It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Pebble Beach HB User
spinal stenosis and bladder problems

hi all. I have question. First of all I have had 6 spine surgeries to both the cervical and lumbar spine. Instrumentation to both areas. I also have kidney failure; diabetes.

My current spine problems are stenosis of the cervical & lumbar spine. I have numbness in the lower left leg and have some balance issues. So it appears that the stenosis is progressing. My orthopedist who I recently saw want a current CT Myelogram donw which I am in the process of obtaining.

There is concern of doing surgery since I am in Kidney failure and diabetic but if I dont do it the future means bladder problems and paralysis in the long term.

Today i saw a urologist due to urinary frequency. IT is not prostrate problems the PSA was 2.5 and he doesnt think my problems are due to the diabetes.

He has requested a renal and bladder ultrasound plus a test called eurodynamics which determine how the bladder is functioining . His thoughts are that its all related to the spinal issues.

Can anyone tell me about the tests? And if the problems are related to the spinal stenosis what is the treatment for the bladder issues? Medications? Surgery? Anything you can tell me would be appreciated.

Thanks for listening.

Pebble Beach

Old 02-12-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
(female)

PittyPatty5 HB User
Re: spinal stenosis and bladder problems

Hi Pebble Beach,

I had the urodynamics test (2x). It is not a painful test, but I find it a bit uncomfortable and incredibly embarrassing Basically you have a catheter inserted (in both ends in my case at least) while seated on a fake toilet. Your bladder is then filled with water, and measurements are taken at different points of emptying the bladder.

I had the test before and after surgery to detether my spinal cord last spring. Prior to surgery the test showed loss of bladder function; after surgery the test showed normal bladder function!

I also have cervical stenosis, but so far only very mild symptoms for that one.

Best of luck,
PittyPatty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread