It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
(female)

plc HB User
Unhappy need some information

Hi to all, Just found out I have bladder cancer. I am having surgery on June 12, The doctor told me the whole thing will take 15-20mins. I am thankful it was found by mistake, still have my orginal problem but thats ok... Needless to say this diagnosis has thrown me for a loop, is there any one out there that has had this surgery (TUR) for bladder cancer? what can I expect post-op???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: need some information

Hi,
I'm really sorry to hear this and although I know nothing about Bladder Cancer I just want to wish the very best for you and your surgery on the 12th June.
Treatment for all Cancers has come a long way in the past decade and I know you will be well looked after.
My thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Solofelix.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Hi PLC,

What to expect is going to depend in a large part to what they find. If this was caught really early and it's still just in the transitional cells (first layer of bladder), all that may be needed is the surgery and then follow-up. They'll stage and grade it; if it's low-grade and non-invasive, the surgery will be sufficient. If it's more invasive, there are other treatments, such as chemotherapy or BCG wash introduced directly into the bladder. Hopefully it's early, and low grade.

The surgery, if it's non-invasive, is not quite a "piece of cake," but it's close! They should give you a medication called Pyrideum immediately after the surgery to stop bladder spasms, which can be awful. Usually you just need one pill, it works right away, and by the time it wears off, you don't have spasms anymore. Ask for it before you go in for surgery and make sure they have it in the post-op room.

Stay positive, and let's hope this is really early stage. Please post back and let me know what the results of your surgery are. Good luck!

Ruth

Old 07-19-2012, 06:30 AM   #4
(female)

silks HB User

Hi,

I have had bladder cancer. The bladder was removed 4 years ago and a new one made for me, a neo bladder.

Please ask any questions for I have been there.

Silk

Closed Thread