It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
(male)

GB888 HB User
Possible sudden bladder issue

I'm 42. Male. A few days ago I developed an urge to urinate more often than usual. I believe previously I would urinate maybe 2-3 times a day. I think that is normal. But for the past few days it's been maybe 7-9 times a day. One day it would be less than 7x.

As usual, first thing in the morning it would be the largest volume. Not abnormal. But then an hour to two later I would feel the urge. But it would be a very small volume. Like I had a little left over. I would get these feelings periodically. Usually in the afternoon and evening.

Could I have an infection? If so I hope it will just disappear in time.

Also, not too long ago, I was heading home with a friend. I really had to go. Neglected to make a pit stop before heading into the car. So to avoid embarassment I did what I could to hold it. Felt like I was going to burst. Managed to hold it till I got home. The ride home was roughly 30 minutes. Did this once in 2006. Held it for roughly 30-40 minutes. Also felt like I was going to bust any minute.

Don't know if I might have "stretched" my bladder? If that's possible. Creating "pockets". Which might be holding extra urine? Layman's guess.

Ideas? Solutions? I did read about some medication that would help. In the thread about the "20 year old with a bladder problem". Would like to avoid medication. But if I do need it is this over the counter? Or only available through your family doctor?

Thanks.

Last edited by GB888; 10-13-2008 at 02:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2008, 11:03 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Kertie446 HB User
Re: Possible sudden bladder issue

Hi, GB888.

I had similar symptoms as you have and went straight away to my doctor as I knew something was wrong and had a urine sample cultured and it came back as a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection) so it is possible that you may have an infection but there are other things it could be too. I would recommend seeing your doctor to have some tests done.

The medications I had were prescribed by my GP so I'm not sure if you may be able to get them over the counter.

My symptoms haven't completely gone. I still get urges to go and frequency is still not completely gone. I particularly notice it at night as I have to go about 2-3 times a night at the moment even on medication (Vesicare) 10 mg.

I asked my doctor for a referral to a urogynaecologist and am now awaiting the appointment to see him.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:30 PM   #3
(male)

GB888 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niad View Post
Hi, GB888.

I had similar symptoms as you have and went straight away to my doctor as I knew something was wrong and had a urine sample cultured and it came back as a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection) so it is possible that you may have an infection but there are other things it could be too. I would recommend seeing your doctor to have some tests done.

The medications I had were prescribed by my GP so I'm not sure if you may be able to get them over the counter.

My symptoms haven't completely gone. I still get urges to go and frequency is still not completely gone. I particularly notice it at night as I have to go about 2-3 times a night at the moment even on medication (Vesicare) 10 mg.

I asked my doctor for a referral to a urogynaecologist and am now awaiting the appointment to see him.
Hello Niad,

I'm hoping it's just that. A "UTI" and nothing serious. I'm presently staying in Los Angeles waiting for my new home to be built back in Toronto. Really didn't need this to happen 3 months into my stay. Again, hoping it's nothing serious and that this will just "pass". Guess I'll have to book an appointment with a my friends doctor soon.

For me this is just annoying more than anything else. It's not like I can't control it. I can sleep at night. I just happen to go a little more than usual. Well maybe much more than usual. I think urinating 2-3 times a day is normal for most people. But I go I think 4-5 times more for a total of almost 8 (on bad days). Yesterday I was able to hold it. Only had to relieve myself 3 or 4 times.

How long have you had your UTI? Can I ask how often you have to make trips?

Take care

Old 10-15-2008, 07:07 AM   #4
(female)

tetianainto HB User

Hi there,

Just thought I would pop in here. GB - how much coffee, tea are you drinking? More than usual? That would increase how much you pee.....

Also, just thought I would mention that utis aren't that common in men.....when my husband (your age) had urinary problems, it turned out to be prostatitis. There are different kinds and they are quite common for men. One of the symptoms of that is peeing more at night, which you aren't doing (which is good....). Anyways, just thought I'd mention that....You can check prostatitis on the internet and see if that offers some insight on how you are feeling.....

Also drinking cranberrry juice - the real thing, not from concentrate, is good for the urinary tract.

best, c

Old 10-15-2008, 10:32 AM   #5
(male)

GB888 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetianainto View Post
Hi there,

Just thought I would pop in here. GB - how much coffee, tea are you drinking? More than usual? That would increase how much you pee.....

Also, just thought I would mention that utis aren't that common in men.....when my husband (your age) had urinary problems, it turned out to be prostatitis. There are different kinds and they are quite common for men. One of the symptoms of that is peeing more at night, which you aren't doing (which is good....). Anyways, just thought I'd mention that....You can check prostatitis on the internet and see if that offers some insight on how you are feeling.....

Also drinking cranberrry juice - the real thing, not from concentrate, is good for the urinary tract.

best, c
Hello,

I'm also from Toronto. Small world.

