It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2008, 10:57 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Kertie446 HB User
20 year old with bladder problem

I have had a UTI three weeks ago that has cleared up according to the dipstick tests of my urine sample but now I still have exactly the same symptoms as when I had the UTI as if the infection is still there even though it isn't.

The symptoms I have are: Excessive urinating (daytime and night time) and the constant 'urge' to go even if I've just been. I don't get much relief at all after going and after going I have to go again about 20 minutes or so after. It's as if my kidneys are making more urine then they should or something.

I've been to the doctors with it and they tested for thyroid (ADH) problems and diabetes but they all came back 'normal' and now I don't know what is wrong. I've just had an ultrasound which they haven't told me the results - I've got to wait for six weeks for the results! This is too long to wait as I'm getting fed up as I can't even sleep as I keep having to go at night too.

I have been taking tablets called Vesicare (Solifenacin Succinate) to try and 'calm' the bladder down but so far I'm getting no relief.

Could you recommend any other tests i.e. hormonal, etc, that may be of help as I really don't know what to do anymore. I've had it now for three weeks, nearly a month but it feels like months.

Is there any other 'treatments' or tablets that may help ease this problem? My doctors don't know what is wrong with me so they are just guessing and haven't discussed much with me.

Thanks for your time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
(female)

tamark001 HB User
Re: 20 year old with bladder problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niad View Post
I have had a UTI three weeks ago that has cleared up according to the dipstick tests of my urine sample but now I still have exactly the same symptoms as when I had the UTI as if the infection is still there even though it isn't.

The symptoms I have are: Excessive urinating (daytime and night time) and the constant 'urge' to go even if I've just been. I don't get much relief at all after going and after going I have to go again about 20 minutes or so after. It's as if my kidneys are making more urine then they should or something.

I've been to the doctors with it and they tested for thyroid (ADH) problems and diabetes but they all came back 'normal' and now I don't know what is wrong. I've just had an ultrasound which they haven't told me the results - I've got to wait for six weeks for the results! This is too long to wait as I'm getting fed up as I can't even sleep as I keep having to go at night too.

I have been taking tablets called Vesicare (Solifenacin Succinate) to try and 'calm' the bladder down but so far I'm getting no relief.

Could you recommend any other tests i.e. hormonal, etc, that may be of help as I really don't know what to do anymore. I've had it now for three weeks, nearly a month but it feels like months.

Is there any other 'treatments' or tablets that may help ease this problem? My doctors don't know what is wrong with me so they are just guessing and haven't discussed much with me.

Thanks for your time.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
(female)

tamark001 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niad View Post

My Daughter is 21 and having the same problems. We have been going thru this for 8 months now. The Urologist tells her that she has Interstitial Cystitis. (SP). The only thing that has given her relief is a long term Antiobiotic called Mycrobid and her taking Baking Soda Shots. I know that sounds crazy but the baking soda seems to calm the bladder. She has tired everything, Elimiron, Bladder Urgency pills, Anti Depressants, and nothing has helped her so far.

She is now on the antibiotic again and taking pain pills that help her sleep at night. If she didn't take them she wouldn't get any sleep. As you can tell we are very discouraged. You should go to a good urologist, don't just settle for anything, make them run test on you. Hopefully you just have a UTI that is very hard to get rid of. Thats what we keep hoping for. I think the Doctors jump at this disease when they don't know what else it is. I don't trust many doctors after the experience we have been thru over the last 8 months. Talk to some people you know and ask if they know of a good Doctor. Word of mouth is the best way to go.

Good luck to you. I will be praying that this isn't what you have.

Thanks for your time.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:28 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Kertie446 HB User

????

My doc says 'there's nothing they can do now' as they don't really know what it is?

I thought docs were doctors? Do they know about bladders? Conditions relating to bladders?

Old 09-24-2008, 11:31 AM   #5
(female)

tamark001 HB User

Doctors can be stupid when they say they don't know what to do. We went back to the Dr. today and they told us that they want to do a Urodynamics test on Jenny. She went to the bathroom and still had over 100ml of urine left in her bladder. We have been to 4 different Doctors. Don't give up. You just have to fine one that is willing to listen to you. Don't get scared about IC either. That is the first thing they say when the don't know what else it could be. If you live in Dallas I can give you my Doctors name.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:34 AM   #6
(female)

tamark001 HB User

I would also call the Dr's office and tell them you cant wait 6 weeks for the results of your ultrasound. We got the results within a few days. Tell the Dr. to give you another antibiotic and maybe a muscle relaxer. Have you gone to a urologist or just your regular MD.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:35 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Kertie446 HB User

Thanks for your advice, tamark001.

I live in the UK.

