It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2009, 12:50 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
Question about tactics for dealing with Bladder Pressure (and Travel)

Hi. I posted earlier asking for tips about living with IC. I'm trying to read through various postings to get some ideas about what to do next. I've consulted a urologist who recommended I follow an IC diet. For two weeks, I've been following the diet and it immediately helped to relieve the burning sensation I had felt but I'm left with bladder pressure (which is really affecting my ability to sleep). I have two concerns right now--getting some relief so I can sleep right now and getting some handle on this problem before I go to Japan for work related meetings in April (which involves a 14 hour plane trip plus about 10 days in a place where I will have little control over my environment. )Some questions for those who have experienced this problem:

1. Does Benadryl or any over the counter antihistamine help at all--benadryl usually helps me sleep but I don't want to take anything if it will make it worse.

2. Heating pad helps a little, but doesn't make sensation go away.

3. I feel as if I'm going mad (this always happens when I feel bad over the weekend--I totally stress out and circle things over in my mind)

4. Any techniques or tips for bladder relation to get pressure feeling to go away? Has anyone experienced pressure that NEVER goes away, or, as I've read here, does it eventually die down? I'm starting to feel so drained and depressed.

5. I'm going to call my gynecologist and get an appointment to report back to her the urologists findings and am hoping that she can help and prescribe something to help bladder pressure. The urologist was so dismisive (though female) and I hesitate to immediately run back to her for help. {/She did tell me to do the IC diet)Ideally I think I should coordinate with both doctors. (I've been told the urogynecologist in my area isn't taking new patients unless they have a cancer diagnosis as he's so booked up). Does anyone find that the gynecologist can help with IC issues? Or should I continue to try to get help from the urologist.

6. Anyone take amitriptyline and did it help the bladder pressure issue? I've read that it may help bladder relaxation. Many years ago when I was menstruating and getting frequent migraines, my doctor put me on low dose amitryptiline, and it totally helped my migraines.So, I know I can take that med.

Any comments, help would be much appreciated. May go back to bed and try to sleep now. Thanks in advance.

Maggie

Last edited by Larimergirl; 01-03-2009 at 12:53 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
(female)

chloe04 HB User
Re: Question about tactics for dealing with Bladder Pressure (and Travel)

I can understand your frustration. I too have a constant pressure. Mine has been mild since I was about 10 years old. But in the last year I keep getting what feels like bladder infections, pressure and needing to pee even though I just did. No pain or burning, just the constant need to go. My doctor has done ultrasounds,MRI and tried me on detrol. I'm now trying the Uracyst instills. I just had my second one 2 days ago and I've had what again feels like a bladder infection(constantly feeling like I got to go) since. I'm heading on vacation in a couple days and I'm at a loss as to what to do. I do have some antibiotics on hand but I just finished antibiotics a week ago so I'm trying to hold off.
It feels like it is in my urethra, just a discomfort that makes me have to go constantly. Funny thing is if I have a few alcoholic drinks, I do have to go frequently but my bladder can hold a lot before I have the urge to really go. It almost seems to numb everything. This doesn't make much sense to me.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
Re: Question about tactics for dealing with Bladder Pressure (and Travel)

My urologist met with me yesterday and prescribed Elmiron (which will take 3-6 months to have an effect) and then a newer drug Sanctura XR that is supposed to help with bladder spasms, urgency and frequency issues. She also prescribed amitryptilene (Elavil) for pain and to reduce bladder spasms, but today I called her back and asked if I could just wait and see how Sanctura worked before starting the amitriptyline. I know amitriptyline causes weight gain as I took it years ago as a migraine preventative. If the Sanctura helps, I'd rather avoid the weight issue as I recently had a hip replacement (which went really well) and I'm trying to lose weight gained when I was in pain with hip. I don't need an extra struggle with weight gain at this particular moment. The doctor said ok though she argued that I could avoid weight gain with strict regimen and exercise. I am going to weightwatchers and working out at the gym but still want to wait and see. I'm going to give myself at least a week or two on the Elmiron/Sanctura combination, keep a journal of I feel. If I feel better and no pressure, no point in adding an extra med to the mix.

Maggie

Closed Thread