It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2009, 12:08 PM   #1
(female)

Dolphin43 HB User
Every time i have antibiotics for bladder infection

Hi to all,

Everytime i have antibiotics for bladder infection i end up wiv thrush down below iam diabetic n this is making it worse so if i get another uti then i wont be able to have antibiotics so what will i do iam type 2 diabetic n my sugar levels are usually in good control.

What do i do then.

Dolphin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tfkeel HB User
Re: Every time i have antibiotics for bladder infection

From a diabetes standpoint, keeping your sugar in good control is the best you can do. Diabetics are more susceptible to infection than non-diabetics.

I would tell your doctor about the secondary infection. These are sometimes encountered with courses of antibiotics because the antibiotics kill bacteria which eat fungi.... and high blood sugar provides glucose for the fungus.

Perhaps he/she could prescribe an antibiotic which is more targeted, as well as giving you an antifungal at the same time. Sometimes doctors write for broad-spectrum antibiotics because of their wide availability and certainty of coverage. You might try using one of the over-the-counter antifungal creams with a vaginal applicator, like Monistat, as prophylaxis, beginning immediately upon starting to take antibiotics.

Last edited by tfkeel; 02-07-2009 at 02:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2009, 03:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User

Unfortunately as a person with diabetes, you are at higher risk of both urinary tract infectitons and vaginal candidiasis. Tfkeel makes a good point about a "more targeted" antibiotic, though usually the oral antibiotics used for UTIs are relatively narrow spectrum. The more common antibiotics used for UTIs include: ciprofloxacin, Septra (Bactrim in the states), cephalexin, nitrofurantoin etc. etc. They are relatively narrow spectrum antibiotics, though some of them may increase the risk for vaginal candida infection. Does any one particular antibiotic predispose you to the yeast infection or is it all of them?

Old 02-07-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
(female)

Dolphin43 HB User

Hi ive just finished Thrimthorprin for uti and these sett off again i had op in nov to put bladder in correct position n had iv antibiotics n that did it too ive used small tube of cream from docs n had to buy one friday from chemist a big one to see if it will clear it up nearly cost ten pounds ugh.

I am also on visicare too as have oab and underactive bladder too so have to cath all the time so this dosnt help at all.

I will mention it at next docs appt i cant see it been cus my sugar is high at all.

Dolphin 43.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User

OHHHHHH, your situation is totally different The fact that you have actual functional/anatomic problems with your bladder and have to regularly catheterize, you are not only at risk of infections, but because you must get antibiotics all the time, you are also at risk for resistant pathogens which sometimes require the usage of broad spectrum antibiotics.

It's interesting that people come here and ask simple questions on the boards, but then the situation becomes a lot more complicated because there is other (important) underlying medical history.

Have you ever had pyelonephritis before?

Old 02-08-2009, 04:02 AM   #6
(female)

Dolphin43 HB User
Red face Re: Every time i have antibiotics for bladder infection

Could u please explain pyelonephritis as i dont know what this is?

Old 02-08-2009, 08:44 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Pyelonephritis means infection of the renal pelvis and the kidney itself. It usually happens when one first gets a bladder infection, and then the infection tracks up one of the ureters and involves the kidney. Normally pyelo (for short) manifests as the symptoms of a urinary tract infection, but also fever and flank pain. Normally it can be treated with IV antibiotics up front and then oral antibiotics, but if there is an abscess in the kidney, surgical management is necessary.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:16 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

There is a medication called Diflucan which has been available here in the States for at least 14 years...not sure about the UK. At any rate, it's an anti-fungal oral medication. It is excellent at knocking out vaginal yeast infections, and I believe you only have to take one or two pills (it's been so long since I've needed to take it that I don't remember precisely). At any rate, it truly works wonders for us diabetic women.

I don't often need to take antibiotics but, whenever I do, I ask my doctor to also prescribe Diflucan, and I take it as soon as I finish the antibiotics.

Ruth

Old 02-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #9
(female)

Dolphin43 HB User

Hi Sam,

Thanx for info will ask doc next time i go down might be soon as think infection not cleared up yet ugh dont belive it.

Dolphin43.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:43 PM   #10
(female)

Kinselmom HB User

I have been on antibiotics more times than I can remember in the past year due to chronic diverticulitis. And along with each course of antibiotic came the aftermath of a yeast infection. I started taking probiotic supplements to help my digestive tract and realized that the past several times I've been on the antibiotics I have NOT developed the yeast infection! I know the supplements replace the beneficial bacteria in my digestive tract but maybe they do the same for the reproductive tract as well!

Closed Thread