It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2008, 10:38 AM   #1
(female)

FM2008 HB User
What is going on with my bladder?

I noticed about 6 months or so ago that I had a "heaviness" in the bladder area, accompanied by a feeling of fullness and dull pressure but without burning or frequent urination. I figured I probably had a UTI so I went to the doctor, he did a UA (negative), gave me antibiotics, and sent the UA off to the lab for cultures (negative). Within two days of going to see him I started my very, very infrequent period. After my period was over the bladder symptoms were too.

In the meantime I went to see my OB-GYN because I have PCOS and my DH & I are hoping to have kids soon. She started me on some medication to regulate my cycle and the next month I had the same heavy/full/dull pressure feeling. She did an US, biopsy and many blood tests and pronounced my uterus ok. She said the pressure may come from the uterus thickening and pushing down on the bladder prior to my period.

I discontinued the medications 3 months ago because they were making me ill and haven't had a period since. About a week or two ago the pressue/heaviness/dull aching started again.

When I went to see my other general doc originally he said that it may be IC (interstitial cystitis). I've read in my FMS literature that IC may go with it for some people, just like IBS does for some.

I have had a new symptom this time...spasms. I feel my urethra spasaming if that makes any sense. It is very uncomfortable and "knife-like".

Since I don't have frequent urination or burning I'm reluctant to go see my doctor for a UA because I really don't think it is an UTI.

Any advice is appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2008, 10:43 AM   #2
(female)

shrtcak81 HB User
Re: What is going on with my bladder?

Hi there! I too am having problems with my bladder. I'm having pressure/fullness, frequent urination, and burning. I also experience stabbing-like pain here and there. I think what I have is IC. I'm actually going to the urologist today. It sounds like you may have IC....you don't have to have all the symptoms to have it. It's not very fun having fibro because other things seems to pop up with it too.

Crystal

Old 09-04-2008, 11:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

I would tend to agree with your GYN since the meds from her did help but you quit taking it and symptoms came back? this is not a Fibro thing...it is a female thing.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:04 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Paddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB User

FM2008 - hi. I would have to agree with Ann. I read your post several times, and I realized you said that your periods are or have been "very infrequent". And the heaviness, sometimes pain, fullness and pressure, and all indicative of your period arriving. Perhaps you have not really had a very heavy period to date, and these feelings are here now because you are starting to get heavier, and therefore more "normal" periods. I certainly felt all those things before mine for many years, plus a rousing headache. The lack of burning and urgency probably means the bladder is not involved IMHO.
So - good news or bad news - I'm not sure which it is, but I think you are now working up to having regular periods. Can you re-visit your OB/GYN about finding a way to tolerate the meds she put you on (the ones that made you sick)? That may solve the whole problem for you. Keep us posted how you are doing.
Wishing you peace and comfort,
Paddy

Old 09-04-2008, 08:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Interstitial Cystitis is a common problem with FMS. What can happen in fibromyalgics is calcium and phosphate don't join together and crystallize inside cells. Instead, the two substances coexist in solution. This is the effect you seen when you drop salt in water: It immediately enters into solution, though the sodium and the chloride are still there. As long as they're sufficiently diluted, they won't form particles. Phosphates leave the kidney in a dissolved state, but things change in the bladder, which is a reservoir that holds our liquid waste until sufficient volume needs to be voided. While waiting in the bladder, phosphate solidifies in combination with calcium, oxalate, or magnesium. The weight of these microscopic crystals cause them to sink to the base of the bladder and settle around the opening of the uretha. On urination, these particles are swept out and, like liquid sandpaper, abrade the delicate lining, the mucosa. If the scraping effect is sufficiently injurious, the integrity of the membrane is compromised and, once broken, allows bacterial penetration. The five most common dietary triggers for painful attacks are: cranberry juice (very acidic), coffee, carbonated beverages, tomatoes, and tobacco. Vitamin C supplements can be a problem because of their acidic composition - even the buffered form. Car and airplane rides are notorious triggers, so Prelief (an OTC) may be taken as a preventative measure. Stretching and excercise may also prove to be helpful in the long run.

Kirstee

Old 09-05-2008, 06:13 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Paddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB User

Oh my gosh Kristee! I am glad to finally understand IC, at least how it gets started. Why does my sister think that drinking cranberry juice is good for UTI?? It's very acidic.
Anyway, thanks for the explanation. Learned something new today.
Wishing you peace and comfort,
Paddy

Old 09-05-2008, 03:45 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Hi Paddy:

For a standard bladder infection, cranberry juice works well. But with IC, the bladder is very inflamed and the cranberry juice, with its acidic state, will irritate the bladder further. It can take awhile for IC to abate, and with some people it is quite a long time. I've had to endure bouts of about 3-4 months at a time. Of all the symptoms of FMS I have endured, this is one of the worst.

Bye!
Kirstee

Old 09-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #8
(female)

Lost Robin HB User

This is all very interesting. I have had bladder problems over the past several months that come and go, however, I suspected my problems were caused by a completely different trigger. I have had the pressure everyone here talks about along with frequency. However, I finally realized that these symptoms seem to pop up whenever I eat too much sugar and, therefore, have been concerned that I am developing (or already have) diabetis type II.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Robin

Old 09-07-2008, 02:59 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

DeBeachSiren HB User

Hi,

It's probably a trigger point. Try lying on your belly and putting a tennis ball above your pelvic bone and rocking side to side. It hurts, but I can usually break up the trigger point. Also fibro people don't tend to be able to completely empty our bladders. Scented laundry soaps, fabric softeners, etc. can cause bladder spasms as well as scented bubblebath. Yeasts can grow in the bladder, colon and the who-ha. You might try cutting down on your sugar and wheat intake. Also I was told that yeast doesn't always die in the laundry and to iron the crotch of the panties. Wierd???? It works.

Please, I can't stress this enough.........if you are having this go on for months please see a urologist. I had the problem and put up with it thinking that it's just a fibro thing, it ended up to be a cancer cyst inside there. I only have to be scoped once a year now. Thank goodness, I hated doing that quarterly.

Good luck kiddo.

AnneBoleyn

Old 09-07-2008, 05:00 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

To Lost Robin:

Many FMS victims have hypoglycemia. If you have this condition (which could be very likely), you may be experiencing another icky symptom known as yeast overload. I'm not sure how yeast can affect the bladder, but I somehow think that it does. I do much better on all accounts (poop and pee), when I lay off sugar and complex carbohydrates. If you find this to be true for yourself, then you have a great way of avoiding unpleasant symptoms!

Bye!
Kirstee

Closed Thread