It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bone Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
(male)

rdtillman HB User
crushing oxycodone

Is it okay to take oxycodone if you crush it? My son has bone cancer and has been prescribed oxycodone to help manage the pain. He also has a fentanyl patch which causes nausea and he ends up throwing up the oxydone. Can I crush the oxycodone and give it to him or will that be to much oxycodone at one time?

Old 10-14-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User
Re: crushing oxycodone

I would ask your pharmacist about changing the medication. I always check with my pharmacist when I have specific questions about a specific med.
Peggy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Searchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB User

Yes, before you take the chance please talk to his physician or the pharmacist. I am so sorry to hear of his condition. I know bone cancer is quite painful. I hope he is doing well. Sincerely, searchin

Old 10-15-2010, 06:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

Contact your son's doctor. There are liquid forms of short acting, rapid absorption (we call them break thru or bt meds) meds used for cancer patients. There are also anti-nausea meds they can give your son so he is more comfortable, including those administered in forms that don't need to be swallowed. If you've got more questions just ask.

Tigg.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

ilovehawaii HB User

While I am not a pro I have had to survive with pain meds due to every inch if my body having pain from a variety of injurys-lucky to be alive. You never mentioned if the oxycodone had tylenol in it. Most likely it sounds not but I know from my experiences tylenol can be very hard on the stomach esp with all the other meds he may be on. If he is, ask the doc to eliminate it they do make it tylenol or acetaminephin free. I could never swallow the horse pills with tylenol and the ones without are very small. I also have problems swallowing pills from what may be my nasty neck placemnt or severe gerd. Usually the script will tell you if it is a problem to crush and that is usally when you have time release..Otherwise my doctor has told me I can chew. Not sure why it is making him sick is it when he swallow or maybe it is just to strong for him and that is very common to get nausea from when you are not used to it. took awhile for me. I had to lay down to stop some of the dizzy ill feeling keeping the eyes steady. Maybe the doc can lighten the amount so he is more comfortable and yes pharmacists are able to help in your info needs but doctors are the ones prescribing so it is up to them ultimately. also having some small food on the stomach helps to releive the nausea. like a small amount of ice cream or something the kid can hold down or loves to eat to help his emotional well being. God Bless

Old 02-07-2011, 08:27 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

tingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdtillman View Post
Is it okay to take oxycodone if you crush it? My son has bone cancer and has been prescribed oxycodone to help manage the pain. He also has a fentanyl patch which causes nausea and he ends up throwing up the oxydone. Can I crush the oxycodone and give it to him or will that be to much oxycodone at one time?
Crushing a long acting pain medication can lead to dangerous highs. This is one of the ways abusers use the medication.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:10 PM   #7
(female)

JClooking HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingles View Post
Crushing a long acting pain medication can lead to dangerous highs. This is one of the ways abusers use the medication.
Oxycontin is the long-acting name of Oxycodone. Oxycodone is the short-acting medication. Purdue Pharmacy actually changed the formula for Oxycontin last year so that if you crush the pills, the drug becomes ineffective. As far as I know, they haven't done that for Oxycodone. People chose to crush the long-acting formula because it is stronger than Oxycodone.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:02 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

I think you should double check your facts about crushing the long acting oxycodone (oxycontin). Crushing the pill and taking it orally does NOT make it ineffective. Crushing it will make it almost impossible to use as an inject. drug. Folks taking this new formula of oxycontin should never crush the pill. But, as I think it has been pointed out, the question is about crushing the short acting Oxycodone. Again, always ask your doctor before changing the form or formula of a medication. BB

Closed Thread