It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
(female)

legalbeagel HB User
Is there such a thing as cancer nutritionists?

I had TURB to remove low grade non invasive tumor and 2 opinion doctors recommended no BCG. It's 4 months later and my cystoscopy yesterday shows two more growths in bladder so another TURB is set for Nov 27 and then biopsy the two new growths. I asked my urologist if I could go to a cancer nutritionist to set me up on a healthful nutrition program figuring nutrition is a good component to have while dealing with cancer. He said no food/drink will stop cancer and won't sign the permission form for me to see cancer nutritionist. Signing the form some of my insurances may pay; otherwise, it's out of my pocket. Question: Since my urologist said food/drink won't prevent cancer, what have your urologists said about cancer nutritionists? Do any of you go to one? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Is there such a thing as cancer nutritionists?

Nope, I haven't gone to a nutritionist for that (although I've seen one for diabetes management.) I have, however, been taking a very high antioxident vitamin called oncovite which was developed by Dr. Donald Lamm, a leading researcher in bladder cancer. My own urologist also recommended this vitamin. So far, knock wood, I'm 7 years post-bladder cancer with no recurrences. Is it the vitamin, or is it just luck...who knows?

As for the BCG treatments, I'd say it was good advice until you developed recurrences; now, once you have the surgery, it'd probably be a good idea to have BCG to prevent further recurrences. I'd also suggest getting a second opinion on the pathology slides. It's possible that the grade was misdiagnosed. High grade Ta's are more likely to recur than low-grade ones, although it's certainly possible for low grade tumors to recur, too.

The good news is that you've caught this early. I wish you good luck in treating the current tumors and good luck in finding a way to prevent recurrences.

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread