It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
(male)

garryv HB User
just had a turp done

i just had a turp done , just 1 1/2 weeks ago. i`m having a lot of problems trying tomake it to the bathroom before an accident happens. i go quite often still, and find a little (couple drops of blood at the start ) each time i urinate , but then it clears up. i was told to expect this for a while yet . my problem is i`ll wet my pants sometimes without even knowing anything is happening, until i feel the wetness on my legs. i sleep on my lazyboy chair, as it`s more comfortable in that position for me, and my bathroom is on the same floor then too . i was having lots of pain with every time i had to urinate, but now that pain has stopped and my flow is a little better then right after surgery. i had to be re - catherized after they removed mine, as i got blocked with blood clots, and they`d have to flush it out for some time . i had the catheter removed now, after 1 1/2 weeks after surgery, so about 4 days without a catheter now. my urine flow is slowly getting better as it was very hard to go for the first couple of days after the removal of the catheter .i am getting a lot of spasms, is any one else having this problem too ? they gave me Buscopan , to help with the spasms , and they seem to be easing a bit, but i still have them worse everytime i urinate yet . i go back in a week to see my surgeon, but it would be nice to get a bit more info before then.
thanks , garryv

Old 05-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #2
(male)

Ibethebear HB User
Re: how long did it take to get bladder control after turp

I am 57 and had TURP in January. Yes, it is a bit uncomfortable, but it is well worth it. I had a lot of urgency for the first 2 months as well as needing to wear a diaper. Whenever I had to go, sometimes I could not make it to the bathroom. There was no leakage, but when I had to go, I had to go RIGHT NOW. there was also quite a bit of burning when I went. All of this went away completely in about two months. Now I am at about three months and I pee like I did when I was 18. Erections are normal as well as sex. Even though I had the TURP, I do not have a retrograde ejaculation. I was told that my bladder will continue to stretch back to its original size over several more months and I will be able to go longer between pee's. At this time I get up at night two or three times compared to eight to ten times prior to the surgery. I am told this will continue to get better with time. I have no pain or other side affects at all now after three months. If anyone has any specific questions, please let me know.

Steve B

Last edited by Ibethebear; 05-05-2012 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Remove names

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
(male)

Chewie31 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibethebear View Post
I am 57 and had TURP in January. Yes, it is a bit uncomfortable, but it is well worth it. I had a lot of urgency for the first 2 months as well as needing to wear a diaper. Whenever I had to go, sometimes I could not make it to the bathroom. There was no leakage, but when I had to go, I had to go RIGHT NOW. there was also quite a bit of burning when I went. All of this went away completely in about two months. Now I am at about three months and I pee like I did when I was 18. Erections are normal as well as sex. Even though I had the TURP, I do not have a retrograde ejaculation. I was told that my bladder will continue to stretch back to its original size over several more months and I will be able to go longer between pee's. At this time I get up at night two or three times compared to eight to ten times prior to the surgery. I am told this will continue to get better with time. I have no pain or other side affects at all now after three months. If anyone has any specific questions, please let me know.

Steve B
It took me about 4 months to fully recover from TURP surgery. Recovery was a terrible experience, especially at night. I would not want to go through that again. However, every thing is back to "normal" now.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
(male)

georgios HB User

I'm 6 months post TURP now, and from my experience, during the first month after operation things are rather worse than expected (or hoped). The second month things improve significantly, the third start returning to normal, the fourth I was already sorry not having the TURP earlier. The surgeon had to remove most of the core of my prostate, as I suffered also from chronic prostatitis, so retro-ejaculation was guarandied, but otherwise "business as usual". Now, one night trip to toilet, 500 ml max pee volume.
So it really needs patience, there are some ups and downs and don't forget to avoid physical stress and especially constipation.
Nevertheless, if recuperation process deviates from the pattern the surgeon predicted, do not hesitate to inform him.
Best wishes

Old 05-07-2012, 03:25 AM   #5
(male)

garryv HB User

thanks everyone for the replies . it sure makes it easier , when you can hear that others are going, or went through the same things that i am . i go back to the surgeons office this week, and i`ve been having a hard time voiding since he put me on visacare . he said it would help with the urgency , well, so far it hasn`t changed a thing , other then my flow has gone from great to being forced again, and very slow flow again . the surgeron was talking about a stint, the last time i was in his office , or going back in to open things up again (with that device that dialates the urethra . i hope he will say here take these other pills and i`ll be on my way, as he cannot go in with a scope again, he did that already while i was awake , and i couldn`t take the pain at all, as i had a three piece inflatable implant put in years ago already . i`m getting very stronge urge to urinate, yet when i get there, i have to strain for a small amount .

