It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

lovethoscurls HB User
What to expect?

I am a 27 year old female smoker with high blood pressure and a 3 yr old. 6.5 months ago while at my yearly they found "large" amounts of microscopic blood with no infection present. I was sent to my family doctor who sent me on to a urologist. On a separate note I also visited the ER due to back pain in between seeing family dr and urologist at the request of family dr. Radiologist said CT showed nothing. The urologist did a cystoscopy which showed nothing, but a red spot. He thought maybe it was a bladder infection that was clearing up and just not showing in the urinalysis. He also said it was possible that he "hit" me with the camera, but was fairly certain, he didn't. He told me that I was young, and overall healthy, that if I was older we would "need to find out where all this blood was coming for". He set up a retest for 6 months later. He said if that still showed blood he would then have me come back again in 6 months and just keeping the meantime I went back to see my family dr, because I wasn't comfortable with the fact that if I was older this could be serious comment. My family doctor agreed and told me he would actually be comfortable with me not going back to the urologist at all if I didn't want to, because again, I am young and healthy.

I did keep the appointment. Went in and gave a urine sample. I received a phone call two days later telling me they needed me to come back in to give another urine sample. While in the restroom I noticed the cup said something different, and wrote down the name of it. They were running a cytology exam with FISH. After looking that up i was a little concerned especially since the urologist had told me that he was just going to keep checking me. I called the office and asked when they would have results and if they would call me. I was told that it would take about 2 weeks, and that they would call if anything was abnormal. 2 weeks and one day later, I receive a call that they would like to see me so the dr can go over my results with me.

I am not sure what to expect. If it's something, does the FISH test tell you what stage, or will there be more tests for that? I want to ask for a second opinion, but how does that look? Do I need to tell this doctor that I want a second opinion? What questions should I be ready to ask? If you got this far thank-you!! I am just concerned that now it has been 6 months, and if it is something, how bad is it at this point?

Thanks again!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread