It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2011, 12:49 PM   #16
(male)

Chewie31 HB User
Re: how long did it take to get bladder control after turp

Lenny, thanks for the info. It really set my mind at ease. My doctor never did tell me what to expect following TURP surgery or how long my recovery period would be. Thanks again.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:39 AM   #17
(male)

georgios HB User

Hi everybody.
I entered the TURP club one and a half week ago, and I found this forum very helpful, as to what to expect and not be over optimistic about the healing progress.

As I'm 58 and a big portion of the prostate had to be removed (I had actually a TURis operation), I understand that progress may be in the slow side.
Nevertheless I guess things are not so bad, the main issue is a mild burning sensation which is always present and gets a little worse for some time after urination.
I passed quite some blood with clots two times on the 5th day post operation, a quite sterssfull experience, but since it became gradually clear.
(I had to endure a 2 hours ride with car as a passenger, the previous day).
I try to be on a cystitis diet, I suppose this may help as it affects the same area.
Also, I avoid sitting on chairs with convex seat, I always look for a flat or even better a concave seat.
Sleeping on my side I think it hepls, sometimes with a pillow between the knees.
Hope everyboby makes good progress

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2011, 02:52 AM   #18
(male)

David2 HB User

HI,
It may be a bit late for you but I have only just read your post about your TURP op. It may be of interest to you that I am an ex Military Officer in UK, my consultant says the major cause of problems with urgency have been caused by the " Just in case syndrome" i.e Must go now just in case I need to go later and it would then be inconvenient. In my case giving orders on parade or taking morning Musters. You can retrain now by trying to hold it for a couple of times and gradually work up to holding on for an hour or so. I had my TURP back in September 2011 and have since gone through BCG/ Chemo form six weeks and am now on IMRT for another 3 weeks. So I will have to retrain myself after I have finished.
All the best for the future Keep in touch !
Regards david

Last edited by David2; 12-26-2011 at 02:55 AM. Reason: mis spelt word

Old 12-27-2011, 09:04 AM   #19
(male)

georgios HB User

Hi David, you are quite right, one has to "train" his bladder by resisting the first calls of nature. It is true that after many years of "programming" the loo visits and trying to be on an empty bladder just in case (worst senario: being blocked in traffic jam for long), I have to resist the first signs of urgency and then I discovered that I can hold more than before and the urgency doesn't peak as badly as before. I sometimes mesure the volume of the urine when at home and can I get about 350 ml, which is a great improvement over the pre operation situation.
The worst thing before op was that the fuller the bladder the worst the flow, now I feel the bladder emptying O.K.
My experience is that I saw a net improvement at the one month mark post op, now almost two months post op there is still some margin of improvement.
Wishes for health and prosperity, for the New Year.

The Following User Says Thank You to georgios For This Useful Post:
Leww (10-11-2012)
Closed Thread