It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
(male)

Virxren HB User
Help... Need guidance... please

Dear Sir,

My father (age:65yrs) had TURP on 11th Jan 2012. Catheter/Irrigation was removed on 13th Jan 2012 morning. But due to retention, catherator provided on 13th Jan 2012 evening. The catheter removed on 23rd Jan 2012. After this, he was having stress incontinence (had urge to go after every 15 mins.), within few days developed infection and hence again hospitalised. He was administered with antibiotic and taken on Self Cathetarisation. As of now, sometimes he has dribbling, some times full control and some times self catheratorisation. He needs to go to bathroom every one hour and output varies between 50-150 ml. He was having BPH problem since last 2.5 yrs as he reveled after this surgery - a surprise for us.Presently, he is on medication and hospitalised. I have following question:
1. Does the above phenomena common after TURP? I mean dribbling with stress and urge incontinence both and low quantity of urination.
2. Has his bladder lost the capacity or become smaller? is this possible to loose bladder function after long period with BPH i.e. 2.5 years?
3. How much time does it take to recover from this ?

Any help in this matter will be highly helpful to my family. We are undergoing a lot of stress.

Kind regards,

Viren

Last edited by mod85; 02-15-2012 at 08:55 PM.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
(female)

Kooklet HB User
Re: Help... Need guidance... please

Hello Viren,

My father underwent a similar situation from Jan 2011. As a reassurance, he's almost completely fine now.

Yes, prolonged catheterisation does predispose to developing infections and all the issues you mentioned do seem to be fairly common in post-TURP patients. Unfortunately, the bladder muscle tone takes a beating with long-term prostate issues and hence good strength of urine flow and control over the urine sometimes takes a while to get back to normal. But it eventually does, rest assured.

My father had a quicker recovery because we put him on homeopathic medication to improve bladder tone and stop recurrent infections. The urologist seemed to expect a 6 month catheterisation but my father regained tone after about 5-6 weeks.
Despite this, he used to get up 4-5 times a night for urination for several months.

Though urologists say that recovery after TURP takes 3-4 weeks, from experience and from other people's posts on this excellent forum, you can reasonably expect about 4 months. Your father should avoid heavy strenuous exercise of any kind for quicker smoother progress.

Good luck and stay positive. Give him reassurance that it will all get ok eventually.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread