It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User
Loss of bladder control

I have several herniated discs at L3-4 through S1. I just had total loss of bladder control. I also have a UTI for the 2nd time this month. My question is can these herniated discs cause any of this bladder stuff? I am waiting to see if it happens again tonight. I also have DDD. Thanks Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Loss of bladder control

Yes it can and it's very serious. It's called cauda equina syndrome and requires immediate surgery before the nerve damage becomes permanent.

If it happens again, get to the ER and let them check it out. An MRI of your lumbar spine will reveal if you have pressure on the nerves. This is not one to wait on or mess around with waiting.

Sorry about the bad news but better to have it checked than lose bladder control permanently.

gentle hugs.............Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2009, 04:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User

Thank you for your quick reply jennybyc. This is a bit scary for me now but I will take your advise if it happens again. Thanks again, Linda

Old 02-28-2009, 05:41 PM   #4
(female)

lindiana53 HB User

This is interesting. I have a spinal stenosis in the lower back and sciatica that I have had treated with epidural injections. My bladder problems, I've attributed to weight gain and menopause--perfectly plausible. Now, I wonder if the back issues could be connected to the bladder issues.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User

I'm through menopause also and never suffered with bladder infections or problems my whole life except for the past month. 2 infections don't know what's causing them but have the usual back and stomach cramps, urgency, burning etc. Like I said my back is in awful condition. Herniated discs, ddd,
and also spinal stenosis in lower back like you. Good luck finding any answers and if something interesting comes along, let me know.
PS My loss of bladder control only happened once so I'm thinking my bladder was about overflowing, but like I said before, THAT never happened before.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Hi ladies. Linda, I'm glad it hasn't happened again but I know someone who had it happen like twice in a week....both very sudden..... and when they did the MRI, she was rushed into surgery. Even worse is if you CAN'T go at all. Or the same problem happens with bowel movements. The main nerves to the bladder and rectum sphyincters(sp?) go to the bottom of the spinal nerves below where the spinal cord stops and you just have the remaining nerves hanging there. That's why it's called the cauda equina...horses tail. It looks like horses tail. So pressure on those nerves can easily damage a nerve permanently.

As I understand it, the incontinence or lack of, happens suddenly, not slowly.

However, neck problems can also cause the same problems and can come on slowly. I had increasing problems holding both my bladder and bowels with spinal cord compression in my neck. This a generalized compression so you also get trouble walking and trouble holding on to things(clumsy hands). So if you have any neck problems, talk to your docs. time to figure out what is causing what.

I developed more problems with incontinence last fall and it turned out to be stress incontinence...very common after menopause. Lots of possibilities and only testing will figure it out.

gentle hugs.............Jenny

Old 03-01-2009, 08:59 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

marshrose HB User

I've read (and had ) when you can't urinate, and your bladder gets so full it's the over flow that you 'leak out' in so many terms. That also may be the cause of your UTIs as the back up of urine can cause them, holding it too long, or in another case- not knowing your full in the bladder, so it backs up causing the UTIs. I would run it past your ortho Linda.

Prior to sugery once I woke wet in bed, and I just changed and didn't really look into it, and it never happened again, but had horrible kidney pains etc prior to surgery, and the inability to urinate after surgery for days which they are attributing to the huge reherniation I got they think before the recovery room. I'd be safe than sorry with this one truly.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:28 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

I developed Cauda Equina Syndrome and the resulting bladder and bowel issues, but just wanted to let you know that my urologist informed me that loosing control over ones bladder is not a result of aging or of menopause. In fact, he said that it shouldn't happen to women, and that when it does, it has to do with the sphincters not contracting or opening all the way, not because of aging or any other reason.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:30 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

Incontinence in CES can be either loosing control over your bladder and bowels or not being able to go at all. Either way, it's a bad sign, and one that needs to be addressed right away, not weeks later.
After dealing with CES now for the last couple of years, I can assure you, that one is not better than another. It just means that the nerves to bladder and bowel are damaged. Not a good thing in the big picture.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:05 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Just to give us a chuckle, my brother-in-law is one of those people who seemed to be able to hold it forever. Always laughed when we women had to go so much.

Well, at age 73 he got a bladder infection after spending a month in the Phillipines (picked up some bug). Got back to the USA and had all sorts of testing. Turns out the man has 2 bladders....one growing off the back of the regular one. It is 3 times the size of the normal bladder and was his overflow "bag". The docs say it's just an anomaly and nothing is wrong. He just has an extra tank.

Now I always feel like I have only half a bladder and this guy has 4 times the capacity. THAT'S NOT FAIR! I want an extra bladder too!

gentle hugs............Jenny

Old 03-03-2009, 07:17 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User

Thanks everyone for the replies. I did see my doctor yesterday and he cultured my urine and found infection. Believe me, I am keeping an eye of my every feeling before, during and after urination. My doctor and I have decided it's time to see a spine surgeon. So we will go from there. Thanks again, Linda

Old 03-03-2009, 10:32 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

marshrose HB User

I'm really glad to see you post back and even happier to hear you're going to see a surgeon, not for the surgery aspect, soly for the urniary problems and hopefully an answer as it can become serious and given your back issues it's like it's they're attributed to eachother. Take care and feel better.

Closed Thread