It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bone Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2003, 07:17 PM   #1

mesueminna HB User
Question Need information on bone cancer Please help.

My father in law has prostate cancer that has moved to his bones. When he first got sick his doctor chose to treat him with herbs and hormone thearpy. He had a HMO need I say more? Well it never did get any better. And even knowing his numbers were not improving they continued the same treatment. Personally I think his doctor should have been a little more agressive after his numbers were not getting any better. Now it has moved to his bones. It is getting worse and they are now doing cemo and raditation. In the past they had only done one or the other but never both at one time. But I think they are just buying time at this point. Everytime they treat a area it goes away but it returns in a new spot. It started in his hip then his shoulder and elbow. As of last night he was admitted to get his pain under control. He had surgery on his eye last week because a tumor had pressedon his nerve and he was having double vision and could no see anymore. No they did not remove the tumor but did something to the nerve. They did it late in the afternoon and he was not allowed to eat or anything all day. He was not able to take pain pills or anything. And it set him back. He was not able to get his pain undercontrol at home and he was hurting so bad he could not eat. So he was really weak from not eating and was hurting really bad. When they admitted him they did a emergancy MRI. We now know that it has moved into his spine. I need to know if after it has spread to the bones is it at this point curable or not? And how long does someone usually have after it reaches the spine? Is there still room for hope?
My husband is in the Navy and we are in Washington state and his parents are still in Texas. He wants to be with his dad full time. Our only way of doing this is to get a humanitarian transfer. We are not real sure the Navy will allow this. I need to find a way to help him cope but still be the one who knows where we stand. My husband his mom and brother and even his dad are all to afraid to ask the question. Is he going to die from this or is there a chance he can beat it. I have yet to see a artical that outlines the outcome of spinal cancer. So I need some straight forward answers on this. My husband is now finally starting to ask some of the hard questions but he is afraid to bring them up to his mom and dad. He is asking me and I need to know how to answer them for him. So please anyone who can help me.
Melinda
Thanks in advance,
Melinda

------------------
"Every experience God gives us, every person he puts in our lives, is the perfect preparation for the future only he can see."
One son deceased now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2003, 12:13 PM   #2
(female)

Kalie HB User
I am so sorry to hear about your father in-law. I certainly hope he has a new doctor. I don't think anyone other than a qualified dr who has examined him can tell you if he will beat the cancer. A great web site to check out is [url="http://www.oncolink.org"]http://www.oncolink.org[/url] You will be able to find a lot of information about different cancers and treatment there.

I hope he recovers soon!

Old 07-18-2003, 12:34 PM   #3

mesueminna HB User
thank you, He seems to be doing a little better. He started a new raditation treatment yesterday. The only spot they can find is the one on his spine. Most of the time they were treating two or more spots. So we are a little more hopeful now. But I am still going to look at this wite for some information. Thanks.
Melinda

------------------
"Every experience God gives us, every person he puts in our lives, is the perfect preparation for the future only he can see."
One son deceased now.

Closed Thread