HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Cancer: Bone (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-bone/)
-   -   Bone Scan results (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-bone/769684-bone-scan-results.html)

mim 09-24-2010 03:46 PM

Bone Scan results

I was dx w/osteo arthritis 2 years ago in all my my ankles, knees, entire lower spinal and upper spinal areas, shoulders, and wrists and hands. I have nodules on 8 fingers (including both thumbs) at the top joint, and on the middle joint in 2 fingers.
My ANA was negative.
I run low grade fevers and in the past 3 months have developed some kind of skin condition on my face that I need to get a referral to a dermatologist.

For the last year I have have excruciating flares in my ankles and shoulders. Eventually being in a flare with my ankles for a 3 month stint that resulted in me having to use a cane to be mobile.
Right now, I can walk ok.

I had a bone scan b/c my fusion area at C5/6 was in addition to my neck and shoulders in excruciating pain.
The results have me with more questions, so I would appreciate any input on this. My neuro made no indication to be further tested, or whether he would be forwarding the results to my rheumy, or to anything about this scan.

Routine whole body Bone Scans were obtained after IV injection of 25mCi of TC 99m-MDP.
Increased uptake was seen in the shoulder joints, wrist joints bilaterally and also in the ankles bilaterally, consistent with inflammatory arthropathies in these regions.
Clinical correlation is indicated.

Is this indicative of RA, or another type of destructive arthritis? Thanks for your input, not knowing anything is worse than knowing!
Mim Gregg

Nummbie 09-24-2010 08:09 PM

Re: Bone Scan results

I am sure others on here can give you some good advice. I would call the rhuemy and/or set up an appt and bring the scan and paper work. OA is not inflammatory RA is and there are many other inflammatory types. If you have RA there are disease altering drugs so you may want to take action sooner than later....good luck keep us updated.

mim 09-24-2010 08:13 PM

Thanks Numbie! I have an appt set for 10/22. We have to be our own advocates, don't we. I knew there were medications to treat inflammatory arthritis conditions and am frustrated that my neuro acted so casual about it. Have a good weekend!

AuntieLeela 09-25-2010 06:52 AM

[QUOTE=mimgregg;4333361]. . . Increased uptake was seen in the shoulder joints, wrist joints bilaterally and also in the ankles bilaterally, consistent with inflammatory arthropathies in these regions.
Clinical correlation is indicated . . .[/QUOTE]

Some docs can be shockingly flippant when the problem isn't in their field of expertise (ie: not their problem) :rolleyes:.

"Inflammatory arthropathy" is just what Numm said, inflammatory arthritis of some kind, RA or not. (literal translation: "hot bone disease") I'm putting that down on the next medical form I have to fill out!:p

Having inflammation on both sides is common in RA.

Looks like you and your rheumatologist will go over your history one more time and you'll get poked for more blood tests. Probably a complete blood count (to look for anemia, common in RA), SED rate (check inflammation levels) and Rheumatoid Factor "RF". RF can be elevated by other things beside RA including viral illnesses.

Viral illness (present [I]or past[/I]) can cause bilateral inflammatory arthritis, so can lupus, Lyme disease, psoriatic arthritis, bacterial infection, reactive arthritis, gastrointestinal disorders like ulcerative colitis or celiac, etc . . .

mim 09-27-2010 03:19 PM

Thanks for your comments Auntie Leela. It confirms many things I have thought, and you are right about doctors not being concerned if it does not fall under their "umbrella". I made an appt. for this Thursday with my regular doc to get blood work done to test for all those things related to inflammatory arthritis. It is my regularly scheduled diabetes blood work check up so they may end up draining me dry ;)...lol!

Moldova 09-28-2010 04:55 PM

Mim, you mentioned some type skin condition on your face... By any chance, does your condition looks like little/tiny red "stars" over the bridge of your nose and on over your cheeks? Also it can be on a palm of your hands same tiny red "stars"... I hope not, but if yes, then it very symptomatic for Lupus. I have one, so I just wonder.
The way you describe your pain and flares, it can be anything. I wonder why do you have "Routine whole body scan"? As far as I know this is only Rx for people who had any type of cancer. Sorry, but having so many health issues as I do, I am very knowledgeable in this area.
My MIL had cancer and she has this done every year; once she changed her insurance and the new one did not want to cover this test for her. So what I am trying to say is that this test is not Rx on regular basis.

Make sure you write all your questions for your app. - this is so important. Hopefully you will get your answers and help!

Best wishes:wave:
Moldova

RFF 09-29-2010 02:44 PM

A bone scan does not diagnose a SPECIFIC disease. Any disease process which affects the bones will show increased uptake in that area since the HDP is taken into the bone based on function. Your bone is a growing, changing organ system so the whole skeleton will show on a scan. The increased uptake means the bones in that area are growing/changing faster than normal which can be from arthritis, infection, breaks, etc. They want to correlate with your clinical history ie symptoms to help decide if it is arthritis or something else. Sounds like arthritis since the uptake is located in/round joints and no uptake was mentioned in the long bones/ribs, etc. Good luck

mim 09-29-2010 07:31 PM

Moldova, both sides of my neck, my chest, my cheeks and nose have a flushed look all the time like I have high blood pressure, or am really hot even when neither is the case. In July I thought I was dealing with some adult acne on the left half of my chin up to my bottom lip, but it has healed somewhat and is red and flaky kind of like eczema. For the last 4 or so years I have gotten translucent bumps on my feet, ankles, legs, arms and hands. They sometimes itch, and I am sure they are viral in type. Now they are on my face and eyelid too, and sometimes start as what seems to be an acne bump when in fact is is one of these skin lesions instead and it takes a long time to heal. I am not sure if my hands are doing what you are describing. They will turn very white on the palms and have starburst red splotches on them, feel really hot to the touch and my hands, wrist and digits will ache. Thanks for your input!

RFF, I had the bone scan done at my neuros request. He wanted to see if the pain I was feeling at my fusion site was being possibly caused by arthritis. It did not show as such and the MRI found the pain is likely coming from compression of the chord again at that site. I will be tested in the am for inflammatory markers in my blood at my request. I am going to have to pursue the meaning of many of my test results as I have an adequate, but not great neuro and cannot count on him to be on top of everything in a timely manner. Thank you for the info