I can't change doctors easily as here in the UK there is so much hassle involved in changing. I've got about four different doctors in the surgery I go to but non of them have a clue what's wrong with me, they're just guessing. I found two of them a little rude. The one said I had seen her too much and said I'd got something wrong in my head which I found not very nice at all and the other one said to 'go away and see what it's like in a month's time', again not very helpful or nice to me. I'm fed up with doctors. They are paid too much for guessing all the time. I know they're only human but they trained in a profession that is supposed to help people not undermine them.

They have'nt even referred me to a urologist either. They are waiting to 'see what happens' after a month of this problem now.

The ultrasound came back and apparently nothing is 'wrong' on there. I don't trust any of these doctors, particularly the one as he dismissed my spine problem for three years until now and now a surgeon and radiologists have found out I have got a problem. I just don't trust doctors anymore. They lie all the time and hide things from me.

I'm on a medicine called Vesicare which is for frequent urination and apparently is supposed to help calm it down but I'm still weeing way too much at night. Last night I still had to get up to go to the toilet about three times and needing a wee a couple of hours after that but I did'nt bother to get up and go as I was fed up of it and too tired to go.

The doctors have said 'if Vesicare doesn't help you we've got nothing else and you'll have to live with it until it calms down' which I find, again totally demorilising and unhelpful.

I've heard of people with problems like mine having to have a cystoscopy. I hope to be put to sleep for that one if I have to have it. Is there any other tests that aren't as invasive and uncomfortable as this?

Once again, thanks for your help and advice, tamark001.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:24 AM   #8
(female)

tamark001 HB User

Jenny has had the same problems for month. After treating her for 8 months for Interstitial Cyctitis and having her on medication for it with no help. We have been just about to go crazy with all of this. They have now determined to run more test. Duh. She had a urodynamics test done yesterday. That determines how her bladder is functioning. The test took about 1 hour. She feels like she can't empty her bladder completly. She will go and feel like she can't urinate, only a few drops will come out and then have to keep going back to the bathroom. I don't think they can determine what is wrong with you unless they are willing to run test to see. I think a Cysto should be done and also they Urodynamics test. I'm so sorry your Doctor is trying to make you feel like you are crazy. Doctors are so insensitive and non caring. I think you need to have more test done. If the antibiotic didnt clear it up then evidentally its something else that needs to be checked out. I would insist that they refer you to a urologist. I wouldn't deal with them anymore. They sound like a bunch of idiots to me.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:23 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Kertie446 HB User

Thanks for your advice, tamark001.

I have gone back to a different doctor in that surgery and asked him directly to refer me to urogynaecologist. I've just got to wait for an appointment now.

Also, is it possible I can request to be put to sleep for a cysto as I've heard they can be very unpleasant? My bladder is very sensitive at the moment and I don't like the idea of it hurting me.

I'd also like to ask, what is a urodynamics test? What sort of things are involved?

Thanks again for your help, tamark001.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:55 PM   #10
(female)

tamark001 HB User

I hope the advise helps you. I ask the nurse exactly what a urogynaecologist is and she said that he knows about everything from the waist down. I would request that they put you to sleep if you are afraid of the pain. My daughter tried to have one done and it was so painful for her the Dr. couldn't finish. They did put her to sleep to do one. The urydynamics test it done with a catheter and a machine that they had her hooked up to. They test the function of the bladder and many other things that we don't understand yet. The Dr. is suppose to get with us with the results next week. They made her do different things and it took about 45 minutes to 1 hour. She said it didnt hurt like she thought it would. She came out with a smile this time instead of a tear. He has her taking Valium 2mg 2 times per day to calm her bladder. Its has seemed to help her more than anything. We have been thru so much we are willing to try anything at this point. I hope you get some answers. Try not to worry cuz worry makes things worse. . I'm sorry you are going thru this. Don't get to discouraged and keep asking questions. I have read alot of information on the internet. Look for home remedies for UTI's. There are alot of helpful hits that Jenny has tried. They had one listed with baking soda and that seemed to help her with the pain and burning. I would ask the Doctor first before trying anything. We did ask the Dr. for her and she said if it helped to try it. Anyway, good luck and keep us posted on your health.

Last edited by tamark001; 10-07-2008 at 03:58 PM.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:21 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Kertie446 HB User

Thanks for sharing you and your daughter's experience. I really have appreciated it.

When I get my appointment to see this urogynaecologist and if he says I need a cysto, I will request I be put to sleep as I feel my bladder will be too sensitive to have it done awake.

Thanks also for the advice on the Valium. If the medication I'm on now doesn't completely help, I'll ask the urogynaecologist about the Valium as my doctor I saw yesterday said he still thinks my bladder is spasming but isn't completely sure. He has told me to take a bigger dose of this Medication called Vesicare.

