It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #1
(male)

jkt77 HB User
Thickening of the Urinary Bladder Wall?!?

I apologize for double-posting. This was posted in the Urology board as well.

I am a 32yo male, who like to start a family with my wife.

I went in to see my primary care physician for some mild aches/pains in my right groin, and testicles in July, 2010. The pain has been there since ~April, 2009. My groin/testicular pain occurred almost immediately after I had helped a friend/coworker of mine move 3000 lbs. of food for his church. Being the person that I am, I delayed having it looked into. My PCP first ordered up a testicular ultrasound to rule out the big, and bad processes (i.e. cancer).

My testicular ultrasound came out fine for the most part. Hydrocele on the left, and small epidydimal cyst on the right as well as what might be some inflammation of my right epidydimis. The local doctor put me on sulfameth/trimethoprim for two weeks. I went in for my checkup, and she ordered up an abdominal/pelvic CT since my pain did not completely go away. Straight from the radiologists' impressions portion of the report:

Pelvis: There is mild urinary bladder wall thickening seen anteriorly. Clinical correlation should be made for cystitis. The rectosigmoid colon is collapsed without any gross lesion. The prostate is not enlarged. No inguinal hernia is seen. No inguinal lymphadenopathy is present on either side. Mild disc bulges are seen in the lower lumbar spine.

IMPRESSION:
Mild urinary bladder wall thickening anteriorly. Clinical correlation should be made for cystitis.
No inguinal hernia or lymphadenopathy in the inguinal region.
Mild disc protrusions in the lower lumbar spine.

I am most concerned about #1. Is the threat of bladder cancer very real? I have no visible blood in my urine, or any other signs of cystitis or any other bladder issues. No burning while voiding, etc.. In fact, my urination behavior has been the same since the beginning of time. The CT scan showed from what I could tell, some un-uniform thickening.

The two urologists that I have seen are not concerned, and believe that I am good to go. They also believe that I should not have been put on the sulfameth/trimethoprim as I did not have epididymitis. However, I received a new urinalysis report from my first urologist and have the following to report:

Color: yellow
Appearance: Clear
SP Gravity: 1.015 normal
PH: 5 normal
Leukocytes: Neg
Nitrite: Neg
Protein: Neg
Clucose: Norm
Acetone: Neg
Urobilinog: Norm
Bilirubin: Neg
Blood: Neg
WBC: 8-12
RBC: 0
Epithelial: 0
Bacteria: 0

I am concerned about the WBC being so high. The chem test comes up negative for leukocytes, but the microbiology shows 8-12.

My first urologist's office says that there is nothing to be worried about.

I have a third opinion with a urologist this Thursday (09/01/2010).

What concerns should I have?

Last edited by jkt77; 09-07-2010 at 03:16 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2010, 10:52 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Bob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB User
Re: Thickening of the Urinary Bladder Wall?!?

I would not suggest having a second CT. You could probably ask if one of the doctors is willing to do an ultrasound of your bladder. They can see if your bladder wall has changed in size. If you had an infection during or slightly before the CT, the wall could have been thicker than normal. It should return to normal unless you have some type of scar tissue from a prior injury or illness. Obviously cancer is a possibility but I would think you are young for it to be on the top of the list.

If you have white blood cells in your urine, it is an indicator of possible infection but based on the overall test results, the doctors were probably not concerned.

Good luck to you.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:30 AM   #3
(male)

jkt77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob652 View Post
I would not suggest having a second CT. You could probably ask if one of the doctors is willing to do an ultrasound of your bladder. They can see if your bladder wall has changed in size. If you had an infection during or slightly before the CT, the wall could have been thicker than normal. It should return to normal unless you have some type of scar tissue from a prior injury or illness. Obviously cancer is a possibility but I would think you are young for it to be on the top of the list.

If you have white blood cells in your urine, it is an indicator of possible infection but based on the overall test results, the doctors were probably not concerned.

Good luck to you.

I went, and saw my third urologist on 09/09/2010. The first two pretty much blew off my symptoms with "you're young, there's nothing wrong with you." The off-and-on groin pain is nothing.

The third urologist is a bit more detailed oriented. As for the thickening, he believes that it is inflammation, and not malignant. He assured me that whatever is going on down there should not be a tumor or malignancy. I proceeded to ask him why, and his response was that:

a) My urinary patterns are normal.
b) No RBC hematuria (gross or microscopic) is present in my urine.
c) My age is too young.
d) There is usually lymphatic involvement, and I do not exhibit any.

I asked him what else it could be, and he responded that is why a cystoscope is needed.

Thank you for your response. I appreciate your input, but a little worried about this statement!

Quote:
Obviously cancer is a possibility but I would think you are young for it to be on the top of the list.
So bladder/urinary types of cancer hit my age group the most?!?

Last edited by jkt77; 09-12-2010 at 07:49 AM.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Bob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB User

Bladder cancer can occur at any age but you are not old enough for it to be on the top of the list. If you search around online, research says that bladder cancer is rarely found in people under the age of 40. Besides the fact that the radiologist felt that it was inflammation and not cancer, you also stated that your doctor ruled out cancer because your lymphatic system is not doing anything odd.

If you are really concerned about this, you can ask for an ultrasound of the bladder to see if it has returned to normal. My urologist has an ultrasound tech in the office so he scans me instantly whenever he has a concern. Depending on where you go, they may be able to do the same thing for you. Just avoid getting another CT of the area unless absolutely necessary.

Good luck to you.

Closed Thread