Any how, I'm not drinking tea or coffee any more than usual. I doubt that would cause me to make so many more trips than usual. I think I average 7-8 trips a day. Some days less. This has only been going on for maybe 4-5 days. It's been annoying more than anything else. No pain or burning sensations...etc.

UTIs not common in men? Was hoping that would have been the cause and that some antibiotics would do the trick. Might still be. Will find out probably this afternoon as I've made an appointment with a doctor.

Finding out it was Prostatitis for your husband how was it treated? What was it like for him after they began treatment?

The friend I'm staying with here in LA was a nurse. She recommended cranberry juice. Bought some yesterday and have begun drinking it. Thanks for the recommendation and commenting.

Will post again later today after the appointment.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:39 PM   #6
(female)

tetianainto HB User

It's good to go and check this out. They will look for bacteria in urine and try and figure out what's going on. It's good that you are not in that much discomfort.....

Antibiotics were used to treat the prostatitis....it is generally treatable. I recall, though, that it took awhile for everything to settle down. His symptoms were burning, discomfort, more peeing, esp. at night, which is really a pain because you can't get a good night sleep....

Good luck at the doc.

best, c

ps. i've had some bladder problems (non-uti) lately which is why i check this board. Cutting coffee seemed to help. i miss it.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Kertie446 HB User

Hi, GB888.

Sorry I'm a bit late in posting back.

I have had frequency on and off since May but I didn't think much of it until I got worse and decided to go to my doctors on 29 August.

I have had this UTI since 28 August, went to the doctors on 29 August, got prescription for some antibiotics to take over the weekend, left urine sample to be cultured which came back the following week positive for bacteria (infection). They gave me various different types of antibiotics, thinking it hadn't cleared up but when I had another urine culture, it came back negative which meant the infection had gone! Though I still have the symptoms - Going loads (Guessing every hour maybe more sometimes) in the day and night with this constant urge even though I've been to the toilet it didn't relieve it. I didn't have the associated burning sensations when I went but just frequency and the 'urge' feeling with a bit of soreness down below.

The weekend of three-day antibiotics cleared it up but my bladder just won't settle down again so my doctor has given me some medication called Vesicare which I'm taking which is sort of helping - I'm not going as much as I used to (2-3 times at night and slightly more in the day) and the urge is now intermittent. The doctors don't exactly know what is wrong with my bladder, they are saying they 'think' but are not certain it's spasms of the bladder muscles making me think I need to go, though when I go I do have one.

I'm now going to see a urogynaecologist as I am concerned because my bladder just isn't settling after this infection I've had.

I would recommend getting urine cultured and maybe some other tests.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:35 PM   #8
(male)

GB888 HB User

Quote:
It's good to go and check this out. They will look for bacteria in urine and try and figure out what's going on. It's good that you are not in that much discomfort.....

Antibiotics were used to treat the prostatitis....it is generally treatable. I recall, though, that it took awhile for everything to settle down. His symptoms were burning, discomfort, more peeing, esp. at night, which is really a pain because you can't get a good night sleep....

Good luck at the doc.

best, c

ps. i've had some bladder problems (non-uti) lately which is why i check this board. Cutting coffee seemed to help. i miss it.
Thanks for sharing. This is so annoying. For me anyways. As there is no pain (e.g. burning sensations) when urinating. The number of times in the afternoon and evening is roughly the same. Usually I've been able to sleep through the night with no problems. Though, this morning I was awakened at around 3 AM. Arrrrrgg!!

Hope to get over this soon.

Sorry to hear you're going through this too. But if cutting coffee helps I think it's a worthwhile sacrifice. Less trips (if not no extra trips) and a good night's sleep is worth it. If it was that simple for me I'd do it. My vice is Coke.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:45 PM   #9
(male)

GB888 HB User

Hello Niad,

Sorry to hear you're still having troubles. Even though the antibiotics cleared the infection. I REALLY do not want to still have urges after taking the antibiotics. This has been such a hassle the past 5 odd days. I am able to carry on almost as "usual" but it is annoying. As I mentioned I don't experience any burning or any of the more serious symptoms. But do feel a little soreness after urinating once in a while. Ever so slight.

As I said. I will post again after the appointment this afternoon.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:26 PM   #10
(male)

GB888 HB User

Hello all,

Just came back from the doctor's office. He took my urine sample. Checked for diabetes. Blood pressure. And temperture. All fine. There was no infection in my urine. I have no diabetes (father had it...Type 2). Blood pressure and temperature is above board.

He said sometimes people manage to "detrain their bladder". Which I think I heard happens but had forgotten. That I should just retrain my muscles. And on the ride home...there was only the feeling for the first 5 minutes of the car ride. After I stopped off and took a 30 minute walk the urge complete disappeared. No urges for over 1.5 hours. A record for me.

