283 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfoster21 View Post
Originally, my Dr. thought I had CES...but later realized that I have Arach. I take Flomax to help me go to the restroom and I also do a self cath. to train my bladder to completly empty. I make sure i go and sit on the toilet, every 3-4 hrs. and with all that, I finally have my bladder trained to empty when I go and I do not get up at night too often now.

BTW, I have had 2 lumbar fusions, and they believe that is what caused my Arach., so I believe that a fusion could lead to having this disorder. The way that we figured that my problem was neurogenic (meaning due to nerve damage) was the Urologist did several tests, including an ultrasound and a test to measure how much liquids go in me, before I feel like I have to go. These tests were to check to see if I had problems with kidney/renal failure. When those came back to be just fine, the only thing left was due to nerves. Have you had these type of tests? I would highly recommend seing a Neurologist. Once we figured out what was wrong, my surgeon referred me to one and told me to make sure that I do not see a neurosurgeon...but a Neurologist.

I hope somthing in this has helped you.

Lorie
I'm glad you wrote. I forgot that you told me about Flomax. I'm being sent to new Urologist. I went to a neurologist, gave him a summary of decade history, and spoke of Arach. He reads results of recent MRIs. He says, yes there is scar tissue in Lumbar and cervical, but whether or not you have Arch, I can't say. Said something about other test that he figured I have had in past; yet, I don't recall these procedures, nor can I relate them to you for I can't remember well enough of what he said. I see him again tomorrow. I am going to write down what the exact procedures.

When he said I don't believe the lumbar fusion has anything to do with bladder problems (and for bowels he said medication, anyway)--well, I have heard this before from others...heard not so from others, but they weren't a doctor of mine, but doctors none the less.

I have read that stenosis, even in the cervical area, can cause bladder dysfunction.

I begun using lyrica to see if helps with the pins and needles and numbness/paralysis.

I was very happy to see ya wrote here in this thread. I had you in mind when started it.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:21 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: Lumbar Fusion--the bladder problem/question...What meds and why happening

Please let me know what the Neurologist says about the other tests. I am curious about what he thinks. My PM doctor said the same thing about not being able to take the bowel problem into consideration...being that the problem could be from the meds or the inactivity level. It is frustrating, since it is also a symptom of Aach. or CES. Anyway, I understand how nice it is to talk with someone who has gone through the same things that you are going through. I will always be here to share my support on this subject. There are many who can relate to the many spine problems, but few that have Arach. or CES. I remember how thrilled I was, when I heard back from someone with Arac. I felt like there was finally someone who knew what I was going through. REMOVE so let me know if you are interested in that.

Lorie

Last edited by Mod08; 08-25-2008 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Do not promote other groups/forums.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:47 PM   #8
(male)

chevmal283 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandim View Post
Hi,
Do you have any other symptoms, or did you post your surgery? I am asking since bladder and bowel problems are red flag symptoms of Cauda Equina Syndrome as well.
I developed Cauda Equina Syndrome post my L4-5 fusion, which went untreated for 17 months, and resulted in my having to have a revision/salvage 2nd surgery to try to decompress the nerve roots, and central canal stenosis that wasn't fixed during the first surgery....
Also, you need another consult with a different urologist. If yours told you that the problems you are having don't result from back surgery, he has no idea what the heck he's talking about.....Mine knew that I had CES the first visit. I do have to intermittent self cath in order to empty my bladder so I don't have unexpected accidents, but at the same time, there is some peace of mind that comes from knowing that I can go out and not worry about embarrassing myself in public, at least from that little problem.
Sandi M
Gonna make this brief...computer at home on fritz for quite awhile, which explains why I have not posted consitantly with each tread...when I'm at a better computer will post more...

I was told three or four years ago that (retired ortho surgeon/chiro team working with new tech at time..decompression machine that is now outdated and thus they are no longer in bizz read my then MRIs and told me that not good, infact bad, and really need to be concerned about CES)...too late I told him because I all ready pee myself here and there...anyway, last year told no way I have it only really occurs in thoracic...

I'm going to new Urologist with info learned here.
Saw neuro today. He not convinced Arach. Going to order yet another MRI but only of lumbar (I was told today that I was wrong that MRI report of cervical does not state that their is scaring).
He was going order something called mylo something (didn't write it down like I told myself to do) with CT where they move your spine around to see what is going on in there. He changed his mind and decided on just regular MRI.

The bowel/bladder problems began 8 years ago after the double fusion.

Interesting that I read article in spine mag in neuro's office that said something to the affect that EMGs do not serve as great indicators of what is going on with the nerve sys but is treated as it is the gold standard. Irony there I think.

This wasn't so brief.

Closed Thread