It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
(female)

jenh1984 HB User
Unhappy Post op Rectocele/Cystocele/bladder suspension no bowel movement

Hi,

I am 6 days post op and still have not been able to have a bowel movement yet. I had a rectocele repair, cystocele repair, bladder suspension, uterine suspension, and he stitched my cervix to somewhere in the rear (?) so it would stay in place. I am in soooo much pain still I'm not even sure if it is normal. I can't walk very well yet, can't sit down on my bottom, and cannot do either function well. I can pee sometimes but never fully empty and I cannot have a bowel movement at all. I take 3 stool softeners a day, took the full dose (3-4 tablespoons) of Milk of Magnesia for 3 days straight. I called my doctor and he said to take Magnesium Citrate (not sure of spelling) and that would def make me go within 4 hrs. I drank it yesterday and was only able to go a very tiny bit and (sorry TMI) some squirty farts. I don't understand why I can't go. I'm doing everything I can think of. Anybody have any help for me????? Please!!
Jen H

Old 02-20-2010, 09:10 AM   #2
(female)

annielaurien HB User
Re: Post op Rectocele/Cystocele/bladder suspension no bowel movement

Hi Jen -

Please also see my other posts.
6 days out is not unusual for no action down there, so to speak, from what I have read. Especially if you aren't eating much or at all.
Personally, I was eating, probably more than I should have been, and had my first 'success' after 4 days, after much anxiety over it and worry that I was going to tear something or undo a repair.
It sounds like you are doing all the right things, but you didn't mention food intake. I would say that if you are not feeling a great deal of pressure 'down there,' then your body is probably not ready to void yet. And it also sounds like once it is, it shouldn't be a problem for you, or painful, because of all the softeners/laxatives you've imbibed.
Hopefully you for sure have had some action by now!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Stupid question . . . how much are you eating? I'm guessing not much . . . especially when you talk about the squirting.

You had a LOT of work done. That disrupts things. And are you on medication for pain? (That helps pain but slows output!)

Some years ago, I had fairly extensive surgery, not to the extent you did, though. As I recall, it was 5 or 6 days before there was output. And when it did start, it was mostly stingy bile because I was not eating that much.

Hang in there. You ought to be turning a corner soon!

Old 02-21-2010, 02:38 AM   #4
(female)

nickkinix HB User

hi there, i am now 6 weeks post op, had my prolapsed bowel fixed, and am waiting on the prolapsed bladder op. My surgeons wouldnt do all the work together, it would have been too much, so im a little suprised to hear you have had so much done at once! its not unusual to not have had a poo 6 days post op, just make sure you are eating plenty of fruit and veg - steer clear of bananas though as they will really clog you up.
I was unable to have a poo until about a week post op, purely because there had been some complications and I had a catheter in for a week. as soon as the catheter came out though there was no stopping me!!
You will feel so much better once you have managed to 'go', but make sure you get plenty of rest! I have had help with the housework, my nieces have been walking my dog, and i have done very little for the last 6 weeks. I am signed off work until easter, and I havent had even half of what you have had done, so make sure you take care of yourself
Hope you have a speedy recovery!!
nicola

Old 03-06-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
(female)

tonsils suck HB Usertonsils suck HB User

Well jeez Jen H, I'm hoping you went by now or it would really be an issue! lol. I'm responding though in case other people read this post looking of answers....

I had a lot of of the same surgeries done as you did Jen. I had my bladder sticked back up and attached to my body and they built a "ligament wall" out of mesh to hold my bladder, vagina and rectum in place so they would not fall (prolapse) again. But I had a hysterectomy and had my uterus removed (versus you having your suspended). I also had 6 inches of my rectum removed and then it was pulled back and attached to my pelvic bone in hopes it would not prolapse again. I still need the rectocele repair. But with the colon resection and suture rectopexy already happening, they did not want to increase the risk of infection by doing a third colon surgery. I will have that done in a few weeks.

My p/o bm experience was this....

I was on a dilaudid pump for two days then switched to 3 dilauded every three hours. I had a bm by like day three, all liquid. This continued for 3 days but then went back to no action for 3 days. This was then followed by raging upset stomach for about 24 hours but the momentum is likely due to the amount of laxatives and softeners I had taken in fear too much was getting backed up. I prob overdid it.

Closed Thread