It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2009, 09:35 PM   #1
(female)

busymomof7 HB User
Red face Worsening pain with bladder problems, concern??

Yesterday I went to a family members house for thanksgiving and ended up staying too long. By the time I got home I could barely walk. I went to bed and could barely move this morning. I am in so much pain and the meds are not helping much.

The pain is in the low back and going down my left leg to the foot. I also have this horrible throbbing pain in my buttock on the left. My 3 smaller toes on the right side are also hurting which has never happened. My left foot has had permanent numbness /pain in a couple toes for years but I have never had problems on the right side too.

Sorry if this is tmi but now I am having trouble making it to the restroom in time. I feel a sudden uncontrollable urge to go and even if the bathroom is a few feet away I couldnt make it in time before I began to wet myself. This has happened 3 times today so far. Since I have had a lot of children I have always had a little bit of urgency but I almost always made it in time or had a tiny bit of leakage. It was usually from waiting too long. Now it is more than a tiny bit and I cant even feel that I have to go until it is too late.

Could this be related to the back problems? Should I be concerned about worsening symptoms? I have a dx of degenerative disk disease and a herniated disk. I have been using a heating pad off and on today and it has helped the throbbing a bit but not enough.

Last edited by busymomof7; 11-27-2009 at 09:36 PM.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
(female)

amybb HB User
Re: Worsening pain with bladder problems, concern??

I have talked to quite a few surgeons and I have been asked several times if my bladder control has been affected. Mine hasn't, but it must be a symptom if they all ask. As much as I hate ice, it might be worth a try. Just put the heat pad on your chest to keep you warm. Hang in there!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User
Re: Worsening pain with bladder problems, concern??

Yes, leaking urine is not normal, ever, even after having children. Ask any urologist. Aging is also not a reason for leaking or not being able to get to the bathroom on time.
Are you having increasing numbness along with the pain? Are you having trouble holding your bowels as well? I would suggest that you look up Cauda Equina Syndrome. It is directly related to compression of the spinal nerves in the lumbar area. Those nerves look like a horses tail. They branch off in pairs down through the lumbar and sacral area and are responsible for sensation and motor function of the bladder, bowels, sexual organs, legs, feet. Are you having numbness in the areas where a saddle would touch you if you were to sit on one? A change in the way toilet paper feels on your buttocks or vaginal area? If so, along with your bladder problems, you need to be seen at either your doctors office right away or at the ER where they can do an MRI to evaluate whether those nerves are compressed or not. It is a surgical emergency if they are. The longer they are compressed, the less likely that those nerves will recover completely. So don't mess around. Check it out and if you think that your symptoms fit the symptoms listed , go get checked out.
Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymomof7 View Post
Yesterday I went to a family members house for thanksgiving and ended up staying too long. By the time I got home I could barely walk. I went to bed and could barely move this morning. I am in so much pain and the meds are not helping much.

The pain is in the low back and going down my left leg to the foot. I also have this horrible throbbing pain in my buttock on the left. My 3 smaller toes on the right side are also hurting which has never happened. My left foot has had permanent numbness /pain in a couple toes for years but I have never had problems on the right side too.

Sorry if this is tmi but now I am having trouble making it to the restroom in time. I feel a sudden uncontrollable urge to go and even if the bathroom is a few feet away I couldnt make it in time before I began to wet myself. This has happened 3 times today so far. Since I have had a lot of children I have always had a little bit of urgency but I almost always made it in time or had a tiny bit of leakage. It was usually from waiting too long. Now it is more than a tiny bit and I cant even feel that I have to go until it is too late.

Could this be related to the back problems? Should I be concerned about worsening symptoms? I have a dx of degenerative disk disease and a herniated disk. I have been using a heating pad off and on today and it has helped the throbbing a bit but not enough.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
(female)

michelemore HB User
Post Re: Worsening pain with bladder problems, concern??

I get epidermal injections into my tailbone and they work great to lessen the pain and tightness of buttocks. I also occasionally have problems with leaking urine but I think it's mostly around taking too many meds. Loading up on pain killers can numb out your bladder. You don't get the urge in your brain until your bladder is so full you can hardly make it to the bathroom and sometimes I have wet my pajamas before I wake up!

I spoke with my doctor about going to a urologist but the testing procedure sounded really painful so I've put it off.

These epidermal injections really work. I've been getting 3 a year but now doctors think 4 would be better. It is a steroid but it's been tested now for 40 years and no serious side effects have occurred. I would be in awful pain without them...

Closed Thread