It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2008, 06:25 AM   #1
(male)

chuck218 HB User
how long did it take to get bladder control after turp

Old 10-21-2008, 01:16 PM   #2
(male)

LENNYI HB UserLENNYI HB User
Re: how long did it take to get bladder control after turp

What control are you talking about - is it the dripping or leakage? It depends on the person and could take between 6 and 12 weeks. Give us some specific information like when you had the TURP done and what you are experiencing so we can give you good feedback based on our experiences.

Lenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2008, 01:31 PM   #3
(male)

chuck218 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LENNYI View Post
What control are you talking about - is it the dripping or leakage? It depends on the person and could take between 6 and 12 weeks. Give us some specific information like when you had the TURP done and what you are experiencing so we can give you good feedback based on our experiences.

Lenny
Had turp September 18th. I have to void about every hour. I'm still saw when I go. If I don't make the bathroom in time it starts coming out. I can not hold it. Also had some blood this week. How long does it take to feel normal?

Old 10-21-2008, 04:25 PM   #4
(male)

Chuck

Welcome to the TURP club. There are a lot of guys having this done. It usually takes 4 months to completely recover from the surgery based on just how much was removed. You will start getting more control of your leaking soon. make sure you don't strain or lift anything heavy! You are scabbing where the scraping was done so you have to heal and then pass the scabs. Now is the time to take it easy and just don't do anything. If you feel up to it, take a short slow walk to get your system moving and it helps ease the surgery area. You will progress slowly so don't push it. Now, don't listen to the doctors - they never had this done to them. It takes 4 months and anyone who has had this done will tell you the same. I had mine done last year in May and I had the scar tissue restrict my bladder neck and had to have the bladder neck incision done. This is not a big deal - only means a quick snip and you get the catheter out the next day and a quick recovery so if you do develop the scar tissue, don't worry about it. The real key is your age. The younger you are the longer it takes for the nerves in that area to settle down. That is what gives you frequency and urgency not to mention the discomfort. If you have any pyridium, take a little of that to help with the discomfort. I'm sure you are still burning and hurting a little. The good news is that your blockage is gone and once the swelling goes down, you will have a good strong stream!! If I can help you with any of this, just post your questions and concerns. Most guys don't go back on this board after they get over the surgery and have healed. I like to check back once in a while to see if anyone has any questions on the TURP and what to expect. I also had cancer cells found on PATH report, but my PSA is .6 after 18 months which means they probably got the tumor with the TURP. This is a scary experience and you should have all the support you want or need!

Lenny

Old 10-22-2008, 05:11 AM   #5
(male)

chuck218 HB User

Lenny, thanks for the info. I really appreciate your advice. Doctor said I could go back to the gym after 6 weeks do you recommend not to do any phyiscal exercise for a longer period of time?

Old 10-23-2008, 10:17 AM   #6
(male)

Chuck

My doctor told me I could do anything after 6 weeks, also. It all depends on how you feel and what is happening in that area. I would strongly suggest that you start off very slowly and if you can handle small amounts of exercise, then progress slowly. If you are passing blood or clots, I would tone down any heavy physical activity. It is more important that you heal properly and not that you do anything physical. Your body will tell you what you can or cannot do, but once you cross the line, you will have a setback and take longer to heal. Let your conscious be you guide and not overdo anything until you are sure you can handle it. Remember that there there will be some scar tissue and you don't want to add to it. My advice is that you proceed at a reasonable pace and keep a watch on how your body reacts to these things! Not to scare you or restrict you, be aware of these things. When you said you passed some blood, that raised a little concern that you may be overdoing something.

Lenny

Old 10-23-2008, 10:41 AM   #7
(male)

chuck218 HB User

Thanks. burning went away but I am still saw when I void. I'm on the 5th week. Doc said it has to heal. Does that sound right to you.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #8
(male)

Chuck

You're way too soon for doing anything. You shouldn't be doing any lifting or straining for 6 weeks. You have a lot of healing to do - time to slow down and let the healing take precedence. Don't get in a hurry - better to slow it down and avoid complications. I would wait till you get to the 3 month mark to start any physical activity. If you want to exercise, go for a walk and learn to relax and let time heal you. If you are sore, then it is too soon!

Lenny

Old 11-24-2008, 10:36 AM   #9
(male)

mazatec HB User

Lenny..I read your post today and am interested in what you have to say about the TURP..I've had prostate issues for about five years now; my first PSA reading was 13, but after a round of antibiotics it dropped to 8 and it's been around there consistently after my PSA tests every six months. My urologist says my prostate is moderately enlarged based on a DRE and a cystoscopy. I've noticed the past couple of months my urine stream is usually split and very weak, and have to pee three or four times in the night. Anyway, my urologist recommended a TURP and a biopsy at the same time. You said it takes about 4 months to heal; my question is, was it worth it? How does the TURP affect one's sex life? I'm 56 and still fairly active. If the procedure would let me sleep without awakening to pee, I'd be a happy camper.

Anybody else have advice? Would really appreciate it; the doctors usually tell you everything will be fine in a couple of weeks; which I doubt.
Thanks.

Steve

Old 07-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #10
(male)

HueyPilot HB User

Chuck:
I too just had TURP performed seven days ago on July 20, 2011 and I would be very interested to know how your recovery progressed through the first month and beyond. I am well researched on TURP and believe the surgery went well, and I know that I should expect a slow recovery in which I will experience uncomfortable symptoms, but nonetheless it's hard not to worry whether improvement will come soon. Does it really take several months to recover to normal urinary abilities? As for me after one week, I still pee frequently (got up five times last night), have some dribbling, unable to hold in the urine when the pressure builds up and my prostate is noticebly sore. I am 50 years old and otherwise in excellent physical form. I am a fit and very active Canadian Forces military Officer. Any advice you can provide based on your personal experience will be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:04 AM   #11
(male)

Ed G HB User

It took me about 2-1/2 months really. During this time, I was having very sudden, very strong urges to urinate. These would come on without any warning and I had to find a place to go quick like. The Oxybutane helped some, and if I stopped taking it, the problem quickly got worse. After about 2-1/2 months, I finially was able to get off the Oxybutane. Now, I only get up at night to urinate once, maybe twice a night. So I would say an answer to your question is it takes at least 4 months total, to get over the complete surgery.
Most men have the sudden urgency to go for a while before it goes away. The surger did give me some side effects that will stay with me for life. First, I now have stress incontinence, for my inner sphincter area of my bladder and my bladder wall was excessively mussle bound and my doctor had to make some cuts here. He told me it was his only choice. A cut was made with the lazer on my trigone area and my bladder neck. Now, if I sneeze hard, lift something heavy, or strain a bit to pass gas, I loose urine. Another side effect is I now also suffer from Retrograde Ejaculation. I will say though, that having the surgery was a very good decision on my part. I can now urinate like I was 18 year old man again. And have to only get up once a night now to urinate. My bladder capacity is slowly increasing and has increased from 175ml in the pre surgery times to 450ml at present time. My doctor did say, my stress incontinence would more than likely get worse instead of better. That I will probably have to go on catheters eventually. Guess I will cross that bridge when i get there. Ed

Old 07-28-2011, 08:14 AM   #12
(male)

HueyPilot HB User

Thank you for the honest and informative reply. Every little bit of knowledge I can get assists me to put my own situation into context. Comparing notes with others helps. I just wish the Urologist would have pointed me towards a support group or message board - such as this one - before and after surgery since I'm sure he would know that all patients require some counselling, even if from peers. It would also be nice to chat with others who have the same urologist. As for me, I haven't yet met with my family doctor (well, the Base Surgeon as we call them in military circles) to read the surgery report. Based on what he told me in the hospital, I don't believe he had to make any incisions to relieve the muscles and I don't know the details yet about what really was cut away or how much. Right now after 8 days my two concerns - which might be typical for us all at this early stage - are dribbling with some leakage (stress incontinence) when I cough/sneeze/shout and a tender prostate that's stiff and sore, especially when I sit on a firm chair. What are the chances that the surgeon nicked the urethral sphincter? Anyway, my research suggests these are normal symptoms and this procedure usually results in things being worse before they get better. Cheers,

Old 07-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #13
(male)

Ed G HB User

With the research Ive been doing, Its apparent that when you get a TURP procedure done, theres a very good chance of loosing 2 of the 3 urinary control valves. I only thought there was the inner sphincter and the outer sphincter, but the 3rd valve, is the one at the top of the prostate that seals off the semen during ejaculation, keeping it from going into the bladder. The chances of loosing this function is just about 100%. Because of my severe mussel bound bladder and bladder sphincter, my doctor had to deal with this area with cutting with the lazer. So I have lost these two functions. I now only have my outer sphincter, and its in a weak state. I suffer from stress incontinence now from sneezing, lifting and straining to pass gas. My doctor told me this would probably get worse with time instead of better and eventually will have to be put on catheters. Ed.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #14
(male)

SebastianS HB User

It will be two weeks tomorrow since the laser turp, and I've had no dripping or incontinance, but when I gotta go, I gotta go. There is a real sense of urgency to it, but I do make it down the hall to the restroom. I go every 40 minutes to 1 hour during the day, and maybe twice at night, but I also limit my fluid intake 2 hours prior to bed. I take in no caffine, and I am on Uribel and Rapaflow. I started back to work after 1 week, but I do no lifting and I only work at my desk for half days and then go home and get off my feet and rest.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:54 AM   #15
(male)

David2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck218 View Post
Hi Chuk, I too am a newbie and as yet have not posted, I had a TURP as part of a programme for bladder and prostrate Cancer and had this procedure about 4 weeks ago. I am now finding that I pass water like a Horse !! and the sensation of straining has gone completely, I did find that I had an ache for a while and now find it only in the background after I pee. This is my first procedure following, Hormone treatment, Blue light cystoscopy, and template Biopsy. I am now to undergo 5 Weeks BCG treatment and 5 weeks Radio therapy. Followed by Brachy Therapy. But as far as the turp goes dont worry you will be fine in 4-5 weeks max

Closed Thread