It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bone Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
(female)

KathyU HB User
Question peroneal nerve removal and drop foot

Hello. I am new to this board. I am doing some research for my husband. He has a type of bone cancer called Chondrosarcoma. He underwent surgery a few weeks ago to remove the tumor which was on his fibula. In doing this, the doc also had to remove a good portion of his peroneal nerve. This has caused drop foot. He just started PT and is only a few weeks post op. He has not been fitted for a custom AFO because he cannot quite get his foot/ankle to 90 degrees. I guess I was wanting to know if anyone else has dealt with this and if there are any procedures that could "fix" the drop foot. I have read about tendon transfer but was hoping someone could help. We have an orthopedic oncologist and but we are looking at going to a neurologist or neurosurgeon. Not sure which would be best.

Thanks!!!

Old 10-24-2010, 10:30 AM   #2
(female)

distantwings HB User
Re: peroneal nerve removal and drop foot

I am suffering with a similar problem and was hoping by this time you had seen someone with reference to the Drop Foot; what I am reading is exactly what I had been able to find in researching.

Please tell me you have found more since your post.

Last edited by moderator2; 10-24-2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: please do not post your email address

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
(female)

KathyU HB User

No, we have yet to get to another doc. The neuros around here want a referrel before they will see you and our orthopedic oncologist wants to meet with us before he will do that. Yet another run around!!!! I am still trying to research on my own but there seems to be little to nothing about this type of procedure when the nerve has been transected!!! I hope to get to a nero doc soon but who knows. I'm sorry to hear you are dealing with a similar situation. I hope you are doing well.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
(female)

DazzledStar HB User

Hi Kathy,

I'm currently in remission for osteosarcoma. I had my peroneal nerve removed due to my tumor. I suffer from severe, permanent drop foot also. From what I've been told, there is nothing you can really do to regenerate the nerve if enough of it is gone. After a certain amount is cut...it will not grow back. I hope in your husband's case he still has enough left to have some function. I can only move my foot downward a little, not up at all since I have practically no control over my ankle whatsoever, and I have no control over my toes at all. I also constantly feel as if my foot is asleep.

I highly recommended the Swede O Step foot brace. It actually lifts up your foot as you walk, instead of just remaining flat like a regular AFO. My father in law is a podiatrist, that is how I found out about this...and it's been a life saver! Or perhaps if he has enough nerve, the WalkAide would work for him, it's a device you wear around your leg that sends a signal to the brain to make the peroneal nerve work. It would not work on me since I have no peroneal nerve at all.

My oncological orthopedic surgeon wants to do a tendon transfer after I am a year out of chemo. So, they do that for some cases! It would not give full function back, but would keep my foot at 90 degrees all of the time, which is much better than simply hanging there.

Does your husband have trouble wearing shoes? I find I can only get on sandals that have a back and two straps up front by myself because I am able to put my brace down a set my foot right into it since I have no function. Wearing regular shoes is impossible!

I hope he recovers at least somewhat. Let me know if you need any information!

Old 11-29-2010, 09:36 AM   #5
(female)

distantwings HB User

I have now seen a neuro and had an emg; he states that my prognosis for recovery is poor. I continue to work with pt and tell the neuro i will just have to prove him wrong.

There is engagement in the peroneal which occurred on
thanksgiving day; the great toe did lift up for all too see. I am now wearing a carbon brace and consulting with dr. Nath about a possible tendon transfer.

Life is difficult but i hold out hope still.

Thanks for your post!

Closed Thread