It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bone Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2010, 07:58 AM   #1
(female)

kmarshy HB User
Bone Marrow Biopsy - High Platelets

Hi, My sister and myself (although I am not undergoing any tests at the moment as my platelets although raised are only slightly raised and have been for years but stable) have had high platelets and whites for some time. We have both been to hematology (here in the UK) numerous times and I have been discharged as mine are stable and if I get ill then I was told to go to the doctors!! But my sister (who was discharged some years ago too) has now got platelets that are about 700-800 and also high whites, B12 anemia and lost over 2.5 stone in 6 months.

We both have had the Jak2 blood tests and both tested negative (so as we thought that ruled out PV) but after going to hemotology today she has now got to have a bone marrow biopsy done and also a Jak2 test of the bone marrow. I always thought that Jak2 was tested via blood and not marrow? Does anyone know why after testing negative with the blood test they would be doing this. She has lost so much weight and her legs are so thin but they have said it "could" be Essential Thrombocythemia but only time will tell. (They also have got me down as Thrombocytosis with no known cause). Does anyone have any idea why they would want to do a bone marrow though and what other things this could be?

Last edited by kmarshy; 06-02-2010 at 07:58 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to kmarshy:
ram121848 (03-30-2011)
Old 07-28-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
(female)

miss ET HB User
Re: Bone Marrow Biopsy - High Platelets

I was diagnosed with Essential Thrombocythemia in September 2009. I had a bone marrow biopsy to rule out any cancer or anything else, and they tested me for JAK2 which came back negative. I'm not sure if they did JAK2 through my bone marrow though. Even if she's JAK2 negative, it won't hurt to do a biopsy just to be on the safe side.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2010, 08:07 AM   #3
(female)

femmedeviant HB User
Re: Bone Marrow Biopsy - High Platelets

Hi Kmarshy
When I had my bone marrow test in Dec 2008 they also did the JAK2 test, I'm not sure if they tested the bone marrow or blood for that result though. I was told that the only definitive way to diagnose PV is with the bone marrow test, because PV starts in the bone marrow and leads to overproduction of blood cells that aren't 100% formed correctly. Although something like 95% of people with PV have the JAK2 mutation, some don't. So I'm assuming that they want the definitive answer, because maybe you & your sister are some of the few people that have PV but not the JAK2. I also think the bone marrow might help them to diagnose if it is something other than PV. It is not a fun procedure but didn't take too long, and I'm sure getting an answer would make it worth it. I hope you find some answers soon

Megan

Closed Thread