It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bone Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #46
(female)

bowbiter HB User
Re: Grade 2 osteochondral lesion/defect lateral talar dome

Any more updates?

And I remember someone saying they went to Mercy in Baltimore? Would you recommend that?

And someone else said that nothing showed up in MRI's? How long did you wait until you finally had surgery? I'm going on 2 years and my last MRI was negative ugh!

Old 09-09-2010, 07:16 AM   #47
(female)

ahodous HB User

Bowbiter,

I'm 18 weeks post-op and right now I'm so glad I went through the OAT's. Things that I have not been able to do for the last two years I can finally do without pain. It still gets tender from time to time if I'm really pushing it but that can still be expected. But I'm back to horseback riding..went on a 4 hour trail ride...this was totally unthinkable during the last two years. I'm back to some light ballroom and linedancing. Just last weekend I took a 8 mile bike ride (mostly flat) and walked a good bit the rest of the day. It was a little sore an swollen but to have asked it to do all of the before the OAT's i don't think i could have done it.

Have a great week!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2010, 07:23 AM   #48
(female)

bowbiter HB User

Thanks for the update and glad your ankle is doing so much better

Old 09-09-2010, 08:08 AM   #49
(female)

michaels1mom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahodous View Post
Bowbiter,

I'm 18 weeks post-op and right now I'm so glad I went through the OAT's. Things that I have not been able to do for the last two years I can finally do without pain. It still gets tender from time to time if I'm really pushing it but that can still be expected. But I'm back to horseback riding..went on a 4 hour trail ride...this was totally unthinkable during the last two years. I'm back to some light ballroom and linedancing. Just last weekend I took a 8 mile bike ride (mostly flat) and walked a good bit the rest of the day. It was a little sore an swollen but to have asked it to do all of the before the OAT's i don't think i could have done it.

Have a great week!
So glad to hear of your continued progress!
I was due to have surgery in August but am in somewhat of a "holding pattern" for now. Oddly enough, in late July, I developed a fibroma on my heel of rt foot, totally independent of my current problems. It was painful and I could not bear weight (once again) on my foot. Through the diagnosis of that nuisance, I was also diagnosed with RSD/CRPS and was in total shock/denial.
Of course, this meant my skilled out of town surgeon would NOT even see me for my planned pre-opp appt on Aug 5.
If I do have RSD ( and I'm in the process of getting all that sorted out now, it is very mild and transient.
Im most likely getting another MRI soon to see how the peroneal, AFTL , and " foreign body" from the OCD lesion are doing.
Ive continued with PT. I have made so much progress (can walk up stairs now , down stairs slowly, get a calf contraction, ROM has increased greatly) and I can wear a tennis shoe! I can def walk further but haven't pressed my luck too far.
So, there's my update.
I hope everyone is continuing to improve and passing over any road blocks being thrown in your direction.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #50
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

I went to Mercy in Baltimore. I didn't have my OATS done there, but the Distraction Arthroplasty. They do do a lot of OATS there though and I read somewhere here that they also do the DeNovo procedure.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:57 PM   #51
(female)

MagdaB HB User

Hi everyone here,
i just read your life-stories about OCD and to be honest it scared everything out of me!!!! i have just been diagnosed with OCD, the fragment is relatively small, 5mm x 3mm x 2mm and i am wondering ( and hoping and parying) that it will heal by itself in 3 months of NWB? do i even stand a chance?

the other way is scope, extraction of the fragment and drilling, but should i give it a try first with the 3months waiting ? i am 27 years old, i don't remember to have sprang my ankle in the past so hard... is it better do go with the surgery at once?

what will happen in the next years if after these 3 months i will use my foot normally?

please give me hope and an answer would be very nice from you too,
thank you in advance,
Magda

Old 11-12-2010, 11:12 AM   #52
(female)

Silverstarfish HB User

Hey Guys,

I have a severe OCD on the medial side of my talar dome. Had microfracture and it failed. the lesion has grown. I dance professionally and am trying to avoid the OATS or cadaver plugs because both are so invasive. I live in California and there is a Dr who does stem cell articular cartillgae paste grafting. It seems like a fabulous alternative to all of these surgeries. Anyone heard anything about Articular cartilage paste grafting?

Any one gotten cadaver plugs?

help!

Old 01-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #53
(female)

michaels1mom HB User

Well, after many months of PT and trying to let my body heal itself, I resorted to surgery 4 weeks ago. I had loose cartilage removed (described to me as a "significant cartilage injury), microfracture of talus for 2 ocd's, ATFL repair (which I didn't expect to happen prior to surgery) and both of my peroneal tendons "defrayed".. I had an excellent surgeon and I totally trusted him.
I was NWB first 2 weeks post op in a splint/crutches and then he wanted to put me in a cast for 4 weeks. I HATE casts...have anxiety,claustrophobic problems with them. I know it sounds silly but it is true. So, my surgeon agreed to let me wear a boot for 4 weeks but I have to wear it as if it were a cast...no taking it off for baths, not for changing clothes,etc. He doesn't want me to evert, invert, twist. I thought the nwb cast was because he didn't want me to bear weight. But I actually am allowed to bear weight in the boot. It's the ATFL tendon that apparently needs to be stabilized. So, two more weeks in the boot and then I can start PT hopefully.

I left the hospital with two catheters in the back of my knee that were almost like epidurals for two nerves. The catheters were attached to medicine balls (like iv's) and my leg from the knee down was totally numb for 3 days. It was wonderful.
The biggest problem I am having now is the incision site for the ATFL/peroneal procedures. So, I did indeed have to take the boot off and am keeping a watchful eye on the healing. If I were in a cast, I don't know how all of that would have been handled. The incision isn't healing as quickly as I'd like, but it's not infected. It just split open in a few places about a week after suture removal. They wouldn't put steristrips on after the suture removal bc I am "sensitive" to adhesive... and I have been told that walking in the boot puts stress on that incision just because of the location of the incision.
So, my injury (stepping off a curb and totally missing my heal and stepping onto my lateral ankle as if it were my heal and hearing pop,pop,crack,crack) on Feb 1st was indeed an experience for me. I do believe the body can heal itself to a point but when there are structural repairs that need to be made, for me it was a quality of life issue and a much thought about decision.
I wanted to run again...not marathons. I just wanted to be able to run with my kids as I played with them. I wanted to walk without pain. I wanted to take my kids back to Disney and walk with them for more than 5 minutes without pain.
For most of 2010, I toughed it out. But it got to a point where I knew I had to go forward with the surgery.
So, that's what's happened with me. I hope everyone else is continuing to heal and having some success and pain relief and function improvement.
Happy 2011!

The Following User Says Thank You to michaels1mom For This Useful Post:
CC5krunner (01-19-2011)
Old 01-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #54
(female)

ketaylor1980 HB Userketaylor1980 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaels1mom View Post
I hope you get your questions answered today and you like the new doctor.
Keep us posted. We feel your pain. Wishing you some resolve today with a plan of action!
Well, I have good and bad news from the doctor. My OCD is intact so it isn't stage IV however it is 1cmx5mm. Dr. Baily believes that I have had it for a long time and doesn't think that that is what is causing me my pain. He did tell me that I have tissue that is being pinched by my bones. Its a type of injury that dancers normally get and he has no clue why I have this. He also said my ankle was unstable. I watched him while he moved my ankle in ways I didn't think possible. So all in all now I have

1. plantar fasciitis
2. achilles tendonitis
3. unstable ankle
4. ankle impingement
5. OCD 1cmx5mm (only option for surgery would be open)

So no wonder why I am in pain. I got a cortizone shot today for the ankle impingement OUCH!!! I haven't felt any relief from that yet but I am hopeful that that will fix my pain. I am also in a walking boot for the next two weeks until my next appointment.

Closed Thread