It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2009, 08:16 PM   #1
(female)

HarleyLdy61 HB User
? regarding spinal cord compression and bowel/bladder issues

I know some people have posted on here that spinal cord compression can cause issues with either the bladder or bowel. What kind of issues can spinal cord compression cause?

Thanks,
Liz

Old 05-19-2009, 07:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: ? regarding spinal cord compression and bowel/bladder issues

it can vary greatly only because of where and how much compression is actually on any given area of the cord itself. there are spinal tracts, among other things that just run thru that cord back and forth from the conus(ending of your cord) to the brain that govern pretty much all body system functions to some degree. so depending upon what particular area of that cord is being compressed or actually damaged from compression or trauma, that would kind of dictate what you may feel or see or even 'perceive' as like something being 'done' to your body type crap?

problems with your legs seem to be one of the more common things that occur for some crazy reason(hyper reflexes is a biggie). but anything that you feel that just doesn't seem 'right' to you or normal can be a sign/symptom of the extent of your cord compression, you know what i mean?

also,depending upon what level the compression is at would dictate possible areas where you would or could feel some odd symptoms too. i am assuming that you DO actually have some level of cord compression going on? do you have a copy of your own MRI results in your possession? if so, if you could simply type out word for word(the way any interpretting rad actually words certain findings really does matter) what is actually just in that summary at the very end of your report for us it would help alot in just giving you the best possible advice.

what exact symptoms are you showing right now, or have felt before? marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2009, 08:07 AM   #3
(female)

HarleyLdy61 HB User

Marcia,

This was my original post back in January. I'm the one that needs to wait until August due to Fmla reasons.

I have alot of tingling feelings in arms - legs - sometimes face. Sharp pain in my right big toe, leg calves and forearms feel tight/ numb at times. dizziness, loss of balance.

there is signigicant central stenosis related prominent disc bulges and disc-osteophyte complex formation C5-C6 and C6-C7. Cord is compressed at both levels, more severely at C5-C6. At c5-C6 anterior to posterior cord dimension is reduced to less than 0.4 cm. There is appreciable left sided foraminal encroachment at c5-c6 and c6-c7, right sided mild foraminal stenosis at both levels as well.

other levels free of significant central or foraminal stenosis.

Impression: Severe cervical spine degenerative change prominent disc osteophyte complex formation c5-c6 and c6-c7 resulting in central stenosis, cord compression and foraminal encroachment.

I convert the 0.4 cm to mm and it converts to 4mm if it is converting correctly. I still have all the above symptoms some weird stuff pops up every once to awhile. Also need to urinate alot lately. As for the bowels it's like when I need go - I better get there right away or else i'll have a accident - the stools are normal just can't control it. If you know what I mean.

Thanks for the help.
Liz

Old 05-19-2009, 12:05 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Normal spinal cord width is above 10mm. 4mm is bad and you need surgery ASAP. I was at 6mm and this is the warnings I got until I could get into surgery...Don't look up at the sky....Wear a hard collar when in a car as a fender bender could make you paralyzed.....Report any bowel or bladder problems immediately as they could become permanent(can't hold it or can't go).....Avoid all sports activities.

There were more but you need to know that your spinal cord is less than half it's normal size and if the blood flow to the cord becomes compromised, you are looking at paralysis within minutes. So if any of your symptoms increase suddenly, get to the ER as fast as you can to try to save as much function as possible.

I had to fight back from partial paralysis and it's hard. You don't want to go there. Take very good care of yourself and ...

good luck............Jenny(now fused from C3 to T1)

Old 05-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

I forgot to add the other day.....having trouble making to the bathroom on time is a sign you need to report to your doc. Sexual function can also be lost along with bowel and bladder function. But the really big bad sign is when you can't go at all....so you can get worse!

I had that urgency problem before my first and second surgeries and this time I am losing sexual function as well as urine incontinence. At least this is the only disk left in my neck that CAN herniate!

good luck............Jenny

Old 05-21-2009, 05:51 PM   #6
(female)

HarleyLdy61 HB User

Thanks for the replies ladies. I will be contacting my Dr. I will probably be going in before August, My job looks as if it is in jeporady and I will either just go out on FMLA with what I have and be terminated when it runs out - or If they are going to have to let me go I will be getting married and going on my fiance's Ins right away. I told my General Manager the thing that worries me the most is that i waited this long for the surgery and end up losing my job anyway and not being able to have the surgery after all this time. My GM is trying reallly hard to have me transfer to a new location so I will be able to keep my job but it looks like the client is looking to cut positions at that location also. Keeping my fingers crossedm Will just have to wait - see and pray that God is looking out for me and things work out.

Last edited by HarleyLdy61; 05-21-2009 at 05:53 PM. Reason: had same sentence twice

Old 05-21-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

I'm so sorry you are ending up with these decisions. I lost my job too. I took the FLMA leave for my first surgery then ended up with a major complication and more surgery just as I was supposed to go back.

But from my former profession(wedding cake baker)a suggestion. I had a couple who were engaged and I was doing the wedding cake when they went skiing and she blew out her knee. She worked part time and had no health insurance. So they got married at city hall without telling anyone other than the "had to know" people so she could go on the insurance(they called me to make a special cake). Then they went ahead and had their full wedding as planned in June(I did that cake...groom had me make a skier in a Red Cross litter being brought down the hill....out of fondant on the front of the cake). At the reception, they announced the previous marriage and why they did it. Everyone applauded! They thought it was soooo romantic!

Think practical and romantic and get the insurance and get this fixed ASAP! There are always more jobs but you only get one spinal cord.

good luck and I'm here if you have questions..............Jenny

Old 05-21-2009, 08:53 PM   #8
(female)

HarleyLdy61 HB User

We will be going the courthouse marriage route and probably have a renewal of the vows on our first anniversary with a small reception type party. if by chance I do lose my job I'd hopefully get unemployment and My fiance is suggesting once all of this is over that I go back to school while looking for a job and/or work part-time while going to back to school. Not sure what I would like to go to school for though. I just know that I'm growing tired of all of the tingling, numbness and stiffness/tightness and basically not being able to normal everyday simple things. I miss my old life can't wait to get it back, as I am sure most on this board feel the same as I do. Thank you so much for your advice, I usually just read the post and the great advice/support that you, feelbad, neckpatient and others offer here. I'm hoping and will be praying that all goes well with you and all others on this board. As I have said before it is so great having a place to go to where someone truly understands what your feeling and struggling with.

Liz

Closed Thread