It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2008, 05:08 PM   #1
(female)

missmel1 HB User
Found ovarian cyst while bladder CT scan

Can anybody give me info on bladder lesions or polyps, a 3.1 cm cyst on right ovary? I am postmenopausal. Also, just put on thyroid med for hypothyroid just diagnoised. Also anemic which doctor has never solved.
Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2008, 06:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: Found ovarian cyst while bladder CT scan

Hello Missme1

Although I cannot address the lesions on your bladder, I CAN tell you that ovarian cysts are EXTREMELY common, even in postmenopausal women. As a matter of fact, they now believe that the rate of postmenopausal women that develop cysts on their ovaries is something between 15 and 20%, which is enormous. Did they tell you what type of ovarian cyst you have ? Is it a simple cyst which is only filled with fluid and has thin walls ? or a complex cyst with more solid components ? Simple cysts are very rarely dangerous and although complex cysts are also almost always benign, they normally want to do a biopsy on these, just to be absolutely sure (due to the solid components). Often what they do is to wait and see if the cyst disappears but since you are postmenopausal, they may want to remove it (ie. since normally postmenopausal women do not develop follicles on their ovaries .. although as I just mentioned, this version of events is slowly changing ..).

I would recommend that you read the radiologist's report to see what type of cyst you have and what he or she thinks. Radiologists are extremely good at knowing what is dangerous and what is not by a cyst's appearance on an ultrasound. This will tell you whether or not you should simply watch it or have it removed.

I hope this helps a little. Take care and try not to worry about this. Most often these cysts are completely harmless. Just to give you my story, I am a premenopausal woman, age 42, with a simple ovarian cyst that is 8 cm .. I have had it for over a year now and I go for regular ultrasounds to keep an eye on it .. it has grown very little over this time but at my last ultrasound the radiologist saw a very tiny calcification which he said often happens with cysts that have been present for a long time .. although I am concerned, I am willing to trust my doctors, who have all said that this is a harmless mucinous cyst.

All the best.

Estria

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2008, 05:38 PM   #3
(female)

missmel1 HB User

Thank you for the reply. I'm in the middle of several test...MRI, Bladder biospy scheduled on 2 lesions/polyps, and no verdict on the cyst. I've called, gyno doctor out...nurse said come in later in the month and he would talk to me about it..?

Thanks again.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

This must be a very stressful time for you. Try to keep yourself busy in the meantime as the waiting can really drive you crazy. Just remember that our bodies are not the textbook perfect examples that they show in medical school and all of us have small deviations (cysts, polyps, growths and certain lab tests that score outside of the "normal" range). My husband, who is a doctor, is always telling me that by the age of 40, we all have some "deviation" in our body of some sort which causes more worry than anything else. With today's scanning equipment we end up finding these things often by accident.

More than likely you will discover that these things are completely harmless and that they define your uniqueness in this world rather than being a cause for concern. However, now that they have found them, you will definitely want to make sure that this is all that they are so that you can move on. Take care of yourself and come back and let us know how you are doing.

All the best.

Estria

Old 11-13-2008, 06:17 AM   #5
(female)

missmel1 HB User

Thank you again for the kind words. You are a very comforting "writer".. it must be the Canadian atmosphere! Canada people are always so cool!

Old 11-14-2008, 03:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hee, hee, thanks for the compliment, it is much appreciated. Perhaps the horrible weather over here makes us take things more in stride, I am not sure.

Take care and all the best.

Estria

Closed Thread