It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bone Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
(female)

bach793 HB User
Scapulothoracic Osteoasteochondroma Advice?

Hello, I'm brand new here and I was unsure of where exactly to post this. I posted a similar thread on Bone Disorders, but maybe this is where I need to post this.
I'm a teen and I was just recently told that I have Scapulothoracic Osteoasteochondroma.
In simpler terms, I have a tumor growing on Shoulder blade. I have had the tumor for about 12 years and over the years it has caused me pain. I am told that it is extremely rare for an osteochondroma to grow here. The doctors are worried that I may have grown a cartilage cap, making the tumor malignant. I will need surgery very soon.

I was just wondering if anybody has ever undergone this exact surgery? I'd really like the details such as the actual surgery, where the incision is made and how long recovery took.

Thank you so much for anything you may have.

Last edited by mod85; 12-02-2012 at 11:11 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to bach793:
KarenHaston (06-10-2012)
Old 12-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
(female)

AdiosOscar HB User
Re: Scapulothoracic Osteoasteochondroma Advice?

Hi, I'm also a newbie to this site. I too have had an Osteochondroma on my right scapula. I recommend removing it. Im 34 and lived (suffered) with it since I was 10 or 12. I had it removed two days ago and oddly enough, even though I'm in pain, I feel relief at the same time. I was told by Dr.'s as a kid that no one would remove it unless it was found to be malignt. It was pinching muscle and putting my arm to sleep and getting caught frequently. I was having weak muscles and inflamed nerves because of it and I wish I had found my surgeon years ago. The surgery lasted about 2.5 hrs. The incision is covered in gauze so I haven't seen it but my surgeon said it was about 3 inches and its diagonal acrossed the edge of my scapula. It is painful and uncomfortable but to be honest, its not a whole lot worse than before surgery. As far as the cartilage cap, everything I've read about osteochondroma says that generally if the cartilage cap is thinner than 2-2.5 mm it is likely benign. Larger than that brings concern for malignancy. I see your post was written in May. I'm interested in how your doing and what you decided to do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread