It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
(male)

lttl-bgft HB User
Plavix and Bladder Cancer symptoms

I had a couple of heart attacks last year and had 7 stents placed in my heart. From the night of the first heart attack, I experienced a burning sensation when urinating. I passed it off as a reaction to the medications they put me on but finally, after 6 months, mentioned it to my cardiologist, who referred me to a Urologist. The urologist assured me there were no signs of infection or STDs in my urine sample but that there was blood present (something I thought I had seen myself on occasion) and then suggested I might have Bladder Cancer. Of course, he is very aware of the medications, including Plavix and 325mg of aspirin I take daily. He ordered a Cystoscopy.

My dilemma here is that I'm a "self pay", without insurance and while I can come up with the $735 for the procedure with some struggle, I can't help but to question the need for it. First off, it looks awful and painful and the cost is a real burden but I've done a considerable amount of reading and confirmed my suspicion that Plavix and aspirin alike can cause bleeding in the urinary tract. Especially for someone like myself, who consumes so much coffee, which might agitate the lining of it.

Do any of you know anyone who's been in this situation? Or ever heard of such a situation before?

Allow me to include these notable additions to my story. I'm a45y/o male and I drink a lot of coffee, although it be decaf these days. In the range of 64 to 98 ounces per day. And I'm still smoking, to the tune of about 3 packs a day. Truck driver, ya know. We're on the list of people most likely to get Bladder Cancer because of our occupation. But still, I'm feeling inclined to cancel this Cystoscopy simply based on the reading I've done and need a little exta guidance here, if anyone can help.

Last edited by mod85; 02-07-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
(male)

lttl-bgft HB User
Re: Plavix and Bladder Cancer symptoms

Hmmm... No replies...

Old 07-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
(female)

lomasallyp HB User
Re: Plavix and Bladder Cancer symptoms

Get the tests done. My husband, who was a smoker and drank lots of coffee, was diagnosed with enlarged prostrate even though the test results showed something irregular in his bladder wall. We went to the Urologist and he was misdiagnosed for 4 months before I demanded a second opinion. This was in February 2011. He died in June 2011. Not saying this to scare you but for your peace of mind, find out. Don't let it go. It may be a result of the meds you are taking but you really need to rule out the bladder cancer. I hope all goes well with you and it is just the meds. Best wishes to you and your family.

Closed Thread