Just the same I asked him if there was anything he could give me. As I have been suffering the past 5 odd days with these annoying urges. So he just prescribed an antibiotic specific to UTI (which I don't have as I said). Doesn't hurt to "prevent". As that is what this antibiotic does. It "prevents" and "eliminates". Cost me $38.99 USD.

And he said because I am "only 42" and didn't have bladder problems throughout the night (midnight on) for the past 5 and some odd days it's unlikely I have bladder cancer. More good news. Relief. I thought there was this possibility. Though there was also no pain in urinating or blood.

So, on with my life. And the "retraining" of my bladder. Wish you all the best in your quest for a more comfortable life. Hopefully you may all be free of this annoyance. Take care!

Old 10-16-2008, 08:18 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Kertie446 HB User

Hi, GB888.

I'm pleased to hear that you don't have anything bad.

I had been told about the fact that sometimes bladders can actually 'shrink' too and make you need to go more often. The doctor first told me that I needed to 'retrain' my bladder but it turns out I may have something more as I've still got my problem even though, apparently the infection has cleared. I've got a suspicion I could have some damage internally from this infection like scar tissue or something else. I'm hoping I haven't got bladder cancer as it is on the back of my mind.

Good luck with getting better.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:08 AM   #12
(male)

GB888 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niad View Post
Hi, GB888.

I'm pleased to hear that you don't have anything bad.

I had been told about the fact that sometimes bladders can actually 'shrink' too and make you need to go more often. The doctor first told me that I needed to 'retrain' my bladder but it turns out I may have something more as I've still got my problem even though, apparently the infection has cleared. I've got a suspicion I could have some damage internally from this infection like scar tissue or something else. I'm hoping I haven't got bladder cancer as it is on the back of my mind.

Good luck with getting better.
Hello Niad,

And thanks. I was definitely relieved to find out I didn't have a lot of potential problems (e.g. UTI, Diabetes or bladder cancer).

The doctor said it was unlikely that I might have bladder cancer because of my age. Apparently 42 is still considered "young". Because I never had my frequent trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Except yesterday morning. Do you make many trips in the middle of the night? And can I ask you roughly how old you are?

The doctor did volunteer to do a prostate exam but I took a pass on this. He didn't think it was absolutely necessary. Just another test he could have done. Again I think it's because of my age. If I was over 55 then perhaps he might have insisted.

Any how I wish you the best in your quest to find peace and comfort. I definitely do know how very annoying this can be.

Take care.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:21 PM   #13
(female)

tetianainto HB User

Hi GB -

Glad you saw doc. And that hereassured you.

However, just to let you know that urinating issues for men can be related to prostate, as well as bladder. In both cases, antibiotics can help/cure.

best, c

Old 10-16-2008, 05:20 PM   #14
(male)

GB888 HB User

Quote:
Hi GB -

Glad you saw doc. And that hereassured you.

However, just to let you know that urinating issues for men can be related to prostate, as well as bladder. In both cases, antibiotics can help/cure.

best, c
Hello,

Yes it was a real relief to know I don't have any infection, diabetes nor bladder cancer. Not did I exhibit any symptoms of "prostatitis". Even if he didn't do a prostate exam. He felt it wasn't necessary for some one my age. And as I said...I am taking antibiotics designed to eliminate and prevent infection of the urinary tract.

And since returning from the doctor's yesterday it has been a lot more comfortable. A lot less urges. And when there are faint urges (no strong feelings) I can supress them for 2.5 hours without any problems. Couldn't do this before. And there are time spans with no urges at all. Whether I'm standing (almost never felt urges) or when sitting (always felt them more strongly when seated).

My nurse friend said that this is because when seated the bladder is on it's side so it feels like there is more volume than there is. Of urine. Whereas when standing the bladder is in it's proper position.

If after a few weeks and the urges haven't disappeared completely I might consider a prostate exam. Though, as I said, I don't exhibit more than 90% of the symptoms (e.g. fever, chils, low back pain, abdominal pain, perineal pain (pelvic floor), pain and burning with urination, urinary retention (YES...but a lot less since yesterday), pain with ejaculation, pain with bowel movement...etc.).

As the doctor said. Some how I managed to "detrain" my bladder muscles. I thought it was odd that we can do this. But it does happen. Male and females.

Any how good luck every one!! I think I'll sign off here...

Old 10-17-2008, 01:16 AM   #15
(male)

GB888 HB User

Thought I would sign off but I just thought of something. Since I arrived in LA I've gained a little weight. So wearing the pants I arrived with and bought when I arrived had become tighter. Could this pressure be affecting the bladder? Would explain why the urges only appeared when I was seated 99% of the time. And that when I was standing and walking they were almost always not there. It's still the case.

If only I thought of this before heading to the doctors. I mean the doctor did feel around on my abdomen to see how full or empty my bladder was. Or I think that's what he was doing. That or looking for a growth? Shrug.

Closed Thread