It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bone Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2010, 04:18 AM   #1
(female)

coolgama HB User
whole body bone scan

What does a whole body bone scan rule out besides cancer? Does it rule out MS or other diseases? I had one not to long ago and although I am cancer free now, wondering what explanation my symptoms could be other than arthritis and fibromyalgia. Did not meet with my doctor. His PA just left me a message that said "Good news. No cancer seen anywhere." I have fatigue, leg pain, dbl vision, eye nerve swelling and mild proptosis, trouble swallowing and tongue swelling and irritation and weight gain. Any ideas anyone? 1

P.S. My BP has been averaging 134/79 PR 92

Last edited by coolgama; 09-22-2010 at 05:06 AM. Reason: P.S. My BP has been averaging 134/79 PR 92

The following user gives a hug of support to coolgama:
mramirea (02-03-2012)
Old 09-22-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: whole body bone scan

a whole body bone scan will detect any bump, blip, darkness, lightness, or the slightest irregularity on/in any bone in your body. So any disease that can be detected by X-Rays, Cat Scans or MRI's the bone scan will pick up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Leo123 HB UserLeo123 HB User

Katlin,

A bone scan is a good way to check for certain diseases most especially diseases involving the bones only. But diseases of the tissues and organs will require CT scans or MRI and even some of the bone diseases are better seen by a CT scan than a bone scan.

Basically all bone scan does is highlights (From Isotope injection you get prior to the scan) areas of activity in your bones.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

And no unfortunatley diseases like MS and Fibro are more neuroligical diseases and while they do affect the body in the sense of pain in the bones, joints, etc.. They do originate from the brain.

In order to check for MS you would need an MRI to check for activity in the white matter of your brain. Basically they look for white matter lesions and even they dont necessarily mean you have MS as I know because I have recently had a brain MRI and it came back with white matter lesions and now we need to do a whole host of other test to see what they mean.

Usually MS is diagnosed via the brain MRI (Check for Lesions) as well as your symptoms play a large role in forming a positive diagnosis. I have also heard that they can sometimes check from spinal tap.

Fibromyalgia is a disease that there is no difinitive way to figure out as well. It is a disease that 95% diagnosed based on your symptoms. Fibro is even harder to figure out than MS by alot. Techically no one can truly say if you have or not.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #5
(female)

coolgama HB User
Question Re: whole body bone scan

Thank you all for your answers. Just diagnosed with thyroid eye disease. Eye dr could not say whether I have Graves because, he said, that wasn't his area. But he did say I definitely have thyroid eye disease from looking at the brain MRI and ultrasound of the eyes. Having bloodwork done to get the answers concerning thyroid function. Hope my endo is the right kind of dr, from what I've read in these message boards. I did have a brain MRI that showed a flattened pituitary gland. Could that be the culprit? I had thyroid bloodwork but it wasn't the complete test that showed everything. The eye dr only asked for TSH level and the March bloodwork did not include Free T3. If I don't have a dysfunctional thyroid, what else causes thyroid eye disease?

Last edited by coolgama; 09-28-2010 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Additional question--what else can cause thyroid eye disease?

Old 09-28-2010, 08:18 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Yes that is what I was referring to any diseases in her bones. She hadn't mentioned the tissues and organs being a problem, so I thought she understood that the body scan would only light up bone material.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:44 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Katlin,

Sorry, That makes sense.

Last edited by Leo123; 09-29-2010 at 08:54 AM.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

leo, no big deal. I've had many bone scans over the years, that's the only reason I piped up. It's always kinda freaky when they come in dressed in a lead suit with heavy lead gloves, and take out the little metal briefcase with the skull and crossbones and "danger radioactive material" stamped on the outside and open it and then take out the box inside with it's "skull and crossbones and the same danger sign" on it, and then take out the syringe...and your like, "sure no problem, you're going to inject that in me????? *l*

Old 09-30-2010, 07:55 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Katlin, Oh I freaked out big time with mine as well.

They had to do a bone scan because they found a tumor in one of my ribs.

And I felt the same way you did. "Hey you are going to inject that in me (Skull and bones and sign from a nuclear bomb on the needle), wait just a second here"

I kept asking questions like how bad is it for you, what kind of side effects can I expect, how much radiation is there relative to an x-ray or C-T scan, etc..etc..

finally I just said I really like to talk to my doctor and ask if there is something else we can do that involves to radioactive injection. And then I thought about and I said what else can really scan all my bones to check for other tumors, i better just get it done.

I drove them crazy for like an hour.

Last edited by Leo123; 09-30-2010 at 07:58 AM.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:36 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo123 View Post
Katlin, Oh I freaked out big time with mine as well.

They had to do a bone scan because they found a tumor in one of my ribs.

And I felt the same way you did. "Hey you are going to inject that in me (Skull and bones and sign from a nuclear bomb on the needle), wait just a second here"

I kept asking questions like how bad is it for you, what kind of side effects can I expect, how much radiation is there relative to an x-ray or C-T scan, etc..etc..

finally I just said I really like to talk to my doctor and ask if there is something else we can do that involves to radioactive injection. And then I thought about and I said what else can really scan all my bones to check for other tumors, i better just get it done.

I drove them crazy for like an hour.
I drove em nuts too, at one point when the nurse was tyring to convince how perfectly safe it was and I shouldn't be paying any attention to the warnings on the box, I said, "Okay, fine, you take that lead glove off adn reach in their and grab that syringe. She was like, ummmm I think I have to go get another tech to help you. *l*

Closed Thread