I told him that I reckon the UTI I had was probably a coincidence as I've had a bit of a problem with frequent urinating but without the urge sensation since May on and off. It's since I've had the UTI it's been worse, including urge sensation. The infection must've just made it worse now and it won't completely settle down.

My mom also reckons I could have scar tissue formed from having the UTI but I would've thought that would've showed up on the ultrasound that I had. Though I do think this is a possibility. She also reckons if it's not that that it may be that my womb lining has probably started to grow onto my bladder. I have noticed that my bladder has been worse at my menstrual time.

The baking soda remedy sounds good. I am currently taking one cranberry suplement a day to help prevent the UTI from reoccuring.

Thanks for being there when I needed help and I hope your daughter gets better soon. I'll let you know what happens when I see the urogynaecologist.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:25 AM   #12
(female)

tamark001 HB User

I found out that when a UTI is bad enough it can cause bladder inflamation. I think it takes a long time to clear the inflamation completly. That may be what you are going thru. Jenny took Vesicare too but she didn't get any relief from it. She took an antibiotic called Microbid and that seemed to help her too. Just a few extra things that might help. Good luck to you and keep me posted on your progress. I will let you know next week after we talk to the Dr. about the test they did.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:28 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Kertie446 HB User

Thanks for your help, tamark001.

I had my urine cultured and apparently the infection has gone - it came back clear and also on the dip stick tests it was clear. It is possible I've got inflammation but I don't know - I need more tests and to hopefully get an appointment to see a urogynaecologist to find out an exact diagnosis as the doctors haven't got any idea of what it is as they haven't done any other tests apart from urine samples and blood tests.

The one doctor did ask if I'd had a swab test, I don't know why. Maybe he thought of doing one? But he didn't bother after. Perhaps he's going to ask the urogynaecologist to do one on the referral letter he's sending?

I've had this bladder problem since May this year on and off but without the urge sensation, just frequency and am now coming to a conclusion of the fact the infection is just a coincidence in being found. Is it possible to have an infection for months without urge or burning sensations before finding out? I'm just interested in this theory as it is also possible.

I'm wondering if there is anything to take that would help with the inflammation as my doctor said that there is nothing that will help it, it will just go with time. He said it'll take a couple of weeks - it's been a month or so now. I have heard that inflammation after infections can take months to completely go better.

Also could this bladder problem be in connection to something to do with my menstruation and those parts of the body?

Thanks for your support, I've really appreciated it as you've been a lot more helpful than any doctor I've seen so far.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:27 PM   #14
(female)

tetianainto HB User

Hi, I've had bladder issues the last few months too.

My cultures came out clear, but they did find some wbc that showed that something is going on, but not sure what.

I took Macrobid (sp?) and it cleared up somewhat, but not entirely. I don't have an urge to go all the time, just a wierd burning sensation when I pee and it linger afterwards and feels uncomfortable.

I am 43 so older than you. I cut coffee which has helped. I can confirm for you that my doc also said that irritated bladder can take a while to get back to normal. She said coffee is one of the worst culprits for this. Anyways, as long as it's improving, I am going to try and be optimistic.

I got a bunch of vag swab tests done, just to eliminate the possibility that it is something vag. The symptoms can feel similar. It is really hard to tell what is going on down there.

PS yes, it's possible to have an uti without symptoms.

PPS if you are taking cranberry juice - my doc says to drink the real stuff (not from concentrate) to flush out the bacteria. It is acidic so it could also irritate the bladder, too.

best, c

Old 10-12-2008, 08:32 PM   #15
(female)

Duckydetective9 HB User
Lightbulb Re: 20 year old with bladder problem

My Daughter is 21 and having the same problems. We have been going thru this for 8 months now. The Urologist tells her that she has Interstitial Cystitis. (SP). The only thing that has given her relief is a long term Antiobiotic called Mycrobid and her taking Baking Soda Shots. I know that sounds crazy but the baking soda seems to calm the bladder. She has tired everything, Elimiron, Bladder Urgency pills, Anti Depressants, and nothing has helped her so far.

Hi,
I too have interstitial Cystitis, for about a year now. My gynecologist had me on Uricrit and Atarax, but neither seemed to be doing much, so she took me off the latter and has prescribed Elmiron instead. I'm hesitant to take Elmiron because of the side effects, esp. possible liver damage. Did your daughter have any side effects?
But what is Mycrobid? I have never heard of it.
You also mentioned a urologist - do you feel they are more knowledgeable/ideal vs. a gynecologist?
And, by Baking soda shots, do you mean mixing Baking soda with water?

Thanks,

DuckyD.

Last edited by Duckydetective9; 10-12-2008 at 08:33 PM.

Closed Thread