Old 05-09-2012, 07:40 AM   #6
(male)

David2 HB User

Hi Garry, Visacare(Spelling ?) I had that same drug and it did exactly the same to me. My consult changed it to "CONTIFLO XL" known as Tamulosin and that works fine and am still on them they are fine with no side effects. Get your man to change them. regards david

Last edited by David2; 05-09-2012 at 07:42 AM. Reason: extra word

Old 05-10-2012, 03:35 AM   #7
(male)

garryv HB User

thx david2 , as it is , i`m going to my surgeon`s office today , for an appointment . so while there i`ll ask him for another kind and see what happens. did you also have the constant , sudden urge to go , all the time , even after just leaving the restroom ? i`ll mention the medication you posted and see what my doctor says . i`ll let ya know how i make out , if my medications are changed again .

Old 05-10-2012, 05:08 AM   #8
(male)

David2 HB User

Hi Garry,

Yes I had exactly the same as you have, a constant urge and it goes on for a very long time, and yes I still feel as if I want to go immediatly after I have been, and feel as if I am going to pee myself, it is a horrid sensation, but it does ease and you do get used to it. I think it also is a matter of training your mind as well as your bladder, to act as you want it to. I only hope in time it dissapears completley

Look forward to hearing how you got on today

Regards
David

Last edited by David2; 05-10-2012 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Missed out final courtesy

Old 05-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
(male)

garryv HB User

David2 , well, i got back from the surgeons appointment , he booked me for the OR , as he`s looking for a urethral stricture , as i had one done back in feb. , before the turp surgery . if none is found , he said in his opinion , it all stems from back surgery (had bars implanted in my spine around 2007 from an old injury at work ) , and that i probably have nerve damage from that surgery . he also told me that , if this urethral stricture keeps returning after only 3 months or so , that the next option is open surgery , but there are a lot of risks to take into account with that type of surgery . so i don`t really know until next month , after my OR date , as to what`s going to happen now . he did take me off of the vesicare .

Old 06-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
(male)

Jimcoon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibethebear View Post

Steve B
Steve, I'm almost 5 weeks post TURP (had some prostate gland and bladder muscle removed - surgeon said all went well) . I'm 56. My experience seems very similar to yours and I hope I recover like you did. I believe that it's going to be worth it, but at at times right now it's rather dreadful. Need some encouragement!
Good news: the burning which I experienced the first few weeks is now much, much improved. Also, I only get up twice during night the night to pee (Vs 4-6). Also, I pee like a teenager with about 3X the "muzzle velocity".
Bad news: Biggest issue right now is the explosive urge to go with only a few seconds warning. Sometimes I don't make it to the bathroom. I wear a diaper just in case. What I've found helps is that I wear a wristwatch and try to modulate my liquid intake and pee about every 2 hours. If I down an 16 oz beverage, I'm begging for trouble; I'm now going with 4 oz intakes at a time. Forget anything other than milk or water, too.
Questions:
How much longer until I can control my bladder and get enough warning?
When can I start exercising hard again??
I have a high-intensity backpacking and canoeing trip planned in mid-July (this will be 10-11 weeks post TURP). I thought that would give me plenty of time to recover, but the way things are going now, I don't know. In retrospect I was way too optimistic. Maybe I have to call the trip off? Hope not.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #11
(female)

Kooklet HB User

Hi. A backpacking and canoeing trip so soon after a TURP doesn't sound good to me. As Lenny has said, doctors say 6 weeks is good recovery time, but in reality it is not often so.
I came to these forums last year to seek advice and help for my dad who'd undergone TURP. It took a long time to really recover. AS Lenny says, 4 months at the minimum.

Exerting, carrying loads, etc., might delay good recovery, so I'd really suggest resting for now and putting off your trip a few more months.

Good luck!

Old 06-04-2012, 07:16 AM   #12
(male)

georgios HB User

Jimcoon, definitly not worth taking the risk for hard physical activity, yet. Since you said there was some bladder muscle removed as well, perhaps you need some more time to recover than the typical, hence you still have the urgency. Hopefully you will make a full recovery and then you will be sure about having sports. I did bicycle almost 5 months after turp, and had some irritation. So if in doubt, don't!

Closed Thread